Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

We believe you... unless you're drunk in which case it's your own fault.

(332 Posts)
iK8 Thu 31-Jul-14 13:21:15

I almost cannot believe this is a real poster issued by the NHS and home office. It is horrific and revolting victim blaming. Please, please show your support for getting this poster removed. It has no place in a civilised world.

FatewiththeLeadPiping Thu 31-Jul-14 13:22:22

Where can we go to get this removed?

iK8 Thu 31-Jul-14 13:23:51
MaidOfStars Thu 31-Jul-14 13:26:09

That is vile.

And also failing to send the (vile) message they intend.

1 in 3 rapes happen when the victim has been drinking.
2 in 3 rapes happen when the victim has not been drinking.
Therefore, most rapes happen to sober people.....I am safer drinking.

I know, I know, that's not the point - they are claiming that the 1 rape in 3 wouldn't have been a rape had the victim not been drinking - but it's a really shit mash up of stats.

WowserBowser Thu 31-Jul-14 13:28:16

That's awful. It feels like we are going backwards with that.

I was raped whilst drunk. I wouldn't have been able to fight him off sober.

Ugh. Fuckers.

MaidOfStars Thu 31-Jul-14 13:28:39

Signed.

squoosh Thu 31-Jul-14 13:29:16

3 in 3 rapes happens when a rapist decides to rape.

dawndonnaagain Thu 31-Jul-14 13:31:11

Idiots. Signed.

RhubarbRhubarbRhubarb Thu 31-Jul-14 13:33:52

Exactly squoosh ffs NHS!

iK8 Thu 31-Jul-14 13:34:15

Thank you to everyone who has signed. The link I posted must have some tracker thingy because every time someone signs from that link I get an email. My inbox is on fire!

Please share that link and post it around. I will do something about my inbox before it falls over and if it does and I can't do any work today I don't care. It will be totally worth it.

MaidOfStars Thu 31-Jul-14 13:34:34

It's on my FB now as well!

iK8 Thu 31-Jul-14 13:35:22

Does anyone else keep looking at that ad and going "WTF? WTF?"

I can barely believe it.

Disgusting, how has that been allowed? It's completely irrelevant what the victim was doing at the point when the rapist made a choice to rape. They could write any old statistic... 1/3 victims have red hair, 1/3 victims watch Eastenders, etc... TOTALLY irrelevant. Nothing a victim does causes a rape.

iK8 Thu 31-Jul-14 13:39:56

Please keep this in active.

I've deliberately not posted this in feminism because I think "Monumentally stupid fuck up displaying ignorance of epic proportions" is fine for chat.

I have reported the thread to MNHQ to see if we can get it promoted as it links directly to the MN we believe you campaign.

vestandknickers Thu 31-Jul-14 13:42:52

I think it is good to send a message to young women that they need to watch their drinking for all sorts of safety reasons. Drunk girls are much more likely to make silly decisions than sober ones. They are more likely to walk home alone late at night, get into unlicensed cabs, be flirty with men they wouldn't otherwise be interested in etc etc. I know because I did all these things!

The poster is clumsy and crass, but if it encourages safer drinking then it is a good thing. Of course rape is always the fault of the rapist, but young women can help themselves by not putting themselves in risky situations.

CateBlanket Thu 31-Jul-14 13:43:37

Drinking what? I assume the poster clarifies that point then we don't all suffer from dehydration because we're worried we might get raped if we've been drinking water or a latte hmm

Does it also clarify how much alcohol a woman can drink before she's deemed to be asking for it: one glass? two? Nothing at all?

iK8 Thu 31-Jul-14 13:46:14

The only thing that poster encourages is the rightful ire of anyone who believes that the blame for a rape lies solely with the rapist and the belief among rapists and the hard of thinking that a drunk woman deserves to be raped.

Rape is not a consequence of drinking. Rape is the consequence of being targeted by a rapist.

CateBlanket Thu 31-Jul-14 13:46:22

young women can help themselves by not putting themselves in risky situations

and what about young men? Shouldn't they be discouraged from drinking too much alcohol so they don't get into fights, get knocked down by a car whilst staggering home, rape women?

FlossyMoo Thu 31-Jul-14 13:47:00

Signed smile

I have signed too. Awful, awful poster. "Stay sober or someone will rape you!" Scare tactics and victim blaming of the worst kind.

TheOriginalSteamingNit Thu 31-Jul-14 13:48:31

My daughter was sent this by her boyfriend yesterday, in a 'think on' kind of way. She argued with him all evening about it and was quite upset.

I fucking despair.

dawndonnaagain Thu 31-Jul-14 13:49:52

but young women can help themselves by not putting themselves in risky situations. By voting for a government that doesn't allow men on the streets unaccompanied?

Honestly, none of these things apply to men, ergo, should not apply to women.

iK8 Thu 31-Jul-14 13:49:56

Every minute one of you lovely people signs this petition from the link I have posted here.

Many more people are signing than posting so thank you all.

Hoppinggreen Thu 31-Jul-14 13:50:20

While I agree that the poster is crass and the message is unclear it similar to the TV one warning about doing stupid things when drunk, I think it showed someone climbing a scaffold thinking they were a Superhero.
Rape is NEVER the victims fault but being drunk affects your judgement and can make you less likely to keep yourself safe.
Obviously women should have to keep themselves safe but sadly often they do

PoirotsMoustache Thu 31-Jul-14 13:51:00

I had been drinking. I wasn't drunk, merely a little tipsy. I clearly said no several times. He did it anyway. If I had been completely stone-cold sober he still would have done it, because that's what he wanted to do.

What a disgraceful poster. I'm sure they didn't think it through properly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now