Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Boring thread alert! How early should you get into work?

(43 Posts)
PoirotsMoustache Thu 31-Jul-14 10:53:17

There is a debate in the office at the moment, as to when you should get into work.

Some say you should be in 5-10 minutes before your day starts. So if your hours are 8.30-5.30, you should be in by 8.25, turning on your pc and getting sorted for the day. This would also mean not turning off your pc and clearing up until 5.30, thereby not leaving the office until 5.35/5.40.

Others feel that you shouldn't have to be in the office until the time you start, so 8.30 should be when you walk in and turn on your pc etc. They also think 5.30 should be when you leave, so closing everything down starts 5.20/5.25. The general consensus is if you're there 5 minutes early and 5 minutes late every day, the company is getting 50 minutes free a week out of you.

What are your views?

angelos02 Thu 31-Jul-14 10:54:54

I am paid from 9 until 5 so get to work at 9. I am not in a high salaried career so why would I work unpaid.

PoirotsMoustache Thu 31-Jul-14 10:59:58

Thank you for your reply, angelos02.

Anyone else?

mrsleomcgary Thu 31-Jul-14 10:59:59

I work 8.30-5.30 and am usually in just before half past, maybe 8.28, and leave just after 5.30, so shut down pc at 5.30, wash my mug and clear up desk and out by 5.35. Most people in my office are the same though you do get the 'heroes' who arrive at 7am and don't leave until 6pm.

Well, I'm on flexi time so it's slightly different. But I 'clock in' on my way into the building and 'clock out' on my way back out again. So I am being paid for that whole time, while I hang up my jacket, turn on the PC, say Hi to my colleagues, pop my lunch in the fridge, etc, and the equivalent at the end of the day.

So in fairness, I think turning up in the office at 9:00 and leaving it at 5:30 is the equivalent.

My firm certainly don't get that time as an extra.

I start at 8.25 but am usually there by 7.30. I like time to have a coffee and sort myself out. I don't tend to hang around for very long at the end of the day though - half an hour at most, usually, unless I've got a meeting.

PeppermintInfusion Thu 31-Jul-14 11:04:40

I work the hours I'm set, I'm probably getting in about 8.28 and it doesn't take me that long to get logged in etc. depending what I'm doing at the end of the day I'll log off at 5.30. Intend to clear my desk earlier in the afternoon to speed up me leaving.
My DH gets anxious if he's not at his desk for 8.20 at the latest, drives me mad as we travel in together at the min.
In my line of work, there is a mix of approaches as it's not really strict as individuals are quite autonomous. By the time I get a water/coffee, put my lunch away etc it's definitely after 8.30blush

I remember when I worked in a call centre the expectation was that you'd be at your desk, all set to take your first call bang on your start time. To do this required being in work about 15 mins early as they hot desked, needed to get your stuff and log in to about 5 apps before you could start.

Depends whether you have a 'bum on seat' sort of job that requires you to be available from a certain time

TheresLotsOfFarmyardAnimals Thu 31-Jul-14 11:05:19

I get in a few minutes early but more to allow for traffic and leave bang on time. I put my glass in the dishwasher on my way out the door.

PoirotsMoustache Thu 31-Jul-14 11:06:40

Wow, Remus, that is an early start! Do you spend that time doing work-related stuff also, or is it just your time for getting yourself geared up for work?

DownByTheRiverside Thu 31-Jul-14 11:08:20

Depends what the job is, and if it makes your day a bit easier to be there earlier or leave later.
I think it's a matter for the individual if you are not paid for it, and I'd be wary of the virtue of others becoming an expectation by my employer for all staff. if they feel it's esential to be there 10-15 minutes before starting, then you should be paid accordingly for the extra hour.

mrsleomcgary Thu 31-Jul-14 11:14:58

Should have added in my last post, taking your full lunch hour seems to be frowned upon by my psycho boss therefore I generally only use the full hour once a week at most. I usually nip out for twenty minutes and eat at my desk while working. Therefore they are essentially getting a free 40mins a day out of me so I'm not going to hang around longer than I need to at the start/end of the day unless something happens that must be dealt with (happens from time to time in my work)

PM - work stuff too: photocopying, planning etc, sometimes an early morning meeting (am a teacher).

DownByTheRiverside Thu 31-Jul-14 11:23:35

I thought you were Remus. smile
I used to be in at 7.30am too, as were most of my colleagues. Makes life easier, because the tasks have to be done anyway either at work or at home.

I work 9-6

in at 8:57ish

out by 6:02ish

grin

PoirotsMoustache Thu 31-Jul-14 11:30:35

Remus Ok, so you don't actually have time to do your whole job in the hours 'allocated'. If you didn't come in early, you'd be behind - is that right?

mrsleomcgary That's awful, I can't believe your boss gets away with not letting you have a full hour. That's over 3 hours a weeks s/he gets out of you for free! (Um, I suspect you're already aware of that fact...)

DownByTheRiverside I agree with you. I think working hours should be set so setting up and closing down time is included. So, to use the example of a PP, those in a call centre would officially start at and be paid from 8.15, but the phones won't go on until 8.30.

PoirotsMoustache Thu 31-Jul-14 11:31:44

greyhoundgymnastics Much like me then grin

There is definitely not enough time to do it in the normal school day, no. But I make a choice to get there early, too.

2sugarsmeans3 Thu 31-Jul-14 11:35:34

We have to be in work 15 prior to our shifts start time and are normally there at least 15 minutes after they've stopped paying us. Yesterday I was till with customers 30 minutes after my shift 'ended' (no one to relieve me). Won't be paid for that though. angry

mrsleomcgary Thu 31-Jul-14 11:38:31

It's not so much that he doesn't let us, more if he phones looking for us while we happen to be on lunch he has a melt down and makes someone phone us on our mobile so he can scream at us for not being on the office! Came as a shock as every other job has been pretty flexible with regards to lunch, so you had an hour but if one day you were away for an hour and ten minutes it was fine as long as the time was made up. And yes, i am currently looking for a new job!

AudacityOfHuge Thu 31-Jul-14 11:40:28

Everyone where I work gets in an hour early to set up our shop if they are on the early. I stopped doing it because wasn't appreciated in the slightest, our manager was letting people even he thought looked 'dodgy' in before opening. Everyone else still goes in early and I've been demonised for not coming in til my start time. Hey ho.

OnlyLovers Thu 31-Jul-14 11:57:21

I get in on time or a few minutes late, but then spend about ten minutes making breakfast and coffee (in my defence I make a pot of coffee for everyone and pour them their cups!).

I eat and have my coffee at my desk while checking Mumsnet my emails and my boss's diary.

I don't have a 'bum on seat' service type job though, so this doesn't impact others. And if something is happening first thing that I have to be ready for, I eat on the way in, make sure I'm on time and hit the ground running.

I often have a short lunchbreak or none, and quite often work until 6 or 7 or sometimes later (I'm meant to finish at 5.30), so I don't feel guilty.

DramaAlpaca Thu 31-Jul-14 12:07:28

When I first started my job I was very enthusiastic about it and I used to come in early and leave late.

When I realised it was going to be neither appreciated nor rewarded I changed my ways. I now arrive just before 9.30 and leave at 5.30, and I don't feel guilty about it.

The only exception to this is a few times a year when we are exceptionally busy & we have to do whatever hours are necessary to get the job done.

Littlef00t Thu 31-Jul-14 12:26:31

My first job was a call centre so I've always taken the approach of being able to actually work from start time, rather than making a drink etc. if a client called at 9am needing help, they wouldn't appreciate it if I still needed to log into my computer etc etc.

BocaDeTrucha Thu 31-Jul-14 12:38:04

I, like pretty much most teachers, arrive at work about 45 mins before the school day starts. But even in previous jobs, I've always been someone who gets in early, I like to drink my coffee workout being hassled by work, calls etc and I like to have a chat with others before getting stuck into work. But it's a very personal thing.... I just hate being rushed!!!

beamme Thu 31-Jul-14 12:38:45

I've never had a job close to home and travel along busy routes in rush hour. I always give myself at least an extra 15 minutes in case of traffic jams and accidents. So usually I'm in work early. But I'll usually go and have a coffee in the staff room before starting bang on time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now