Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

WWYD? Passport stupidity.

(29 Posts)
nachohousekeeper Thu 31-Jul-14 08:52:45

I stupidly applied for DDs passport late compounded by the fact that I then forgot to include payment. So, her application officially began on 17th July so I have no guarantee that it will be back in time - we travel on 9th August.

DH, DD (15), DS (9), ML (86) and I are due to go to France via the Eurotunnel, we have rented a house for a week.

If the passport does not come, our options are limited.

1 - DD stays behind - plenty of people for her to stay with but I would feel shit.

2 - We don't go - only chance to get away, can't afford to do something else instead, loose all the money.

3 - I stay behind with DD in the hope that it comes on the Monday or Tuesday and we get the Eurostar or a ferry to meet up.

Option 3 is not great because we have gone to a massive effort to make it doable with MIL who is anxious, not very mobile and can't really be left alone. So DH would not be able to do much with DS until we arrive - plus no guarantee that it will arrive anyway.

I am not moaning about the passport - it is entirely our own fault and I know I should have sorted it earlier.

Just wondering what other people would do?

FruVikingessOla Thu 31-Jul-14 08:55:19

I think I'd go for option 3.

Cherryblossom11 Thu 31-Jul-14 08:56:18

FWIW - we travelled to France via euro tunnel in May - no passport check was done on the way out at all - they only checked them coming back to UK. Since we're all EU, would another sort of ID suffice?- worth checking I'd have thought.

MirandaWest Thu 31-Jul-14 08:57:20

Any way the passport can get fast tracked?

Don't go for option 2. Not sure which I'd go for out of 1 and 3 though.

HairyPotter Thu 31-Jul-14 08:58:02

Truthfully, there is not a chance I would leave my 15yr old dd (I have one too) at home. Especially when it's my fault she doesn't have a passport. Sorry.

I would do option 3. Have you followed up your application to see how far along it is?

GoEasyPudding Thu 31-Jul-14 08:58:10

It's got to be option 3.

How long is your holiday? one week or 2?

TheTrashheapHasSpoken Thu 31-Jul-14 08:58:11

You never know, at 15 DD might like option 1! Have you asked her which she would prefer?

TiffanyToothache Thu 31-Jul-14 08:59:00

how does dd feel about the options. If she was OK with it, I would prob go with option 1 then really make it up to her! Weekend in London with a friend, e.g.

GoEasyPudding Thu 31-Jul-14 09:00:07

oops sorry, now seen its for a week.
It's such rotten luck.

TheTrashheapHasSpoken Thu 31-Jul-14 09:00:16

You could always try as cherry suggested and on return you can explain that she 'lost' it during your trip!

ohdearitshappeningtome Thu 31-Jul-14 09:00:28

I think you need to ring the passport office! They will tell u u
Shouldn't have booked without a passport(bunch of bollocks-
We shud be able to book our holidays when we want)

I have no faith in passport office, I'm inmy 5th week of waiting for my 15 week old sons passport and no fuxker will ring me back!!

nachohousekeeper Thu 31-Jul-14 09:02:06

I am having a frustrating time with the passport office because the only way I can speak to someone is to request a call back - I have now missed 2 because when I'm at work I can't always answer the phone if I'm seeing patients or in a meeting. My latest offering from them is to ring on Saturday when there is only a week to travel date and they will then consider fastracking it. It has been registered as awaiting examination but not showing any errors or problems with the form so there is stilla chance it might get here.

Interesting thought about not needing the passport - I may ring the Eurotunnell people. Although she doesn't have any other ID anyway so not sure about that.

She is being so calm about it and keeps saying she will stay behind which is making me feel even more guilty.

TheFallenMadonna Thu 31-Jul-14 09:06:38

Is it a renewal? I reckon it will be back in time. My mum's renewal came back in 2 weeks. And I just did a fast track application for dd's renewal, and it came back in 6 days. You can upgrade for free to fast track if you travel in 7 days. Not sure if you can pay to upgrade earlier.

HortenMarket Thu 31-Jul-14 09:07:23

Oh no! I think I would do option 3. I am glad your DD is being so sensible about it (I doubt I would have at 15) but I would feel so awful leaving her behind even if she said she was fine with it. I think you need photo ID to go through EU borders but I presume as she's only 15 passport would be all she has. Although don't quote me on that! Good luck.

Gileswithachainsaw Thu 31-Jul-14 09:08:43

Ask your dd. She might like option 1.

I'd have loved that

Shia Thu 31-Jul-14 09:12:44

My daughter is 16, she would have preferred option one if it was a trip with a younger child.

Patricia909 Thu 31-Jul-14 09:15:07

It will probably turn up at the last minute! But if it does not, could you travel with the family, leave DD with friends and then let her travel alone on Eurostar if the passport turns up the following week? Young people aged 12 to 15 can travel unaccompanied. You just need to fill in a form. Obviously friends will need to agree to host her for the full length of holiday if the passport does not arrive.

Cherryblossom11 Thu 31-Jul-14 09:25:02

To follow up my earlier post - Have just looked at 'official' advice, and because the UK is one of 5 countries that don't issue ID cards, passports are the only officially accepted travel documents. Didn't want to lead you down the garden path with my earlier anecdotal story! (Although they really did only check them coming home)

I wouldn't do option 3, would be very disheartening waiting for the post to arrive every day, if it didn't then appear. Pay for fast track if possible I'd say. Or option 1 - at 15, she might be secretly over the moon with that.

MerryInthechelseahotel Thu 31-Jul-14 09:26:12

I paid for a fast track for ds. You will get it within 2 or 3 days if you do. Good luck.

Bowlersarm Thu 31-Jul-14 09:26:53

1 if she wants that option.

3 if she doesn't.

nachohousekeeper Thu 31-Jul-14 09:31:37

We are currently wavering between 1 and 3. We have sort of agreed that if we go with option 3, we will have a final deadline and if it doesn't come, I will go for the last 4-5 days and leave DD with friends.

However, I still hate that option. I am happy to happy to pay for the fastrack but it seems like an impossibility to even request that at the moment as they won't talk to you until there is only a week left. I have spoken to 5 different people in the last 24 hours and they seem to be bound by rigid rules and processes which don't seem to take in to account that you can't always be by the phone.

Will keep hoping it gets here.

staverton Thu 31-Jul-14 09:31:57

Fast track it when they call on Saturday
Say a family member is ill
You'll get it back 2 days later

Bedofwool Thu 31-Jul-14 09:35:50

The UK did not join in on the Shanklin treaty. We therefore cannot pass boarders without a passport. Usually UK ferry passport control is manned by the French and do not look at your passport but on the French side it is manned by the UK passport agency and do look at your passport. If you lost said passport it would be a very long wait at the ferry port for authorisation.
Going by Euro tunnel I would imagine they would look at the passport on the UK side.
I would keep phoning and phoning and phoning - you get my idea!

NotNewButNameChanged Thu 31-Jul-14 09:39:34

Even if she prefers option 1 and you are happy to leave her to her own devices, or you end up doing option 3, I do hope you will find a way to seriously make it up to her. She's being very mature about (many teenagers would NOT and maybe she actually is very disappointed but hiding it). I'd have been bloody furious!

nachohousekeeper Thu 31-Jul-14 09:43:46

Well, she is desperate to go to Comiccon in London in October so I guess that is pretty much a given now! We were planning on going for one day anyway but I think a three day ticket is going to be in order.

There are lots of anecdotes online about people getting through the tunnel without passports being checked but there are an equal number of people saying they got through as those that were turned back. I don't think it's worth risking. Will keep on at the passport office.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now