Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Pay has come in, its erm, not what I expected..

(30 Posts)
shouldnthavesaid Thu 31-Jul-14 06:19:20

I work as a nursing auxiliary, 37.5 hours a week including weekends that are calculated at enhanced rates. I was told my rate of pay is £7.07 an hour and I should expect to get £1000 ish per month.

I worked half of last month, was given £700. I was told I'd get my enhancements for last month and full pay this month today. I've only received £780.

I've got rent to pay, £30-£40 a week on transport, broadband, mobile, tv licence, food and leisure to come out of that. it works out that I'd have enough to scrape food and transport but nothing extra at the end of the month - nothing saved, no money for leisure or clothes etc.

I'm not sure what to do. I've never had a proper paid job before and was told I'd get a good wage with this,

shouldnthavesaid Thu 31-Jul-14 06:21:23

Oops, phone not working - perhaps I am getting a good wage and don't realise it?

I'm meeting with my boss this afternoon and also getting my full pay slip today so will know more later but I'm in a panic - I'm going to have to take on a second job I think if I'm going to live OK?

cricketballs Thu 31-Jul-14 06:23:34

Your net pay would be £1060 on that hourly rate, but then stoppages have to be taken (tax, national insurance). Have you had your payslip? What tax code is being used?

bronya Thu 31-Jul-14 06:26:14

Are you on an emergency tax code perhaps?

FlossyMoo Thu 31-Jul-14 06:26:45

Not deducting any pension payments (which will be about £20 I think) your take home pay should be £1020 per month after tax & NI.

So there is clearly a mistake being made. Check your wage slip and speak to your manager today.

LizzieMint Thu 31-Jul-14 06:27:00

Have they got you on an emergency tax code maybe? Although from first glance it doesn't seem that far off what you will get once tax, NI is taken off £1060.

I think your gross pay from your figures should be around £1,144.00 per month? If you worked half a month and were paid around £700, have they split that amount over two months do you think?

shouldnthavesaid Thu 31-Jul-14 06:27:41

I'm not sure. I know they take off a percentage for my pension as well.

Thing is I have worked mainly weekends and I was told I get time and a half for Saturday and double for Sunday. I'm now worried that if I am not down for weekends next month that I'm not going to be able to make ends meet at all, if that's what my pays like with enhancements what's it going to be like

shouldnthavesaid Thu 31-Jul-14 06:28:54

I'm in work in 20 mins, going to get my slip then and seeing manager this afternoon anyway.

FlossyMoo Thu 31-Jul-14 06:30:41

Full Details

Year Month 1 Week
Gross Wage £13,650 £1,138 £263
Taxable Wage £3,650 £304 £70
Tax Paid £730 £61 £14
National I £683 £57 £13
Take-home pay £12,237 £1,020 £235

TheCSLibraryPree Thu 31-Jul-14 06:52:12

When I worked for the NHS (left just over 3 years ago so not that long ago) we got 30% extra on a Saturday and 60% extra on a Sunday not time and a half/double time.

It doesn't sound right though, I earned more than that when I was an HCA back in the mid-1990's!!

OnIlkleyMoorBahTwat Thu 31-Jul-14 07:03:31

If you're in the NHS pension scheme, contributions will be a bit more than £20 pm. If you pay 6% of your gross salary it will be about £60-70 pm.

That doesn't explain the discrepancy though - about £1k pm sounds about right, depending on how your unsocial hours payments work out.

I work in the public sector but our payroll is done by an NHS facility. Mistakes are common and it can take ages for changes like tax code updates to filter through so don't be afraid of asking for an extra payment to be sent now not next month if they are leaving you short.

If it's your only job, your tax code should say 1000 L. If it says anything else there could be a problem.

CharlieSierra Thu 31-Jul-14 07:13:23

You may have been auto enrolled in the pension scheme, if so you can opt out and receive your contributions back but you need to act quickly. (I'm not recommending, but it's your right to do so).

shouldnthavesaid Thu 31-Jul-14 09:47:13

I'm on emergency tax - I've paid out about 500 in contributions to various schemes because I couldnt produce a P45, having never worked before. Am apparently owed a fair bit but could take a while for that to come through.

shouldnthavesaid Thu 31-Jul-14 09:47:57

HMRC are striking though so might be a while to get it sorted.

KnackeredMuchly Thu 31-Jul-14 09:51:55

I'm certain you're on emeegency tax - your pay slip will show you. It's a huge amount they take. You need to ring the tax office

anchovies Thu 31-Jul-14 09:52:02

Why didn't they let you sign a p46 to say this is your first/only job since April? No reason to be on emergency tax sad

KnackeredMuchly Thu 31-Jul-14 09:52:36

Whoops sorry I should RTFT.

shouldnthavesaid Thu 31-Jul-14 09:55:40

It's a 0T M1 code and as such they're not giving me a personal allowance at all at the moment.

I'm in an absolute panic to be honest. I have savings but it's not enough to keep me going.

Colleagues are saying I might not get any money back and might not get it sorted until April.

shouldnthavesaid Thu 31-Jul-14 09:57:00

Will they let me claim income support or something do you suppose until this is sorted? I won't be able to afford to buy anything but food and buses on that.

magpiegin Thu 31-Jul-14 09:59:31

Call your local tax office, if you don't know it then payroll will tell you. You will get the money back. It does take time but if you get the ball rolling now it will be quicker. They should be able to change tax code for future months on the phone (they've done this for me before).

OnIlkleyMoorBahTwat Thu 31-Jul-14 10:06:42

It will get sorted before April, don't worry smile.

If a P46 is what needs to happen - have a look into that as I don't know how it works - google it - it could be a form downloadable from the HMRC website, or ask your HR dept.

However, be prepared to be pro-active with payroll etc. As I said before, they often don't have a sense of urgency and usually say �we�ll sort it in time for next month�s payroll�, which may be OK as a one off, but not if it leaves you without money for food and transport that month, or if it doesn�t get sorted in time for next month�s payroll, which is often the case.

Be aware though that cut offs are very early in the month - it could be within the next few days.

Could you borrow from a relative, or arrange an overdraft with your bank or buy your food etc on a credit card so you can pay it off when this is sorted - just as a managing cashflow solution - not in order to get into debt.

You will get it sorted before April. Ring the tax office immediately and let them know this is your only/main job.

roomfullofstars Thu 31-Jul-14 11:55:17

Hope you get it sorted soon.

You should be earning triple that wage for the work you do. Just wanted to throw that in! smile

bronya Thu 31-Jul-14 12:05:43

Yes, ring them now. They generally sort this quite quickly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now