Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Why don't cars have a front numberplate in American films?

(146 Posts)
lucysmam Wed 30-Jul-14 21:58:23

Do they have them irl?

olaflikeswarmhugs Wed 30-Jul-14 21:59:48

I've wondered this too !!

but I wonder a lot about American laws and culture from watching far too much American TV

lucysmam Wed 30-Jul-14 22:00:47

We're watching Breaking Bad & I just asked dp. His helpful response was <shrug> dunno hmm

NotCitrus Wed 30-Jul-14 22:01:16

Generally no, and the license plate is separate from the car - so doesn't prove what car it is. Road tax being paid used to be done by tags attached to the plate, a bit like our tax discs.

So if you get a vanity plate then you just stick it on your car, no need to register it.

BulletLaVolta Wed 30-Jul-14 22:01:39

They only have them on the back irl.

crazyoldfish Wed 30-Jul-14 22:01:41

It isn't (or wasn't at least) a legal requirement in California at least.

Pointlessfan Wed 30-Jul-14 22:01:54

My sister lives in the US. You don't have to have a front plate there.

drspouse Wed 30-Jul-14 22:02:22

It depends on the state. Some require both and some only one.

Floop Wed 30-Jul-14 22:03:03

You don't have to have one in California.

lucysmam Wed 30-Jul-14 22:04:06

Interesting, I thought it might just be a film/tv thing maybe.

Is a vanity plate different to a numberplate like we have in the UK then?

CheerfulYank Wed 30-Jul-14 22:04:31

Most cars I've seen (and I've lived in the US my whole life) have both. smile

Ask away, Olaf!

MirandaWest Wed 30-Jul-14 22:04:41

They only have back number plates afaik.

lucysmam Wed 30-Jul-14 22:10:16

I wonder why they usually only have one on telly then Cheerful.

Thanks for answering smile

TheNumberfaker Wed 30-Jul-14 22:15:33

I'm sure I heard that they have bigger parking spaces in America so they tend to park forwards with rear plates visible from the road. You would be looked at suspiciously if you reversed in as it would be obscuring your plates.

olaflikeswarmhugs Wed 30-Jul-14 22:33:26

Thanks yank although you may regret this ! gringrin

Ok first ones that spring to mind are ... What do school leavers do in the last few months of high school ? From what I've seen they do their exams and get their uni acceptance before they actually leave ? Over here (Scotland) we do our exams at the end of school then basically leave right after our last exam , then have to wait til august to find out of we have passed and therefore got into uni .

SconeRhymesWithGone Wed 30-Jul-14 22:39:17

It varies by state. I live in Florida. We have them only on the back.

SconeRhymesWithGone Wed 30-Jul-14 22:54:58

A vanity plate, usually technically called a personalized plate, is one that (at least in Florida) you special order from the DMV as opposed to just getting the next random number that comes up. It may be a combination of letters and numbers that spells out something personal to the car owner.

In Florida, we can also get specialty tags that help support causes. I have this one.

AlpacaLypse Wed 30-Jul-14 23:00:19

I believe that most US states only require the registration plate to be carried at the rear of a car.

Obviously they don't have quite so much Tech in speed/other road offence automatic camera detection as we do...

SecretWitch Wed 30-Jul-14 23:02:19

I live in Massachusetts. We are required to have both a front and back plate.

Mrsfrumble Wed 30-Jul-14 23:05:02

When we bought our car here in the US it didn't come with license plates. We had to go and register with the local tag agency and pay road tax to get a proper one. Car doesn't have a front plate as our state doesn't require them.

SconeRhymesWithGone Thu 31-Jul-14 00:29:35

I'll try to answer the school question. In the US, high school students graduate at the end of their Senior Year. There is a big ceremony with diplomas, academic gowns, etc. So all exams and exam results have to be done before graduation, which is usually in May or June of the Senior Year.

College/university acceptance letters will have already gone out, sometimes as early as the autumn of Senior Year, based on academic records up to that point. After deciding on a college, some students become affected by "Senioritis," which is usually defined as losing interest in the academic side of school. But many, if not most, colleges and universities will condition their acceptance on the student finishing the Senior Year satisfactorily, which limits Senioritis to some extent.

Another big difference is that the exams are set by the school, in fact, in most cases, by individual teachers, rather than state-wide standardized tests, although this varies by state.

CheerfulYank Thu 31-Jul-14 01:32:24

What Scone said! smile Keep em coming!

Bogeyface Thu 31-Jul-14 02:21:16

So a school can say that they have 90% (say) Ivy League attendees from their graduates because the teacher sets a piss easy exam?

Bogeyface Thu 31-Jul-14 02:22:30

Are SATS standardised though? And do they affect whether someone gets into a good uni or not?

lettertoherms Thu 31-Jul-14 02:26:49

I love "ask the American mumsnetter threads".

sits back ready with a wealth of pointless information

And I can't imagine being looked at suspiciously for backing into a space. Some people do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now