Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Advice about hamsters

(64 Posts)
EatShitDerek Wed 30-Jul-14 21:41:36

I am the owner of a hamster named Minion. At first minion seemed laid back and quite friendly.

Well 4 days later he is an anti social, screeching and jumping ball of fur. I go to put food in his bowl and the little shite jumps on to his back legs and screams.

It is indeed a bit strange to witness as he is such a cute looking thing then changes into some sort of devil.

How can I get him to be friendly? Also I want to make a play area for him if he ever becomes a social creature, how does one go about that?

He is currently on his wheel but stops to stare of I walk by. I'm sure he is sizing me up

KingJoffreysBloodshotEye Wed 30-Jul-14 21:45:07

Has he turned purple?

shock

LynetteScavo Wed 30-Jul-14 21:46:59

Aww...Poor Minion.

Have your children been playing with him....is the sight of a human hand now associated with terror?

EatShitDerek Wed 30-Jul-14 21:49:38

King not yet but it might soon grin

No one has touched him. Just me when I feed him as he used to let me stroke him twice. Son isn't allowed to touch him til I think he is ready.

Just a moody shite

KingJoffreysBloodshotEye Wed 30-Jul-14 21:55:15

I adopted a moody bunny.

She was a tad neglected and wasn't used to my overbearing love.

Took time. Gentle stroking. Treats. Not minding being bitten.
She's now the softest most lovable bunny ever. Took about 6 months though..!

BethDaze Wed 30-Jul-14 21:57:33

Presuming this is a Syrian hamster.

Sneak the food and change the water while he's asleep. Hamsters can take a while to settle in, best to leave them as alone as possible for the first week or so.

Then you get to training the little bugger. There are many recommended methods. We ended up training ours by putting him, his house and his food and water bowls in a crate, wait for him to come out, then lie our hands flat on the crate floor, sometimes with a treat in the middle.

The problem with the treat thing was that our hands smelt like food and he's not bright, so he tried to eat us a few times. Hamster teeth are scary. Remember chew toys, they help keep nails filed too.

It took about a month of doing that and lifting him about on a piece of wood until he willingly sat on my hands without panicking and trying to fling himself to the floor, but eventually it happened. And eventually it became safe to actually stand up while holding him.

The hamster won't stop freezing and watching you every time you pass, especially if you turn a light on or something.

Uh ... sorry about the long reply. You've probably already got a few now.

EatShitDerek Wed 30-Jul-14 21:59:52

He has some wooden fruit flavoured chew things. I give him food and water the same time every morning and before I go to be she gets hamster chocolate button thing.

I'm hoping I can train him into the routine so he doesn't get scared as he should hopefully realise I'm not a monster.

KingJoffreysBloodshotEye Wed 30-Jul-14 22:01:51

If Minion is a Russian hamster then you're fucked.

I had three, one ate the other two in quite a spectacular fashion.

He'd jump at you and growl baring his pointy hamster fangs. Scary.

confused

Syrian hamsters are lovely. You'll be fine.

smile

EatShitDerek Wed 30-Jul-14 22:02:43

He's a Syrian. Very cute, white and orangey/yellow coloured with black beady eyes

Scarletohello Wed 30-Jul-14 22:05:59

Any pics?

No advice but love pics of people's pets..smile

EatShitDerek Wed 30-Jul-14 22:07:00

That's when we first got him. He come out the box and let me scoop him up.

Now he's evil

vestandknickers Wed 30-Jul-14 22:08:32

Our Syrian loves cucumber and nibbles it from our hands. Very sweet. Could try that?

Has he got plenty of toys. Apparently they get bored easily. That could be making him tense.

KingJoffreysBloodshotEye Wed 30-Jul-14 22:09:43

I also had a fish who was evil.

We called him 'Evil Fish'. He ate about 10 of his mates.

Lived out the rest of his days in a massive tank. Alone.
hmm

EatShitDerek Wed 30-Jul-14 22:13:12

vest he has his wheel, this ball thing with a bell in, 2 tubes, a square play thing and his chew toys.

I do want to make him a play area usimg a plastic bin but I will have to wait til he trusts me.

I need to bribe him like a child grin

goodasitgets Wed 30-Jul-14 22:16:29

One of mine screamed for about 2 weeks every time I went near him hmm
Eventually he got interested and starting clambering on my hands to eat food
Just go very very slowly. If you handle him rub your hands in his bedding first so you smell of him. Or stuff some loo roll in your bra and then give it to him for bedding. Use gloves if you are worried about biting (like thick gardening gloves)
They're very very jumpy when newly handled so keep hands low and over the cage so they don't launch and fall
Oh and it can help just sitting with your hand in the cage so they get curious

vestandknickers Wed 30-Jul-14 22:17:18

He's got loads of toys. Ours mainly just has toilet rolls. Sometimes we give him a carrot batton and then watch him try and negotiate it through the tube. grin

FatewiththeLeadPiping Wed 30-Jul-14 22:18:31

What research did you do before getting him?

BethDaze Wed 30-Jul-14 22:18:44

Oh wow. Minion looks exactly like our Syrian.

Maybe try some fresh food. Ours loves broccoli. Hates everything else fresh we give him.

Hamsters can be weird. Ours got so stressed out the first few weeks he got wet tail. He settled down eventually, thank god, as I was not pleased with having to clear his house out every few hours and neither was he.

Just go with whatever seems to work.

HypodeemicNerdle Wed 30-Jul-14 22:19:11

We were advised to rub some of the bedding on our hands before handling a hamster so you smell like their familiar surroundings.

I've not heard of one screaming before though, sounds scary!

EatShitDerek Wed 30-Jul-14 22:25:01

fate I did a lot. We didn't buy him on impulse. We got the cage a week before we got him and all his toys etc.

I googled and watched YouTube videos and got a care sheet from a pet shop.

I had a thread on here before we got him too.

Nothing mentioned the screaming thing though so thought Minion was just a weird one grin

I had one when I was younger but mum did it all til she was certain he was tame enough.

I read about the wet tail thing so haven't let son even try to handle him. He is allowed to talk to him though but that's it.

Minion seems to only like certain bits out of his food bowl. He leaves the same items.

Maryz Wed 30-Jul-14 22:29:20

I'm really sorry Derek. I'm no help, but I can't help laughing at this, and the sheer number of "evil hamster" images google is offering me.

I know I'm going to be absolutely and deservedly flamed and accused of animal cruelty, but I offer you this

Sorry blush

RustyBear Wed 30-Jul-14 22:33:35

I always used a handling tube with our hamsters - a Jaffa cake tube cut down to half its length is good, especially if you like Jaffa cakes.

I'd put the tube down in the cage and the hamster would run in, as they like dark hidey places, so you can get him out of the cage without scary handling. Then sit down somewhere safe with the tube on your lap and wait for him to start exploring your lap in his own time - maybe offer a treat. Worked very well with all our hamsters - think we've had eight altogether over the years. my favourite one ever was white with a grey top to her head, very sweet and friendly and called Norah because she was one...

EatShitDerek Wed 30-Jul-14 22:55:14

Mary that's exactly what this evil fucker does! It's nearly chocolate button time for him but I'm thinking fuck that now. grin

goodasitgets Wed 30-Jul-14 23:20:41

They love cucumber, baby spinach, apple and carrot but very very tiny quantities

EatShitDerek Wed 30-Jul-14 23:27:57

I will try that when he gives up trying to be a ninja

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now