Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

AVOIDING BLISTERS! Has anyone tried Memory Foam trainers (Sketchers)? Were they any good?

(58 Posts)
Hulababy Wed 30-Jul-14 20:55:12

I need to buy some comfortable footwear before my holiday to Florida next month.

I get really bad blisters whenever I go. I mean bad too! It is not unknown for me to come back with both feet bandaged because of the number of huge blisters.

I have tried most types of footwear tbh but need to give something a go on the hope it will help.

The main issue is my feet swell in the heat and humidity but sandals, etc arent helping due to the friction.

So it has been suggested to try trainer pumps - like Skechers - with their memory foam comfort fit insoles. And also Cool Max trainer socks (these I have ordered and they arrived today). I think i also need to buy half a size bigger to allow for the swelling.

But has anyone here tried these trainers? Are they comfortable for lengthy periods of time stood up and walking, in heat?

hiccupgirl Wed 30-Jul-14 21:04:29

I've got the Skechers memory foam trainers and they are really comfy for walking in BUT my feet get incredibly hot in them. Much, much hotter than any other shoes I've got - I probably wouldn't take them if I was going somewhere really hot for that reason. I've also got a pair of go walk ones which are not quite so comfy but are much cooler to wear.

Shampoobaloo Wed 30-Jul-14 21:07:18

I bought some of the memory phone sketchers trainers yesterday. Wore them today (been out, long day, lots and lots of walking around) and have found them very comfortable!

Shampoobaloo Wed 30-Jul-14 21:07:59

Memory foam not phone lol

BumpNGrind Wed 30-Jul-14 21:08:32

I have the go walk and I've raved about them so much that two of my colleagues have bought them. I'm 31 weeks pregnant and my feet swell if I've been on them all day. I've had no problems. They are so light, but I found I had to buy a smaller size than I usually would in other shoes.

I'm extremely blister prone, and I've had none so far with these. I shall definitely be buying another pair.

somewheresomehow Wed 30-Jul-14 21:08:36

My mil has a pair wore them every day while we were in Devon, loved them so comfy, no rubbing nor blisters

Hulababy Wed 30-Jul-14 21:09:49

The trainer socks are supposed to help with the heat (I hope). If I get a slightly bigger size - I/m a 3/3.5 so was planning on getting a 4 - it should allow for swelling.

The comfort has to be the main thing, I think.

But I will consider other options - I have tried many things to no avail, so any suggestions always welcome!

turkeyboots Wed 30-Jul-14 21:10:46

Love mine. Bought them after lovely looking sandals cut my feet to shreds. They are not lovely looking and do get a bit hot, but otherwise are great.

Hulababy Wed 30-Jul-14 21:11:51

So - need to look at the Go Walk range too then?

Any particular style?

Guess if I am going for trainers and trainer socks I had better take shorts with me; no pretty summer dresses this time!

Hulababy Wed 30-Jul-14 21:14:02

This is the level of blisters I deal with; found this on a MN search from 2005!

"My worst was after a day trip in Manchester. Got huge blister on my heel which I popped as it was so painful and large. Bad move. The next 3 days were so painful. And then it got worse. I couldn''t understand why my heel hurt so much - and I mean hurt. I couldn't stand for longer than 2 or 3 minutes, and when I had to drive home on the motorway I cried the whole time, the pain was so bad and making me physically sick. When I got home DH drove me directly to A&E - my whole leg, to way above my knee was infected from the blister!!! I ended up with my leg strapped up, on strong antibiotics (including one jabbed directly into the area - ouch!_ and 2 weeks off work, with my leg stuck int he air. "

Fruityb Wed 30-Jul-14 21:14:20

I have the go walk ones and they are the most comfortable shoes in the world. I don't think they're the sexiest shoe in the world but they do look good with most things. I wear wear the shoe liners with mine as trainer socks show.

They're absolutely amazing and I will get more when these wear out. Probably wouldn't work well in a rain storm but then lots of shoes don't!

Hulababy Wed 30-Jul-14 21:18:17

and this from 2009:

"In Florida last week it was dreadful. I had blisters in double figures on both of my feet - on the sole, under each toe where they join my foot, between my toes, on the bottom of my little toes, on the sides of my big toes, on top of my feet, on the bottom of my heels, etc. I ended up with my feet in bandages as they were so bad. Each step was pretty painful, and by the end of the day my feet were burning hot."

ShatnersBassoon Wed 30-Jul-14 21:18:44

Go Walks are unbelievably comfortable. Very light and bouncy, with plenty of give.

Bunbaker Wed 30-Jul-14 21:19:52

Another vote for Sketchers Go Walk. Wearing them is like walking on cushions. If you are going to Florida you will find trainers too hot.

I have the black Mary Jane style and they are honestly the most comfortable shoe I have ever worn, and they wash well in the washing machine. They are very lightweight, but well made. They size up large though - I ended up buying a 5 when I normally take a 6.

MonterayJack Wed 30-Jul-14 21:20:05

Yup mega comfy and spongy but sweaty and hot. I don't have sweaty feet generally but my go walks stink. I'm not sure I could bear them in Florida

BlinkAndMiss Wed 30-Jul-14 21:21:05

I love my Go Walk shoes, they are pretty ugly looking but I don't care - comfort over aesthetics every time smile. They don't look bad with skirts really, there are a few different colours and I have the black ones. If you can wear trainer socks then you'd get away with a skirt.

Fruityb spray them with protector spray - I got some cheapy spray from Brantano and it's amazing, shoes definitely withstand rainstorm. In fact, I've sprayed everything I own with it, well pretty much.

DachshundGirl Wed 30-Jul-14 21:21:56

I have a pair of go walks that I wear to work. They are so comfortable, and I'm on my feet all day. I definitely recommend them

Hulababy Wed 30-Jul-14 21:21:56

So are the Go Walk ones not trainers?

I have worn trainers before - old ones though. They were the least blister forming of the others but still several formed.

Hulababy Wed 30-Jul-14 21:22:56

I also have an anti perspirant foot spray and also a bllister stick, and intend buying the Lancanone anti chaffe stick on arrival in the US - mainly out of stock here.

Hulababy Wed 30-Jul-14 21:24:13

Off to Meadowhall tomorrow where there is a Sketchers shop so hopefully will have plenty of choice.

WalterandWinifred Wed 30-Jul-14 21:29:12

Have you tried TwinSkin socks? They've helped my blister prone feet. The two layers rub together instead of your feet.

Hulababy Wed 30-Jul-14 21:30:05

Not tried them; I will look though only have a week to go now.
I have just bought some CoolMax anti blister sports trainer socks so hopefully they will help.

Bunbaker Wed 30-Jul-14 21:30:36

They used to stock Sketchers at Barratts before they closed down. Sports Direct also stock Sketchers and their prices are much cheaper, although they don't stock a wide range.

If you have no luck in Meadowhall you could nip over to Boundary Mills in Catcliffe as there is a Pavers concession at the back of the store. They might have some Sketchers there as well.

Failing that try the Rieker shop opposite TK Maxx as their shoes are very comfy, or even TK Maxx itself.

Good luck

PandasRock Wed 30-Jul-14 21:31:23

The most comfortable shoes I've ever ha were Softinos. So light and cool.

I hasn't tried memory foam ones, but could easily imagine them being very hit and sweaty - memory foam mattresses are bliss for comfort, but are very hot.

How soon do your feet swell in the heat? Any way if eg going shopping on the second morning there for new shoes which fit well, instead of guessing to allow for size? Quickest way to blisters is ill-fitting shoes.

Purplecircle Wed 30-Jul-14 21:31:33

I love my Skechers memory foam trainers. I wore them for a week walking around San Francisco and a week walking round New York.

I'm a big fan of fit flops, I live in them in summer as I hate hot feet. I don't get back or leg ache with them either. You don't have to have toe post ones either. Or try toe post protectors from M&S.
Original factory shop is currently selling genuine fit flops for £26

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now