Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Overweight doctors and nurses told to stop eating burgers and chips

(18 Posts)
MorphineDreams Wed 30-Jul-14 19:30:37

Apologies for the DM link

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2710338/MASSIVE-MEDICS-SHOULD-SLIM-SAYS-NHS.html

What do you think of this? Interested in people's opinions, I'm torn. Whilst I think they should set an example because obesity is a massive problem in our society - where is the line drawn in which a person's life is their own and not governed by their jobs?

lljkk Wed 30-Jul-14 19:38:34

didn't we do this thread last week?

MorphineDreams Wed 30-Jul-14 19:39:40

Are you telling me that we did or asking me the question?

If you're telling me that we did I'll request a deletion

happypotamus Wed 30-Jul-14 19:47:10

As a nurse who is not overweight, this article made me laugh.
Nurses "are to be banned from buying junk food from hospital canteens." Of course nobody can ban me from buying food I want, but also very few of my colleagues eat from the canteen, because the food isn't very nice, is expensive and we don't have time to go there. On a good day we have 45 mins break in a 13 hr shift (most days are not good days). Most people eat microwave meals, which are not exactly healthy either. Is the government going to ban those too? I have often seen people on here and other sites complaining about being told to lose weight by an overweight nurse/ dr and obviously something does need to be done about levels of obesity, but this is not the solution.

meringue33 Wed 30-Jul-14 19:49:59

Should government restrict people's choice of what they eat or look like? Absolutely not.

Should government restrict business from developing, marketing and selling food that is essentially toxic to human beings? Yes.

Just my two pennorth

lljkk Wed 30-Jul-14 19:50:39

oh sorry, if you really don't know fair enough.
Someone moaned recently that she didn't want to take diet advice from an overweight nurse. The thread went on for days & days.

I didn't think NHS trusts had much junk food available (I know it's not at my local hospital when I'd like to buy some). We're not allowed alcohol in my work building because it's NHS.

MorphineDreams Wed 30-Jul-14 19:52:59

I didn't lljkk sorry I missed that one, sounds like a good job ha

I don't even think my local hospital has a canteen let alone one that sells burgers and chips. And I wouldn't have thought nurses had much time to sit and eat often

rainbowfeet Wed 30-Jul-14 20:00:16

I did once have an elderly GP who told me at my 6 week post natal check I needed to hurry up & lose my baby weight.... He sat there probably a good 4 or 5 stone overweight with 20 B&H hanging out of his shirt pocket!!!... Did make me go shock!!

But no.. I don't think it's anyone's business what anybody weighs.. Whatever profession they're in!!

Namechangearoonie123 Wed 30-Jul-14 20:03:35

It is not burgers or chips that make people fat

Neither of then are particularly unhealthy foods if you know what fucking science is

My piss is now boiled at the stupidity of that article

Tallulaxx Wed 30-Jul-14 20:08:28

As a nurse myself and a little overweight myself I do understand where they are coming from but at the same time doing 12 hour shifts and having to eat quickly between I.Vs, meds and procedures it does usually end up with reaching for an easy sandwich or a chocolate bar but I do eat fruit as well.

FabULouse Wed 30-Jul-14 20:10:52

Nurses should be fed at work just like members of the armed forces are.

RevoltingPeasant Wed 30-Jul-14 20:12:36

Ridiculous!

I'm a university lecturer in English. Am I not allowed to read Harry Potter and 50 Shades in my spare time? Ffs.

Although my hospital has for its main eatery a massive Warren's - the Greggs of the SW - which is slightly counterintuitive. Went in for my 12w scan this week and was assaulted by the smell of pasties as soon as I walked through the sliding doors. Eurgh.

InanimateCarbonRod Wed 30-Jul-14 20:12:51

Funny that ... It's exactly what doctors told me when I went to them about my weight gain. I wasn't eating fast or junk food. I had rampant hypothyroidism but they wouldn't believe what I was saying.

FabULouse Wed 30-Jul-14 20:13:34

And stopping the insane shift pattern of 13.30-21.30 - do everything including cook/eat something nutritious - start work again at 07.30

Where does a decent supper and breakfast happen?

weegiemum Wed 30-Jul-14 20:18:13

Mm yes, so my 1.5 stone overweight dh isn't capable of providing terminal care for your relative, or giving your dc vaccinations, of treating your asthma because sometimes he grabs a McDonalds on his way home at 10pm after a 14 hour day as a GP.

Thanks, DM. Bet all your journalists are of a healthy bmi!

PetulaGordino Wed 30-Jul-14 20:21:12

They need to make healthier food more cheaply and readily available onsite then, and allow staff enough time to eat it without having to wolf down something in 30 seconds

Food provision in hospitals is dire in most cases

Happy36 Wed 30-Jul-14 20:24:29

Nanny state madness. As humans they should be encouraged a healthy diet but their job is immaterial.

In my limited experience one of the few places overworked hospital staff can get a hot, reasonably priced meal 24 hours a day is McDonalds which are often situated beside busy hospitals. The government could try to provide a healthier alternative!

MorphineDreams Wed 30-Jul-14 20:28:24

They need to sort out the crap they're feeding to patients before they complain about what the staff is eating

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now