Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

No housework til September

(30 Posts)
olivespickledonions Wed 30-Jul-14 17:12:01

Seriously. I'm thinking of downing tools til they go back to school. If I clean it'll just be trashed in half an hour. And nobody, nobody but me will notice or care if any has been done.

I might do the odd flick round the toilets, but otherwise, no, I don't think I'm going to bother!

Who's in?

EatShitDerek Wed 30-Jul-14 17:15:23

Me! I've been on strike a while now grin

No I cave anyway. Only me and a 4 year old and he likes to tidy do I've got it pretty good

lucysmam Wed 30-Jul-14 17:18:36

I already started!

I last mopped on the Friday they broke up from school, bedrooms were hoovered on Monday & will be done again next Monday.

Windows have hand and head prints on them from where the girls have looked out for their mates so I'm not doing those.

Our bedroom's ok because I gutted it last week & the kitchen's not bad because I feel out of control with a messy kitchen but otherwise everything's pretty much being ignored & will be thoroughly gutted and cleaned the week they go back.

I'm in. Can we do before and after photos like a slattern's version of Beautiful Homes?

FunkyBoldRibena Wed 30-Jul-14 17:30:20

Nice one. And of course if any of them say 'I'm bored' you have a list as long as your arm of [age appropriate] housework they can do.

olivespickledonions Wed 30-Jul-14 17:56:18

Lazybones, great idea. Slutty Homes. I can go on the cover.

LizzieMint Wed 30-Jul-14 18:06:50

Well. Our house has just gone on the market. I have three children, oldest is 8.
Kill me, kill me now. <sobs>

hamptoncourt Wed 30-Jul-14 18:10:40

How old are the DC? Mine are teenagers now so are very swayed by threats of me taking away the internet if I come home to a big mess.

I have been known to drive off to work for the day with the router in my car.

lucysmam Wed 30-Jul-14 18:12:04

grin hampton mine are seven and four, the only threat that works with the oldest is never getting her ears pierced ever...

Sparklingbrook Wed 30-Jul-14 18:24:32

Why do children insist on opening windows by pushing the glass with their hand? angry

olivespickledonions Wed 30-Jul-14 18:33:13

Glass definitely attracts their sticky little mitts like magnets. I've decided to declare my conservatory doors an art installation.

PickleMyster Wed 30-Jul-14 18:38:55

My living room is destroyed and my dining room is getting that way. I'm pregnant and still feeling tired and a bit nauseous, so I just can't be arsed. We have builders in next week so that's going to create mess - DP & I have agreed to get a company in to do a full deep clean afterwards.

IorekByrnisonsArmour Wed 30-Jul-14 18:42:12

grin @ Olives art

3 kids
2 dogs
1 DP
6 weeks
+ 1 sick bug

<shoot me now>

Ilovenicesoap Wed 30-Jul-14 18:44:08

Oh god nooooo!
I just couldn't bear the inevitable massive clear up in Sept.
Set up a rota for the holidays ,its the only way.

littleSpud Wed 30-Jul-14 18:45:08

Me

I've all but given up confused

lucysmam Wed 30-Jul-14 18:48:46

Ilove, I don't mind the massive clear up tbh so long as I don't have helpers! One room a day for a week when they go back is my plan - inc. wardrobe clearing and toy clearing too.

It's the pointless round of mop/polish/hoover/wipe/dust etc (not necessarily in that order) that does my nut in. Especially when the gate is open & kids from up and down the estate pop in and play with mine.

Ilovenicesoap Wed 30-Jul-14 19:45:45

It makes me want to weep !
Where on earth do you start and its so grubby and depressing.
Nope not giving in - rota and threatening teenagers with no food,wifi,food,money does it for me! grin
Blech other peoples kids - No!

SilverDreamMachine Wed 30-Jul-14 20:37:57

I'm in grin

Lost count how many times I've put the same feckin puzzle away, and put the cushions back on the sofa, and cleared the endless cups, plates, wrappers etc.

Not to mention spending an hour hoovering the garden... DD Burst the outdoor beanbag, looked like the North Pole out there.

I will do toilets, the tide mark in the bath and the kitchen sink.....but there, my friends, it ends until September 4th.

Maryz Wed 30-Jul-14 20:43:29

Do we have to do some in September though?

Can't we just stop and stay stopped?

olivespickledonions Wed 30-Jul-14 20:45:28

Solidarity, sister. Up the revolution. grin

olivespickledonions Wed 30-Jul-14 20:47:42

Maryz, hell yeah. Let's just keep going til Christmas, and have a big ole clear up before the MIL comes.

Maryz Wed 30-Jul-14 20:49:01

I'm considering putting one of these in the middle of my sitting room floor and investing in paper plates/cups/cutlery.

I have teenagers [bitter]

lucysmam Wed 30-Jul-14 20:49:13

Staying stopped would be wonderful, Maryz, but I fear I would drown in a sea of loom bands and teddy bears grin

theendoftheendoftheend Wed 30-Jul-14 21:05:36

I just went upstairs to sort their room whilst they're on a sleepover on DM's, took one look came straight back downstairs and poured myself a nice glass of wine. I have officially given up on the upstairs. The downstairs is remaining my territory... for now.

I gave up in June when DS left school grin
I give things a quick flick once a week but when he's in the lounge he lies on the floor on his beanbag (6ft 2) he seems to take up the whole floorhmm
And when his mates come round Iv absolutely no hope!
The garden is quite tidy tho as he doesn't do much out there.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now