Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

when did you stop sterilising ?

(26 Posts)

Just curious to know when others stopped sterilising bottles and stuff completely?

Dd is 2.5 and every now and then I'll throw her bottles and drinking cups a bowl of water with a sterilising tablet.

I know itsnot necessary, but I'll bleach the cups and stuff we drink out of occasionally too.

12 months with ds1 then 8 months with the next two iirc the stuff went in dishwasher and that sufficed.

Fairypants Wed 30-Jul-14 16:46:27

I carried on sterilising bottles until they didn't use them because its milk. Other things (like bowls and spoons) I stopped sterilising once I realised she was crawling on the floor!

eltsihT Wed 30-Jul-14 16:47:47

When each of the boys were 1yo same time I stopped using formula

sleepyhead Wed 30-Jul-14 16:48:17

About 8 weeks with ds1, about 8 days with ds2.

Both were mainly bf though. Advice was that hot soapy water and air drying was sufficient for bottles/teats used for expressed milk, and by the time we were using formula they were putting anything and everything into their mouths anyway so there didn't seem any point.

KitCat26 Wed 30-Jul-14 16:52:14

DD1 12 weeks, all her bottles were thoroughly scrubbed in very hot water and made up fresh.

DD2 6 months, we were going camping when she was 6 months and it gave me peace of mind, hot water for washing was in short supply. Also she was more sickly.

I only ever did the milky things, not food plates or dummies.

12 months... Didn't understand it as the year before the HVs recommended 6 months but being a FTM I thought I had to do everything by the book... Id say 6 months is safe and 12 months is just to give anxious mothers peace of mind

Doubtfuldaphne Wed 30-Jul-14 16:56:43

I waited until my dc's were a year old.

PenelopeGarciasCrazyHair Wed 30-Jul-14 16:57:13

Never sterilised. Bf until 8 months, then onto sippy cups which went in dishwasher or hand washed in hot soapy water.

rootypig Wed 30-Jul-14 16:58:53

Never sterilised anything, DD had bottles from 3mo. A very thorough wash with hot soapy water and we never had any problems.

I have some sterilising tabs for putting down the loo for stains, and sometimes do the chopping board in it - I've heard that chopping boards are a microbe love in! bleurgh.

The average kitchen chopping board has around 200% more faecal bacteria on it than the average toilet seat.

rootypig Wed 30-Jul-14 17:00:05

Chopping board in sterilising solution, not in the loo. Obviously grin

Haha rooty I have an image of some unsuspecting visitor using your loo, only to find the chopping board floating in it!

Chopping board gets soaked in bleach once or twice a week, and cups get done about once a monthish, mor in winter when the cups are used more and get a bit tea stained.

Ive never done cutlery or plates, just bottles and drinking cups.

plentyofshoes Wed 30-Jul-14 18:21:53

I was thinking about this earlier. Dd is 9 months, but was going to stop at 12 months. However, over the last couple of days she has put all sorts of crap in her mouth. Sand mainly. Is there much point?

Mogz Wed 30-Jul-14 18:53:17

You should sterilise for as long as you're using formula. That stuff has the (albeit tiny) potential to grow some very nasty bugs.

Galena Wed 30-Jul-14 18:55:05

When I realised she'd rolled over and was sucking on a shoe!

riskit4abiskit Wed 30-Jul-14 18:56:22

About 6 mths. Bf

KnackeredMuchly Wed 30-Jul-14 18:56:28

6 months - that's when I started to give tap water.

stargirl1701 Wed 30-Jul-14 18:57:05

Only ever sterilised bottles that had powdered milk formula in them. The dangerous bacteria are in the powdered formula.

ShineSmile Wed 30-Jul-14 19:00:19

Around 6 months

Spotsondots Wed 30-Jul-14 19:06:14

Breastfed exclusively until 6 months so I have never sterilised anything! Once they are that age they are eating all sorts of crap off the floor so sterilising seems totally pointless to me. I have never understood why you would sterilise bowls and plates when your DC has just eaten a days old rice cake coated with carpet fluff from under the sofa and a handful of soil for good measure grin. DS is still alive and has never touchwood been ill. He's 11 months now.

JimmyCorkhill Wed 30-Jul-14 19:06:55

For aaaaaaaaaaaaaages with DD1. Past the age of 2. Only stopped when a visiting friend was incredulous that I was still doing it.

Never with DD2. BF then baby led weaning. She ate a lot from the floor too if I didn't clear up quickly enough blush

Blamenargles Wed 30-Jul-14 19:12:16

you should sterilise bottles as long as you are using formula,

crazykat Wed 30-Jul-14 19:17:21

About 5/6 months. Bottles/bowls etc were washed in hot soapy water and rinsed in hot water. As soon as they were sitting up and starting to shove everything in their mouths I stopped sterilising as it was a bit pointless.

mermaidstale Wed 30-Jul-14 19:17:58

I never sterilised anything. Bf and by 6 months they were crawling and discovering for themselves that household dirt is good for the immune system.

Muskey Wed 30-Jul-14 19:24:39

When dd started crawling and she started putting everything and anything in her mouth

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now