Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

I've forgotten how to eat normally

(58 Posts)
Wellwellwell3holesintheground Wed 30-Jul-14 16:40:49

30 years of dieting and disordered eating means I have totally lost track of what is normal.

Is there any hope of resetting myself?

Fairywhitebear Wed 30-Jul-14 16:42:48

Get a meal planner. That's what I'm doing at the minute. Made me realise I had totally lost track of what I should be doing.

Mine is a Weight Watchers one. PM me your email, I'll happily send it to you smile

Spurtle Wed 30-Jul-14 16:45:30

How about doing myFitnesspal for a while? If you input your weight, sex, age and whether you want to gain, lose or maintain your weight, it will give you a daily calorie goal. It might be a good way to understand what an appropriate food intake might be.

I hope so because that's what I've started this week after 25 years of the same. It occurred to me the other day I have spent my whole adult life either losing weight or putting it back on. Very sad.
I am starting by moving to 3 straight meals a day. No snacks whatsoever. I'm eating fruit as 'pudding' after my meals to make sure I'm having enough fruit. I lost 3lbs last week, wasn't hungry and am hoping it's a sensible eating pattern.

Ps I'm using my fitness pal too to keep track.

sweetheart Wed 30-Jul-14 16:49:16

If you are not specifically trying to loose weight I think anything diet related will not teach you how to eat normally. Try the technique of eating what you want but only when you are hungry and stop eating once you have had enough.

Arielthelittlemermaid Wed 30-Jul-14 16:55:14

I highly recommend Susie Orbach - On Eating. Or Fat is Feminist Issue for the full version with theory.

Also Google Intuitive Eating which is same principles.

Wellwellwell3holesintheground Wed 30-Jul-14 16:56:25

I think I really need to stay away from a ything diet related. I did have great success with Paul Mckenna's method about 7 years ago but then started restricting myself by stopping eating wheat and dairy. It's like I can't leave myself alone.

GobblersKnob Wed 30-Jul-14 16:56:32

You can use MFP in various ways though, to lose, gain or stay at current weight. It gives you a good breakdown of what your body needs in terms of protein, fats, vits etc. I am eating disordered and find it very useful.

Arielthelittlemermaid Wed 30-Jul-14 16:56:53

PS I have just started eating according to the above and have been amazed by how little food I actually need, compared to what I was eating before. It is also good for overall wellbeing, not just weight.

Arielthelittlemermaid Wed 30-Jul-14 16:57:47

It isn't a diet. It's actually anti diet! OK, I'll be quiet now smile

DramaAlpaca Wed 30-Jul-14 16:58:35

Another vote for MFP. It's a bit of a palaver to set up, but once you've done it and have a record of what you eat most often, it's very useful.

Purplecircle Wed 30-Jul-14 16:58:40

Do you have a friend or family member with normal weight who eats normally? Ask them what they eat for each meal.
I was staggered at the difference between overweight me and much smaller sisters meals. I realised that it's usually a special occasion when we all eat together and everyone over eats. She doesn't eat like that the rest of the time!

Wellwellwell3holesintheground Wed 30-Jul-14 17:00:10

I have Fat is a Feminist issue on my kindle app and also Overcoming Binge Eating. Perhaps I should read them rather than just buying them.

The problem is that I always think 'I'll just lose weight for xyz event then I'll eat properly forever more'. But what actually happens is that I lose it then regain it then select another equally stupid way of eating then lose it again. And so the cycle continues.

Wellwellwell3holesintheground Wed 30-Jul-14 17:03:54

Sorry Ariel - that was a cross post. I think that is what I'm aiming for. I honestly think that every diet I have done has left me with a bit more of my more and fucked up. I could make a list of problems exacerbated by each one.

Wellwellwell3holesintheground Wed 30-Jul-14 17:05:16

God I'm slow at typing!

Yes, remember the shocking realisation that if I only ate when I was hungry I ate virtually nothing.

nomoretether Wed 30-Jul-14 17:05:31

Beyond Chocolate is a great way into the world of Intuitive Eating - it completely reset things for me and is literally about relearning your body's cues. Start with the book, it's a really easy read.

Orbach is great but can be a little overwhelming to begin with. Geneen Roth's Break Free from Emotional Eating is another good one.

Wellwellwell3holesintheground Wed 30-Jul-14 17:06:15

Also have thin sister. She runs a lot and does 5:2.

Wellwellwell3holesintheground Wed 30-Jul-14 17:11:08

Have bought Beyond Chocolate.

Thank you for understanding! I have honestly never been happier and more motivated and energetic than the 5 months I ate intuitively for. I think I need to allow myself time to repair rather than making myself worse. I need to stop punishing myself with food.

tweetypot Wed 30-Jul-14 17:12:55

Remembering that most of the time, snack cravings are due to dehydration. Making a drink at the very least can distract from the snack attack.

Wellwellwell3holesintheground Wed 30-Jul-14 17:21:24

I'm just about to purge the house of every diet book and crappy 'food'. Perhaps I should sell all my Cambridge stuff...

tweetypot Wed 30-Jul-14 17:31:19

I really don't agree with low-fat, sugar-free etc. just eat as natural, wholesome food as you can find. Think food from the 1940s and you can't go far wrong (without the rationing, of course!)

Arielthelittlemermaid Wed 30-Jul-14 17:47:18

I've checked out Beyond Chocolate too... looks good! Would anyone be interested in an intuitive eating support thread? Or does one exist already? I'm just starting out with it after severe diets as a teen and chronic overeating. It feels like a completely new way of life.

Wellwellwell3holesintheground Wed 30-Jul-14 17:47:18

We cook from scratch a lot. Even trying to eat like that has fucked me up more. It becomes all about good and bad foods. If I trust my body it wants the right stuff. Just don't trust it.

Wellwellwell3holesintheground Wed 30-Jul-14 17:48:27

There is a Paul McKenna thread but would love a general intuitive eating thread if there isn't one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now