Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Weekly food shop - how much do you spend?

(191 Posts)
ButterflyOfFreedom Wed 30-Jul-14 15:52:18

We've been looking at our finances recently, mainly because I am due to go on Maternity Leave soon and we're trying to work out how long I could realistically have off from work.

Food wise it seems we're spending around �100 a week to feed me, DH and a 2 year old.
Does this seem about right?

I've heard about the 'feed a family of 4 for �50 a week' though is this actually possible?

We don't waste much food at all (I hate throwing it away) and we're not overly indulgent.
Just wondered what others spent...

Memphisbelly Wed 30-Jul-14 15:56:04

We are a family of 3 and we spend on average £50-£65 a week in Sainsbury's, I am pg so this will go up when we are buying more nappies and formula.

hiddenhome Wed 30-Jul-14 15:56:08

£80-90 a week, but we have two cats who eat posh food and need cat litter.

This is for two adults and two older kids.

schilke Wed 30-Jul-14 15:56:40

Well, when you say food shop - are you including all household stuff (washing liquid etc...)? Are you including toiletries?

There are 6 of us including 2 boy teens who eat a lot! 3 of the 6 are gluten free - bread & pasta more expensive. I reckon we spend about £160 a week including toiletries, household stuff.

So £100 for 2 adults and a toddler seems quite a lot.

lucysmam Wed 30-Jul-14 15:57:35

Family of four for £50 or less here if I can, any more than that & we'd have no spare cash. It's not as bad as it seems but a lot of basics stuff gets chucked in & treats/booze have to wait until I've shopped for food first.

Some weeks I do hit a mental brick wall & get fed up with it though.

Meal planning - even loosely- helps & knowing what you have in already that you can use towards something smile

IdahoHasMyHeart Wed 30-Jul-14 15:59:22

We are 2 adults and one cat and seem to spend anywhere between £50 and £100+ a week. More often at the higher end though.

This is inclusive of everything - booze, cleaning products, dog food - approx. £150 per week. Two dogs, two teenagers.

ButterflyOfFreedom Wed 30-Jul-14 16:07:27

It will include some household things like washing up liquid, washing powder and toilet roll (though we obviously don't get these every week) but not generally toiletries like shampoo, toothpaste and shower gel etc.

We generally do a 'big' shop online about once a month then do several 'top up' shops throughout the week which I think is where we're ending up spending more. Though we do need to buy milk and bread for example every couple of days as we do get through it.

We tend to have branded stuff and have thought about switching to supermarket own - though for example, is Asda's own cereal as good as Kelloggs??? (I'm not a snob but do like my food and want it to tatse nice!)

MintCar Wed 30-Jul-14 16:19:39

2 adults - we bulk buy and freeze our meat at �35 - 50 a month then spend �30 - �45 a week on fresh food, household/cleaning stuff but usually buy our own deodorants etc. I usually buy toothpaste from poundland when I remember! We dont buy alcohol is the weekly shop as only drink on occasion.
I definitely agree meal planning helps if trying to keep costs down.

fledtoscotland Wed 30-Jul-14 16:27:02

We are approx £110 for DH, me & 2 DC, elderly FILs ready meals, all cleaning stuff, all lunches, 3 dogs and 2 cats. Can't seem to get it lower without compromising on quality

TeWiSavesTheDay Wed 30-Jul-14 16:28:43

It varies wildly - try aldi though. Cheaper than asda.

TeWiSavesTheDay Wed 30-Jul-14 16:31:06

're switching brands - it does depend on what you are talking about and what you look for in a particular product. With cereal, own brand is generally pretty much the exact same but costs less, but the actual cheapest value/smart price tastes pretty crap. Something like tinned tomatoes and there is minimal difference all the way down to the cheapest value ones.

Nonie241419 Wed 30-Jul-14 16:34:36

I spend £60-100 per week for a family of 5. That's for everything.

Memphisbelly Wed 30-Jul-14 16:50:37

Oh forgot to say ours doesn't include pet food or booze.

Doubtfuldaphne Wed 30-Jul-14 16:54:53

We are a family of 4 and spend about 150 a week!

HeyMicky Wed 30-Jul-14 16:58:04

Two adults and DD 22 months. £80 a week including a bottle of wine, cleaning products and basic toiletries, cat food and lunches for me. DD is in reusables so no nappies, and eats all meals at nursery three days a week. We do two veggie meals a week, I meal plan and batch cook. I could probably do better but not without padding with a lot of carbohydrates

fledermaus Wed 30-Jul-14 17:00:46

About £40, for 2 adults a 4 year old and a baby.

ElizabethLemon Wed 30-Jul-14 17:05:49

£60 for all food, household stuff, cat food/litter but I buy toiletries separately. That's for 2 adults and one child, shopping at waitrose.

RiverTam Wed 30-Jul-14 17:05:50

we shifted to own brands when I went freelance and my salary dropped hugely. These days DH and DD aren't keen on Kelloggs, in fact DD won't eat them at all! But equally, Dh doesn't like Asda's cornflakes either (we usually shop in Sainsbo's as it's our nearest).

Today I spent £100, but that was including a £10 DVD and a £25 electric toothbrush. But it won't be the only shop of the week.

I'm rubbish at meal planning, and we don't have a big freezer so we spend more than we should, but at the moment it's fine.

RiverTam Wed 30-Jul-14 17:06:23

oh, that's for 2 adults and 1 4-year-old.

iamdivergent Wed 30-Jul-14 17:08:02

2 adults 2 kids 2 cats - £60/£70 pw that includes all cleaning products/cat food and litter.

Preciousbane Wed 30-Jul-14 17:11:03

Three of us and DS eats more than a regular adult as a teen. We are around £75 per week. Also inc cat food and litter.

WyrdByrd Wed 30-Jul-14 17:14:42

I have been totally converted to Lidl this morning. Our local one is not that big and had always been a bit naff but it's been overhauled recently and having heard rave reviews of the bakery on here thought I'd give it a try.

Bought about a fortnight's worth of food (notwithstanding a top up of salad, fruit, bread & milk next week) including chicken, steak, pork ribs, salmon, scampi, Stilton, decent bread, some fruit & veg inc Jersey royals & avocados, sauces, ice creams and cider for £55.

I will definitely be going back!

If you don't have a Lidl or Aldi nearby I'd recommend shopping online - much easier to see all the offers and whittle away any impulse buys before checking out, and most stores do delivery slots from £1 now.

WyrdByrd Wed 30-Jul-14 17:16:46

BTW - that's for me, DH who is 6'4 and eats like a horse and DD aged nearly 10 with a healthy appetite.

Openup41 Wed 30-Jul-14 17:17:42

We spend around £80 a week - 2 adults and 2 dc. This includes toiletries and nappies. We bring lunch to work daily.

We do not smoke or drink.
We do not buy expensive meat.
We shop in Aldi and the 99p shop.

To me, this budget is low. A friend spends double this amount and eats out several times a week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now