Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Ryanair - what am I in for? :/

(46 Posts)
MarmaladeShatkins Wed 30-Jul-14 14:49:36

We booked a fairly late holiday, die to leave soon. The website we booked it on named the hotel but not the airline. We've got an email today to say it's bleeding Ryanair. You take your chances and that, I suppose.

What am I to expect? Are we going to be taped onto the wings if no seat is available? Will our baggage end up in Burkina Faso and arrive in Greece on the day after we go home? Will we be made to participate in a cage fight to decide who gets the last bag of peanuts?

Be honest with me. I am terrified!

MarmaladeShatkins Wed 30-Jul-14 14:50:00

DUE TO LEAVE SOON.

FFS.

sad

Letthemtalk Wed 30-Jul-14 14:52:17

It'll be fine. Most holiday airlines are pretty basic, so you'll probably not notice any difference.

JeanSeberg Wed 30-Jul-14 14:53:33

Never had a problem with Ryanair (or Easyjet) and never get what the fuss is about. Just make sure your bags are the right size/weight, get there in plenty of time and you'll be fine.

Have you got hold bags booked?

PaperFlowers Wed 30-Jul-14 14:55:41

I flew with ryanair 4 years ago, so not recent. But I thought it was fine. Managed to get two seats together with not too much trouble, just made sure we got to the gate nice and early. But i think you can book seats now, no? Are you tall? DH is tall and it was a bit of a nightmare for him, but only 2 hour flight.

No need to worry about food, they don't provide any! Take food on with you, the prices were ridiculous.

Luggage took an absolute age to appear at the other end, but didn't see anyone obviously having lost their luggage.

Only other airlines I have flown with are easyjet (identical) and Emirates (different world).

lovelidl Wed 30-Jul-14 14:56:09

Was really pleasantly surprised, we had a faultless trip with RyanAir to Paris earlier in the year. Liked that you could take a handbag and hand luggage. No complaints at all, and at £90 return for three of us the price was great!

best bit was the fanfare when we landed as flight was on time

tugamommy Wed 30-Jul-14 14:57:33

Nothing at all wrong with Ryanair as long as you play by their rules. Make sure you check in online 7 days before travelling to ensure you all seat together (or if this is a concern check in 2 weeks before departure and for a fee you can chose your seats, take a print out of the boarding pass or you'll need to pay some obscene amount to get one printed out at the airport, and make sure you comply with luggage size / weight and restrictions.
There will be no fight for peanuts because there are no free peanuts, just overpriced crappy food. But you can take food with you, either from home or from the airport.
Other than this, it's just a normal flight!

MarmaladeShatkins Wed 30-Jul-14 14:58:09

Oh this is reassuring!

I wouldn't have worried about flying with a budget airline had we not had an evil experience with one a few years ago!

Yes, hold baggage booked for DH and I. DS's will fit into his hand luggage. We are flying at 7am so food won't be an issue for us as we don't eat until 10am at the earliest.

We can book seats from a week before. It's a week tomorrow until we go. I'm not tall, but DH is 6ft!

grumblepuss Wed 30-Jul-14 14:58:13

It'll be fine. Never had a problem in 10 years and close to 30 flights.

Make sure your hand luggage is the right size, buy a bottle of water once you're through security. The staff are all lovely.

Findz Wed 30-Jul-14 15:02:21

Excellent time keeping record, one of the best in Europe I believe. VERY basic though, uncomfortable seats, even the safety cards are mounted on the back of seats to stop people nicking them. Half full flight on the way back from Canaries a couple of months ago - managed to get three seats to myself to laze about on (early morning flight) and was still very uncomfortable. Get in earlyish to get hand luggage in cabin - they take 90 bags and the rest go in the hold defeating the object of me squeezing everything in a smaller bag. Does the job, you'll be fine.

PaperFlowers Wed 30-Jul-14 15:03:17

Yes it will be fine. VERY strict on hand luggage so make sure DS's doesn't go over.

Staff were all very nice. Extra leg room seat might be worth the money if you can spare it and there is one to book, but my DH is 6"1' and he was ok really, just a bit cramped moany by the end.

foxdongle Wed 30-Jul-14 15:06:18

We've been with Ryanair loads they are nearly always on time.
There's always hardly any faffing about either, they get you there, turf you off and off they go again. We like that.
We also only ever take hand luggage so no hanging around at the carousel. We always take our own food on, so no waiting for that either.
As with most things you get what you pay for.

Going with them again very soon, can't wait smile

Maryz Wed 30-Jul-14 15:08:35

You will be fine.

I haven't used any other airline for at least ten years.

I have never been delayed.

I have never lost luggage (admittedly I've never taken hold luggage).

I haven't starved or had to pee in a bottle.

Make sure you buy water in the airport, take sandwiches and don't go overweight on handluggage.

How long are you going for? The only issue now is that you have to pay a fiver a person to check in online more than a week before, so if you are going longer than a week you either have to pay or find a printer when you are away.

CuttedUpPear Wed 30-Jul-14 15:08:56

Take some snacks in case your flight is delayed after you have boarded.

There have been some stories recently of people sat for hours and hours on the tarmac.
This is not the airline's fault, obvs, but how they treat you and rip you off for small snacks will be your concern.

rollonthesummer Wed 30-Jul-14 15:09:04

What do you mean by being very strict on hand luggage? Is there a weight restriction on hand luggage as well?

Ohwhatfuckeryisthis Wed 30-Jul-14 15:09:50

It's fine, dh is 6'3" and was ok. They allocate seats, so when you confirm see if they have been done then. Hand luggage and handbag. If the lockers are full, cabin bag goes in hold no charge, but make sure all your ds's stuff is in handbag. Much better than monarch-me 5 foot 2" could hardly squeeze into seat. And seemed to be really packed, I was claustrophobic (not usually a problem)

Ohwhatfuckeryisthis Wed 30-Jul-14 15:11:34

Yes there is rollon. I think it's 10.(best check)

Maryz Wed 30-Jul-14 15:12:52

Yes, 10 kg and strict measurements for hand luggage.

MarmaladeShatkins Wed 30-Jul-14 15:14:48

Thanks so much. Am feeling better now.

I'm not a prima donna, honest!

We got switched from a Thomson flight to Skywings (me neither) in Corfu in 2010. Still haven't recovered from the shock of seeing bits of plane gaffa taped together...

I've heard that Ryanair rely on a back-up squad of trained Macaques when the usual pilots are too pissed or don't turn up on time.

There are no seats, just rows of benches and there is an unseemly tussle for the troughs when the cabin crew empty in buckets of swill at feeding time.

I won't describe the lavatorial arrangements because there maybe MNers eating their lunches. Suffice to say you are advised to bring a large Tupperware container and a length of garden hose.

You'll be fine - what on Earth are you worrying about woman?

JeanSeberg Wed 30-Jul-14 15:16:37

RYANAIR REGULATIONS ON SPECIFIC SUBJECTS

CABIN BAGGAGE

One cabin bag weighing up to 10 kg with maximum dimensions of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm, plus 1 small bag up to 35 x 20 x 20 cms may be carried per passenger*.

Maryz Wed 30-Jul-14 15:18:09

I've heard they flap their wings, too.

And it's a bit cramped.

A bit like this

Yes Maryz - take off is bloody exhausting as there is always someone that can't be arsed to pedal. hmm

Clarabell33 Wed 30-Jul-14 15:26:17

Any chance you can pay extra to get the speedy boarding option? We did this last time we flew with Ryanair. I think it was about £30 for two adults each way (which was more than the flights) but it made things at the airport quite a lot less stressful - mainly because you board first and you're not in the massive queue of people pushing and shoving, plus you don't have to worry about hand luggage as much - obviously it still has to be within the size/weight parameters but as you're on first, you don't have to fight for space in the overhead lockers.

WhatHo Wed 30-Jul-14 15:36:09

Weeelll... have you got kids with you? If so you should be ok. If not, after they've loaded the families there's this incredibly intense scrimmage to get on the plane first so you can actually sit next to your travelling companion(s). People lose their humanity in front of your eyes.

Oh and they sell you scratch cards and god knows what else every 15 mins. No sleep for you.

And if you are over 5'8 your knees will be around your ears.

Other than that its fine. FINE.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now