Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

I really really want a third dc

(45 Posts)
olaflikeswarmhugs Wed 30-Jul-14 13:27:59

I know I shouldn't .

I'm just about to start a nursing degree
While we could afford the dc/mat leave etc , we couldn't afford all the other things (bigger house, bigger car etc)
I don't have room for the DCs I already have grin we would definitely need to move.

But I really really want one sad

monsterowl Wed 30-Jul-14 13:29:00

Get a pet! Seriously smile

olaflikeswarmhugs Wed 30-Jul-14 13:33:02

grin Monster

IceBeing Wed 30-Jul-14 13:33:53

I wanted 3 kids...but I am shit at pregnancy, childbirth and parenting. So I shall force myself to stick to the one.

weatherall Wed 30-Jul-14 13:37:07

I really want a third too.

I always wanted 3.

I expected to have them all by 25 hmm.

I'm now 34.

I don't think I'm that fertile.

I'm scared my time has run out.

I'm really scared of the increased risks of being over 35.

My 2 are getting older so I don't have the car/bedrooms problems 3 close in age would cause.

Everyone around me is having babies and they are all so gorgeous!

olaflikeswarmhugs Wed 30-Jul-14 13:54:45

Ice I love being pregnant ! <weirdo> grin

bearfrills Wed 30-Jul-14 13:54:58

I really wanted a third. DH and I went back and forth over it for months before we decided yes, we'd go for it.

He's now 5mo and adorable but we also have a 4yo and a 2yo so it's bloody hard work some days. We're having to move house and I'm having to give up my job and retrain to work from home as childcare for three is a logistical and financial nightmare. But we knew all this before I got pregnant and took it all into account when making the decision, we wouldn't change it at all.

Trouble is that I now want a fourth....

olaflikeswarmhugs Wed 30-Jul-14 13:55:57

Weather same ! I know loads of people either gp or ttc and while I should be thinking "I've had my turn" I'm thinking "I'm not done I want it to be meeeee" <jealous bitch emoticon>

Whatsonemore Wed 30-Jul-14 14:22:00

Do it....do it....

Sorry had to say it! I wanted no3 and went for it - now expecting dc4 so you have been warned smile

Happy36 Wed 30-Jul-14 14:25:29

Have the third one! If you want one you will find a way financially.

As a second child my elder brother and I didn't mind losing our "small family" luxuries and sharing our bedrooms because we got another brother and sister...best "presents" ever.

Sparklingbrook Wed 30-Jul-14 14:29:01

But do you want three teenagers?

melissa83 Wed 30-Jul-14 14:32:47

We are not getting a bigger car or bigger place for dc3. You dont actually need this things and can wait until they are older.

Sparklingbrook Wed 30-Jul-14 14:39:27

Three teenagers are quite costly to keep.....

RabidFairy Wed 30-Jul-14 14:39:30

I veer from desperately wanting a third to never wanting another on a regular basis. My two are 5 and 2 and I love them to pieces, although some days are harder than others, the same as with any family. They already share a room and DD in particular would love a little sister (she says, although another brother would be fine, too, I'm sure).

What puts me off is the fact that we can do nice things as a family, or with me and the kids due to their age, whereas if we had another baby I feel it would "reset" everything. I also don't know if I have it in me to go through the hard baby stuff again, even if the wonderful baby stuff is truly fantastic.

olaflikeswarmhugs Wed 30-Jul-14 14:53:42

Well I have a 9yo and 20mo so I will have one teenager then two teenagers gringrin

I really think I will . Maybe leave it another year then ttc and at least finish first year of uni . But I'd definitely need to move my 9yo dd and 20mo ds share a room now because we only have 2 .

NotNewButNameChanged Wed 30-Jul-14 15:08:08

I want to go to New England for three weeks in the autumn but I can't afford it.

There's lots of things I want. Sometimes we have to be practical and admit that it just isn't feasible or wise for all sorts of reasons.

In your situation, aside from affordability and house practicalities, I'm not sure how you'd manage the second year of your nursing degree.

Sparklingbrook Wed 30-Jul-14 15:13:12

Good luck with whatever you choose, people always make it work don't they?

All I know is that personally having one teen and about to have two that is more than enough for me. grin

JellySnakesLadderedTights Wed 30-Jul-14 15:27:47

People don't always make it work though. I think it's better to parent 2 children really well, than 3 children badly...

I'm talking about meeting 2 or 3 children's emotional needs, even into adulthood, I don't mean missing the little luxuries now.

Being the adult child of parents who had too many children is no fun :-(

melissa83 Wed 30-Jul-14 15:29:49

Teens are expensive on here but in rl dont seem to be. Im surrounded by big families though and 3/4 is quite common

melissa83 Wed 30-Jul-14 15:30:45

3 is hardly too many children confused

Sparklingbrook Wed 30-Jul-14 15:33:17

Depends what your teens are into I think melissa. In my RL it is rather football heavy. Subs, match fees, kits, boots, petrol to matches etc
School uniforms and trips aren't cheap either. Clothes and shoes in general are grown out of in a matter of months.

I don't know anyone who would say teens aren't expensive to run. grin They are very time consuming too.

Bunbaker Wed 30-Jul-14 15:35:04

It is to some melissa83

JellySnakesLadderedTights Wed 30-Jul-14 15:43:41

"Too many children" is not a particular number of children though.

Fwiw I'm from a much larger family.

But if 3 children would stretch you to the point where you're not able to meet those children's emotional needs, then 3 is "too many children" for you personally.

I am not picking on people with 3 kids!

LeBearPolar Wed 30-Jul-14 15:45:29

What JellySnakes said. I recently worked out that, all things considered, I am probably the child my parents like the least out of the six of us.

My mum liked babies. As we grew up, however...

I really want a third but as the chances of us ever affording a three bedroom house are virtually nil I think I need to accept it'll never happen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now