Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Fed up of using pads for AF

(95 Posts)
Theselittlelightsofmine Wed 30-Jul-14 13:06:13

What can I use instead?

CarpeJugulum Wed 30-Jul-14 13:06:50

Moon cup! They're awesome.

RoseberryTopping Wed 30-Jul-14 13:16:39

A jam sponge

You even get a free badge!

Catswiththumbs Wed 30-Jul-14 13:28:54

Boak at jam sponge. That really is a gopping name.

And I use a mooncup(!)

JADS Wed 30-Jul-14 13:30:45

Moon cup or a meluna

MrsZiegler Wed 30-Jul-14 14:00:23

mooncup. Jam sponge (!) if you want to have sex though.

Theselittlelightsofmine Wed 30-Jul-14 17:38:09

What other brands of 'mooncups' are there and where do I get them from plz

JimBobplusasprog Wed 30-Jul-14 17:40:03

Google menstrual cup. Boots sells them as do zillions of Internet outlets.

NoTeaForMe Wed 30-Jul-14 17:48:49

Tampons?!

ElephantsAndMiasmas Wed 30-Jul-14 18:13:55

Mooncup, or there are other kinds - some have a loop instead of a stem to pull it out with. I LOVE mine and hope I never have to go back to pads or tampons. The best bit is not having to carry the little plastic feckers around in your bag, and not having anything nasty (pad, string) in your knickers.

YankNCock Wed 30-Jul-14 18:18:11

Mooncup. Read about them on here, haven't looked back.

Mooncup definitely. We've managed some, er, interaction with a moon cup in situ grin

lettertoherms Wed 30-Jul-14 18:29:53

The FAQ for the Jam Sponge is a bit alarming!

"How does a Jam Sponge work?"
"You simply squash it into your vagina and it soaks up the blood."

ElephantsAndMiasmas Wed 30-Jul-14 18:31:47

I draw the line at the jam sponge. I think mostly because of the name!

Mooncups have saved me a fortune as well. I've bought two in the last 4 years, that's about £36. Probably would have spent <does maths> at least double that on tampons.

GothMummy Wed 30-Jul-14 18:35:14

I LOVE my mooncup but as I have heavy periods I am buying a Meluna XL from the feminine care website as it has a larger capacity.

RobinHumphries Wed 30-Jul-14 18:37:24

Another vote for Mooncup.
I have also tried ladycup but found it very hard to remove compared to the mooncup - it was too slippy

ContentedSidewinder Wed 30-Jul-14 18:47:09

I use a Meluna cup, there are a load of videos on YouTube where they compare them. I measured a clean unused tampon to give me an idea of size etc

Unlike tampons a cup won't dry you out as they catch the blood in the cup but the sides obviously don't absorb anything.

Be aware that with Meluna they do different materials so you can have a more firm cup. TMI but I couldn't get mine to pop open at first. I had to try different folding techniques and I had bought a squishy cup. I have had two c sections so my muscles are still in good nick (I can happily bounce on a trampoline without wetting myself) grin

Best thing I ever did was buy a cup

Emmylou717 Wed 30-Jul-14 18:51:55

Mooncup!

Though please be aware that you shouldn't use a cup if you have a coil fitted as it is possible for suction that will move the coil out of position.

TheFillyjonk Wed 30-Jul-14 18:52:21

Nothing to add here except back up all the Mooncup suggestions. I cannot believe how much money I spent on pads and tampons before I got one. I've not had one bit of trouble with my Mooncup - the best thing is being able to go anywhere when you have your period and never worrying about not having supplies.

The Meluna also sounds good. Cups really are the best thing you can do for your period, IMO.

FidgetPie Wed 30-Jul-14 19:25:32

Another Mooncup advocate here. A friend mentioned them about 10 years ago and I thought it was a bit weird but then reading about them here made me try one - I would never go back (and wish I had been braver and tried them earlier).

MagpieMama Wed 30-Jul-14 19:36:14

I've just got a menstrual cup and recently used it for the first time. I absolutely love it. So much easier than I thought it would be and a lot more comfortable than pads or tampons.

ContentedLittleMummy Wed 30-Jul-14 19:43:35

Cups, sponges, cloth pads, I've even seen knitted and crocheted tampons. I kid you not.

SquidgyMummy Wed 30-Jul-14 20:05:21

just had a look at the mooncup website. Interesting that you can actually wear it quite low, i though it was high up like a diaphram.

well will order one, because the first couple of days of AF are hellish and i end up waking about 4 times in the night to change superplus tampon and pad (worn together) and also lie on a towel just in case - sorry for TMI...

One thing reviews have said on amazon is that it is quite hard to take out. I usually use applicator tampons, not lillet type things, so am not very used to having a "rummage around" in there... So how easy is removal?

TheFillyjonk Wed 30-Jul-14 20:10:12

Mooncup removal is okay, especially if you wear it quite low. It has a stem that you can grab to get it out, however I cut the stem off as I found it uncomfortable. I just locate it, squash it, fold it in a sort of half-moon and pull it out. The suction stops any spillage. What is also really helpful is to "bear down" as you try and pull it out. Really, don't worry about getting it out!

BeachyKeen Wed 30-Jul-14 20:16:24

Before my ablation -whooohoooo happy dance-- I used a Diva Cup (similar to moon cup, sold in Canada) and it was ace! I had super heavy periods, and it totally handled it.
Plus I saved about 20$ every fucking month!grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now