Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

If you were nearly 3 hours late for work...

(44 Posts)
missknows Wed 30-Jul-14 13:06:07

What would the protocol be?

Not late through choice but through motorway being closed.
Office is usually open 8-6 and you work 8 hours a day.
Person usually works 8-4 but if they have doctors or whatever so need to leave early or arrive late they just make up the time whenever is convenient. (Company is nice and flexible)
Person is paid salary not hourly so not being paid for those hours isn't really possible.

Genuine question as I am a teacher so when this person asked what to do I didn't have an answer as I've never been in this situation.

Would you expect
a) the person to make up the hours (obviously not all today as that wouldn't be possible)?
b) to leave at normal time and not make up the hours?
c) make up some time but not the whole 3 hours?
d) something else?

If it makes a difference- person has never been late before and works on average 15 mins a day more than they need to.

Happy36 Wed 30-Jul-14 13:07:55

I'd expect them to make up all of the time asap. Working from home could count if that",'s part of the company's usual policy.

HortenMarket Wed 30-Jul-14 13:08:17

If it was something beyond their control then I wouldn't expect them to make up the hours. If it was me in that situation I would offer but if I was the boss I would let it go. Especially if they are always punctual. How can anyone help it if the road is closed.

Theselittlelightsofmine Wed 30-Jul-14 13:10:15

If they normally work over the hours then perhaps do nothing or make up the hours missed by working half hour longer over 6 days or last option give them an hour extra and call it evens.

NorwaySpruce Wed 30-Jul-14 13:10:21

It totally depends on where they work.

My employers would be really awkward, and want to be repaid in blood, but I'm paid hourly.

My husband is salaried, and the people he works with wouldn't notice or care, as long as the work was done.

If the person doesn't report to anyone in particular, I suppose I'd tell them to make sure the work was done, but not count the hours up.

SirChenjin Wed 30-Jul-14 13:11:21

It would depend. If they had often worked past their finishing time in the past to help the business then I would turn a blind eye to a one off 3 hour lateness. I'm a firm believer in goodwill working both ways.

If they regularly finished on the dot then I would expect them to make up the time asap.

Vitalstatistix Wed 30-Jul-14 13:11:32

If it was a one off and in no way their fault, I'd just let it go, tbh.

hazelnutlatte Wed 30-Jul-14 13:11:44

I work in a similar set up and wouldn't make up the hours. I do work late fairly regularly though so if I actually added it up I would already be owed the hours anyway. If this person works 15mins extra every day then would make up this time in a few weeks without needing to do any more.

InternetFOREVER Wed 30-Jul-14 13:12:06

If it was a valued employee who often did beyond their working hours, I'd let it go and expect them to leave at normal time. Its not like they would have enjoyed three hours stuck in traffic.

SirChenjin Wed 30-Jul-14 13:12:15

Actually - scrap the last bit. As a one off, I would just turn a blind eye.

TheresLotsOfFarmyardAnimals Wed 30-Jul-14 13:13:22

B or C

Sometimes I'll work late to get a job finished, especially if I'm going to be off on holiday soon. Sometimes, I might get stuck in traffic.

Generally the rule is that we can use our lunch hour at any hour of the day but if more than an hour we have to take holiday. This obviously doesn't apply to traffic.

Most people get in early most days to allow for a bit of traffic time anyway.

runningonwillpower Wed 30-Jul-14 13:13:23

As a rule, it's your responsibility to get to work on time.

Having said that, if it were a one-off and I usually worked beyond the core hours, I would be disappointed if the boss was an arse about it. But I would still offer to make the time up.

hotfuzzra Wed 30-Jul-14 13:14:47

d) In the police the standard fine for anything is doughnuts.
The next day the culprit would be expected to bring in cakes/doughnuts for the whole rota. Simple but effective.
Pay is never docked for lateness and if they often finish late and work well it would not be spoken of again.

TightyMcTight Wed 30-Jul-14 13:16:19

I don't think it would even occur to me to make it up. It's not like they were asleep in bed or anything!

PuppyMonkey Wed 30-Jul-14 13:25:48

Ii used to work 8-4 and very occasionally I would be late because of bad accident - I remember not getting in till 10am one day. I didn't leave at 4 those days, I stayed till after 5 because I was catching up . But I would never have offered to make all the time up, and my employer wouldn't expect that either.

It was the same for example when there was a power cut for a few hours once. That wasn't my fault, so I didn't stay and make the time up. These things happen .

SingingSoftly Wed 30-Jul-14 13:26:55

Personally I think B is fair. But it sounds like the company works a bit differently to the places I have been employed. I work overtime every week and rare is the occasion that I need to come in late/leave early for appointments etc. I wouldn't expect to have to make up the time for that either. Over the year, the company still gets way more hours out of me than it pays for. It's only fair that they occasionally give me a little bit of time back, and it's in their interests as well, because it means I will be willing to continue to work the extra hours in the future.

Polyethyl Wed 30-Jul-14 13:28:36

C. or D. (doughnuts)

The person has a trustworthy history of being reliable, works a little extra every day anyway and it was entirely not their fault that they were late.

That's how it works in my office.

leadrightfoot Wed 30-Jul-14 13:34:59

Did they communicate the delay before arriving in the office of their own accord? Ie have I been worried they are involved in the accident? As a one off no action but would expect work to be done in timely fashion or advised if any problems with meeting a deadline
If not advised of reason for delay then a reminder for that lack of Adherence to protocol and common courtesy

SwedishEdith Wed 30-Jul-14 13:48:48

In this case, do nothing. They've already worked those extra hours already by doing 15 minutes extra per day

KnackeredMuchly Wed 30-Jul-14 13:49:44

C

Sherborne Wed 30-Jul-14 13:52:12

I agree with SingingSoftly, but it depends upon the type of work.

If the person late has responsibility for getting the work done by a certain deadline, then as long as that deadline is met, with the requisite quality, there's no issue. Likely they will have worked extra hours sometimes to meet other deadlines.

If the person is doing a job where someone else will have to pick up the slack if they're not there (say, call centre, shop floor etc...), then it's a bit trickier - if the company have had to pay someone else overtime to cover, then the late person probably should work the extra hours another time. If it's just inconvenienced other team members who've had to work a bit harder, then doughnuts is a good way to acknowledge the inconvenience.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Wed 30-Jul-14 13:56:04

I would expect the staff member to notify me that they were stuck in a delay and would be there asap. Whatever time they then managed to get in - fine.

I wouldnt expect them to make up the time as they were stuck in something outside of their control.

OnIlkleyMoorBahTwat Wed 30-Jul-14 14:03:41

My employer would expect the hours to be made up, but we work flexitime, so you just run a credit/debit balance. Some people might ask to use half a day of leave to make up the hours - we have fairly generous leave entitlements. If we work an extra 15 mins more than a standard day, that would add to the flexi credit anyway.

We travel for work and if the motorway closure happened on works time, eg you were 3 hours late home from a work trip out, you would receive flexi credit for the total journey time. It once took a group of people 12 hours to do a trip that normally took about 4 due to snow, so while they had to arrive home in the early hours of the morning, they had effectively earned a free day's leave in doing so.

missknows Wed 30-Jul-14 14:10:27

Thanks all- seems there isn't a straight forward would always be x answer.

As it happens- boss said not to worry about being late, go home at usual time.

For those of you asking- office job which work wouldn't have to have been covered or any deadlines missed or anything.

And they did text while stuck in standstill on motorway I mean while safely pulled over to the side of the road to let the boss know.

susiedaisy Wed 30-Jul-14 14:15:01

If the employee is usually punctual and works over their time I would let it go this time. If they had just overslept that would be different but they were on their way to work stuck in traffic beyond their control.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now