Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Would a hawk eat my housebunny?

(30 Posts)
KingJoffreysBloodshotEye Wed 30-Jul-14 09:41:28

My housebunny has recently started to take a leisurely bounce in my garden.

Totally fenced in so she can't escape. Is patio then gravel and she enjoys a dig, likes to nuzzle the plants and has the odd flop in the sun.

She then hops back in.

I assumed she was totally safe. However, DP has mentioned she could be snatched by a hawk. We live in Wiltshire, are near fields and stuff and DP reckons he's seen a couple (although a few miles from here).

confused

What do you think? Is my beautiful bunny at risk? Should I keep her in?

<Remembers Violet in Watership Down and has a small wibble.>

A Buzzard is quite capable of catching a Rabbit, but they are normally quite lazy birds, & go for already dead carcasses or Beatles etc.

JennyOnTheBlocks Wed 30-Jul-14 09:51:24

Ringo and Macca don't often visit Wiltshire do they?

KingJoffreysBloodshotEye Wed 30-Jul-14 09:51:43

But would they really swoop into a relatively small garden in a housing estate?

There's usually at least one cat lounging about too.

LuluJakey1 Wed 30-Jul-14 10:11:36

A hawk would. A cat might have a go if it is a small bunny and a big cat.

We used to have free range guinea pigs in the garden (in Wales) And a free range bunny. The bunny was HUGE so too big for your average hawk, however I'm afraid one of the guineap pigs WAS taken by the pair of Buzzards that hung out in the field behind our house... bit of a 'fly through' snack sad

If you are in a housing estate I'd think it unlikely but if really backing straight onto fields I'd keep an eye out!!

Ohwhatfuckeryisthis Wed 30-Jul-14 10:34:39

Most raptors would take an easy snack-buzzards are likely as said ^^.

dexter73 Wed 30-Jul-14 10:47:15

My friends rabbits both got eaten by a bird of prey from her garden. That was after the previous 2 were eaten by foxes.

Thisvehicleisreversing Wed 30-Jul-14 10:53:53

Our rabbit lived most of his life in the garden, hopping in sometimes to sit on the sofa.
We lived on a housing estate and he was fine. Well more than fine, he lived till the ripe old age of 13. smile

GobblersKnob Wed 30-Jul-14 10:57:23

A bird of prey (hawk?) Took a blackbird from right outside our kitchen door in our tiny yard, (terraced town house), so I would think it is quite possible if you are more rural.

ophiotaurus Wed 30-Jul-14 11:00:12

grin at JennyOntheBlocks

ArcheryAnnie Wed 30-Jul-14 11:05:03

My friend's house bunny was killed by a bird of prey (don't know what sort) in the tiny yard of her London house. She saw it from the kitchen.

Have the bunny out there, by all means, but be there as well.

How about putting a scarecrow in the garden.

ladymariner Wed 30-Jul-14 11:13:11

Sparrow hawks could well swoop down, but I still think your bunny has a lovely life smile

KingJoffreysBloodshotEye Wed 30-Jul-14 11:16:35

How about putting a scarecrow in the garden.

Oooo, would that work?

Totally up for building a scarecrow.

Shia Wed 30-Jul-14 11:27:03

Hi, my guinea pigs were free range but now we have a puppy we have bought them a non rusting all metal run which we move around the garden.

They love it in there. Pictures or follow.

LegoClone Wed 30-Jul-14 11:30:15

Sparrow hawks and kestrels aren't big enough to catch adult rabbits.

Buzzards do prey on rabbits but if it's a large pet rabbit in a garden it's highly unlikely to be targeted by one.

Red kites are probably the only other large bird of prey that you're likely to get in the area and they aren't likely to be a problem either:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-15259977

I'd let the bunny play in the garden as the risk seems pretty small. Unless your rabbit is a dwarf and the buzzards are constantly circling overhead of course!

LastTango Wed 30-Jul-14 11:31:40

& go for already dead carcasses or Beatles etc.

Really grin ? I'll tell Ringo and Paul to stay inside !

Shia Wed 30-Jul-14 11:33:06

The angle of the photo doesn't make it look very big but it is huge but still light enough for myself or my daughter to lift together or move by ourselves.

As you can see one of the piggies loves the puppies and they kiss and lick each other through the bars. He popcorn so when he sees the puppy! However, I wouldn't leave them alone. The one time I accidentally left a side bit open he did get in when my back was turned but all he was interested in was eating their food! Ha ha

chockbic Wed 30-Jul-14 11:34:11

I've seen an eagle eat a wild bunny.

Be more worried about foxes though.

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Wed 30-Jul-14 11:35:47

We have buzzards come down into our pheasant runs and take birds. A garden wouldn't be completely buzzard proof.

RabbitOfNegativeEuphoria Wed 30-Jul-14 11:39:39

Yes, a hawk or a falcon could take a domestic rabbit from a garden. It would have to be a big one - a kestrel would be too small. Probably. But a goshawk? yep.

TabbyM Wed 30-Jul-14 12:26:32

I wouldn't leave one loose unsupervised in case of cats or foxes - would think a decent pen or roofed run would be a lot safer. Plus human thieves stole my friend's guineas from her garden.

RobinHumphries Wed 30-Jul-14 12:31:10

A sparrowhawk or kestrel would easily catch my little dwarf rabbit. I don't trust seagulls either.

Adikia Wed 30-Jul-14 13:19:30

Mum has a sparrowhawk who is nesting in the trees at the bottom of her garden and she lives on the edge of a housing estate, I've watched her hunt in ridiculously small spaces but unless your bunny is a baby I don't think they'd be in any danger from a sparrowhawk as I don't think it could lift a rabbit, kestrels, hobbys, merlins and pereguine falcons would all be too small too.

Kites generally wouldn't be a threat, it's possibly big enough to carry off a rabbit if it was really hungry but generally prefers dead food and insects.

Buzzards would given half a chance though and have been known to hunt in towns and even cities. Harriers like rabbit, they are pretty rare though. (an eagle might too but as your not in Scotland you should be ok there).

Magpies apparently like to wind bunnies up though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now