Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Bloody hell. Racism is alive and well in rural England

(140 Posts)

Called into our local village pub last night, (there are two, and it wasn't our usual one) and some men on the next table were discussing the Gurdwara in a town a few miles away, (it is known locally as the Taj Mahal because it is such an impressive building) then it continued to 'imagine if you wanted to build a Catholic Church in their country' hmm

Things descended rapidly, until another man joined them, who apparently worked on the construction of the building, and was bragging that he had thrown a pork pie in the footings every day for a week. Dh and I were shockshockshock at the amount of congratulating and back slapping that went on.

Eventually after several gins I butted in and pointed out that a) they were racist, and b) Sikh's eat pork and probably couldn't care less that he'd thrown his lunch into the footings.

Apparently though, I'm a bit thick, because a Gurdwara is in fact a Muslim temple, and neither Sikhs or Muslims eat pork.

We left.hmm

Rhine Wed 30-Jul-14 09:25:14

Not just rural England sadly, I hear these kind of comments all the time the small town I live in. A lot of people are just thick and ignorant.

Oops, wrong topic, thought I was in chat.

I have reported it.

Rhine listening to that last night made me think this country still has a long way to go.

These were guys in their 40's, who will no doubt pass on their opinions to their children.

Depressing is exactly right. sad

temporarilyjerry Wed 30-Jul-14 09:28:34

Sikhs are vegetarians. However, they are not likely to be offended by a pork pie.

Rhine is right - thick and ignorant.

Homebird8 Wed 30-Jul-14 09:29:20

Regardless of topic YANBU, or ill educated, or racist. Well done for saying your piece.

PartyFops Wed 30-Jul-14 09:29:39

I think rural areas are worse, as they are less multi cultural.

I overheard someone who lived in a rural village say the following about visiting the Midlands "I felt like a dot on a domino!" I was shockhmmshockconfused

He said other things to but I don't wish to offend. I did not say anything as I was with my 3 year old dd at the pre school.

temporarilyjerry Wed 30-Jul-14 09:29:39

Also, I'm sure there are catholic churches in India.

PittTheYounger Wed 30-Jul-14 09:30:21

interestingly recent research shows that diverse urban areas are more racist

Maybe they hide it better

TalcumPowder Wed 30-Jul-14 09:31:05

I was completely wrong-footed by the explicitness of the anti-Asian feeling in the midlands village (near a city with a huge Asian population) we moved to from London. I've been told several times that the village school has gone downhill since 'they started letting out of catchment Asians in', and that a nearby soft play is dirty 'because Asians don't care about dirt -look at their houses.'

MsAspreyDiamonds Wed 30-Jul-14 09:32:01

They are thick and ignorant aren't they? There are catholic churches in India and there are Indian catholics. You don't have to be white to be a Christian & christianity did originate from the middle east. confused

I think Sikhs are vegetarian but I might be wrong.

Well done for standing up to the racists.

jacks365 Wed 30-Jul-14 09:32:13

Cat do you live near me because that sounds exactly like my local too mind you could also be my parents local. Sadly I do think racism is getting worse.

Andrewofgg Wed 30-Jul-14 09:32:19

A gurdwara is a Sikh temple. And not all Sikhs are vegetarian.

They were racist pigs. But if they had been working on a mosque they could rightly have said that in many Islamic countries you cannot build a church.

TalcumPowder Wed 30-Jul-14 09:32:21

Yes, I've been in several Catholic churches in South India, which has a significant Christian population.

PittTheYounger Wed 30-Jul-14 09:32:42

"The BSA survey shows that the West Midlands has the highest proportion of people – 36% – who say they are a little or very prejudiced against people of other races in the UK.'

AuntieStella Wed 30-Jul-14 09:34:18

It's nothing to do with being rural.

Did they seem to know that there are over 10million Catholics in India and no-one would blink if you built (another) church there?

(I hope they know the Taj Mahal is in India, but given the ignorance you describe, I'm not holding my breath).

MasqueradeWaltzer Wed 30-Jul-14 09:35:29

I've encountered a hell of a lot of casual racism in Dorset - much more than in London, where I lived before.

But 'it's not racist, it's just a laugh', apparently hmm.

There was enormous resistance here when schools were told they had to have an anti-racism policy because 'what's the point, we're all white here'. Perfectly illustrating the need to have one...

AuntieStella Wed 30-Jul-14 09:36:26

When I visited a gurdwara in India, food was vegetarian but IIRC that was because they were following an obligation to feed any visitor and providing vegetarian food meant they could feed all.

Staryyeyedsurprise Wed 30-Jul-14 09:38:14

temporarilyjerry
Also, I'm sure there are catholic churches in India

Or else Mother Theresa of Calcutta had an enormous trek!

Latara Wed 30-Jul-14 09:38:55

Masquerade I too live in Dorset, Bournemouth actually and Bournemouth is a lot more multi cultural than the rest of Dorset happily.

But my cousin who is married to a Nigerian and has 2 mixed race children lives in a small village nearby.
Recently her husband was racially abused and punched in the face in a road rage incident, it was nasty and the police still haven't caught the offender.

PittTheYounger Wed 30-Jul-14 09:39:12

you might THINK that about racism but it seems to be worse where 'races' actually do mix, rather than in predominantly white areas.

I think people in Rural areas have old terminology and aren't up to date with for eg not using 'coloured' and this might mask what are less racist attitudes

PittTheYounger Wed 30-Jul-14 09:39:33

Stella is right about the langar with Sikhs

WhereTheWildlingsAre Wed 30-Jul-14 09:39:46

Depressing, isn't it.

TinklyLittleLaugh Wed 30-Jul-14 09:40:17

The Sikhs I know eat meat, but not beef.

DS's Sikh girlfriend loves a bacon sandwich.

Of course she's not really allowed to be his girlfriend because her parents have their own brand of racism, but that's another thread.

PittTheYounger Wed 30-Jul-14 09:40:23

plus 'races' in urban areas tend not to mix at all - are very ghettoised - as shown in the report

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now