Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

does David Cameron take us all for mugs??

(78 Posts)
loombands Tue 29-Jul-14 19:38:16

How is cutting social security payments to 'immigrants', putting Britain first???

where will the saved money be redirected? Will we see evidence of the spending?

£500 million over 5 years pah! The man is a clown

Mrsjayy Tue 29-Jul-14 19:42:43

He is just shitting himself because of the seemingly large ukip support of tory middle england

loombands Tue 29-Jul-14 19:44:51

they are all clowns...

KnackeredMuchly Tue 29-Jul-14 19:49:07

In answer to the title, yes he really does.

Mrsjayy Tue 29-Jul-14 19:49:13

Aye they are

Middleagedmotheroftwo Tue 29-Jul-14 19:52:09

Not being funny, but isn't that a good idea?

GrainDeMalice Tue 29-Jul-14 19:55:41

I understood there was a reciprical agreement in place between EU countries - so if someone claimed JSA here, we claimed it back from their home country - for a six month period, I think. It sounds like more smoke and mirrors to me.

loombands Tue 29-Jul-14 19:56:56

in what way motheroftwo?

racmun Tue 29-Jul-14 19:57:51

how is it a bad thing ??

If it means that. £500m doesn't need to be raised through taxes / cuts elsewhere to pay benefits to people that have never contributed to the National insurance scheme. The hint is in the name National not International.

loombands Tue 29-Jul-14 19:58:17

YY i think so grain i know we were able to claim benefits in scandaavia for eg (dont know if that still is the case)

Mrsjayy Tue 29-Jul-14 20:00:02

Do you really thing the goverment will put the money back to the people it will vanish into thin air

loombands Tue 29-Jul-14 20:09:04

lots of people are distancing themselves from the decision
lots of people are distancing themselves from the £500 miliion figure
DC is very contradictory...in the bbc report I read, he aimed it at 'illegal immigrants' confused....surely they should get nothing...if that is the way you are going to play it?

but its not, it will affect immigarnts who have worked here for years, and paid plenty in taxes probably

Financial immigrants by definition come here to work
Asylum seekers come here to escape death/persecution
does he really believe people swarm to UK to support a family on £70/week?

When will they accept that 'immigrants' have a net benefit to this country?

Elfhame Tue 29-Jul-14 20:26:20

Judging by the support for UKIP a lot of voters are mugs

joanofarchitrave Tue 29-Jul-14 20:35:51

Yes he does. Or IDS does. And it's bloody mutual.

It will 'save' a maximum of about £36 million by my calculation. (£70 a week x 52 weeks, x 10,000 people which is the ABSOLUTE MAXIMUM we are talking about - likely much less). The prime minister probably has that in his back bloody pocket. What it will do is put off yet more legal migration, of people who we know are MORE likely to pay into the system than the average person born here. Like what we need is fewer working-age people paying into the social security system.

Preciousbane Tue 29-Jul-14 20:39:03

It's a sound bite but I guarantee lots of people will think its a great idea, my FIL and BIL for starters.

Cornettoninja Tue 29-Jul-14 20:52:59

I would have thought the biggest costs associated with illegal immigrants are things like border control, detention centres and tracking. By nature of their illegality they don't really sign on.

Immigrants from outside the EU are generally already following strict rules such as the spousal support or employment contracts. From inside the EU - well I don't think we get much choice in whether or not to offer them social support, but I would question the logic of anyone upping sticks from the continent for the amount benefits pay considering the cost of living. I don't doubt there's a few who try it, but I reckon most figure it's not a great way to live.

Tbh stupid hacks to the benefit system will cost us all far more in police and healthcare because we're not barbaric and won't let people become career thieves if we can catch them or die in the gutter.

Viviennemary Tue 29-Jul-14 20:58:01

He's clutching at straws. The LD's are in meltdown. The Tories aren't popular. UKIP is an unknown quantity at the General Election. It's panic stations!

ChairmanWow Tue 29-Jul-14 21:01:03

It's all bollocks. Legal immigrants are much less likely to claim than UK-born people. They pay plenty of tax into our coffers too - more than they use in benefits and services. Illegal immigrants can't claim benefits.

Pandering to the terminally ignorant.

picnicbasketcase Tue 29-Jul-14 21:02:54

Transparent attempt to appease racists and xenophobes to stop them voting ukip. The heartless, thoughtless, immoral twat.

firstchoice Tue 29-Jul-14 21:06:06

Yes, he ABSOLUTELY takes us for mugs.

He is promoting the fragmentation of society.
The gap between 'haves' and 'have nots' is at an all time high and many of us live in fear of slipping, as there is NO safety net any more. People can turn on each other in their fear and scrabbling over limited resources and that is exactly what he and his ilk count on. It is vile.

He doesn't give a shit, as long as he is re-elected.

I think he is as morally bankrupt as Tony Blair, (and that is saying something)
(and as many thought Margaret Thatcher was at the time too)

rootypig Tue 29-Jul-14 21:08:44

Brilliant. 'Immigrants', like my DH, also look forward to not paying taxes while they live here either.

<spits>

OnIlkelyMoorBahtat Tue 29-Jul-14 21:25:33

He takes us for total mugs. As has been said above, illegal immigrants by their very definition can't get benefits. "Legal" immigrants (god that sound awful) on average put into the system (via tax, etc) more than they take out. And if they had an actual 'plan' instead of oh-so-tough soundbites, they'd be chomping at the bit to tell us what this plan might be.

They've basically rushed this 'story' out to give all the Daily Mail readers something to froth about so they can to hide the fact that yesterday they finally gave the green light to fracking.

rootypig Tue 29-Jul-14 21:29:31

Actually what am I talking about? it says "no recourse to public funds" in DH's passport anyway.

<bitter>

loombands Tue 29-Jul-14 21:31:58

Can he use the NHS rooty?
does it just apply to unemployment payment?

how can he be expected to pay tax? confused

rootypig Tue 29-Jul-14 21:39:31

He can use the NHS - not that he's needed to. But our family is not entitled to other support eg tax credits, despite the fact that I am British, DD was born here, and DH has been breadwinner while I was SAHP.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/public-funds--2/public-funds

Oh well, off to the US in a couple of weeks, then I really will have something to complain about. hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now