Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Article on Guardian's facebook page about criminalising pregnant women who drink.

(63 Posts)
withaspongeandarustyspanner Tue 29-Jul-14 18:10:39

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jul/29/criminalising-pregnant-women-dystopia-freedom

The comments are making me cross. I've had to come here so I don't add my own comments.

vicmackie Tue 29-Jul-14 18:13:36

Why are the comments making you cross?

withaspongeandarustyspanner Tue 29-Jul-14 18:16:58

just the general hatred of women that's out there. I commented on something the other day (it was about breast cancer treatment) - it wasn't even offensive and I got called a cretinous whore and he wished I got cancer and died.

It's all depressing.

ilovechristmas1 Tue 29-Jul-14 18:19:48

only skimmed article

but imho i dont think women should drink while pregnant or smoke but i would not want to see it as a crime either

the majority of women are intelligent enough to know the risks,some are not but you cannot police everybody that may drink while pregnant

if i have read this all wrong apologies grin

DownstairsMixUp Tue 29-Jul-14 18:24:14

Stupid comments. What next, shall we lock women whose BMI is over 25 when they fall pregnant because of the "risks" to the baby?! Stupid!

VFXdad Tue 29-Jul-14 18:24:21

I've followed those comments from the start.

I don't see it's all women hating.

It's a contentious issue you're bound to get friction

KnackeredMuchly Tue 29-Jul-14 18:35:52

My cousins have fetal alcohol syndrome. Their mother chose not to abort and instead drowned her unborn babies in vodka meaning they have such severe brain damage they will be on life long disability benefits.

I feel there are better alternatives to be prison though. Support is needed more so than threats but there is a rise in FAS and some gorm of action should be taken..

Happy36 Tue 29-Jul-14 18:39:38

Sorry to hear of your poor cousins, knackered. How very sad.

However, it's fine to drink alcohol in moderation, especially after the first trimester so I can see why the original poster was angered by the unnecessary article on the Grauniad's facebook.

Personally I don't agree with smoking during pregnancy, but I wouldn't want to see it made ilkegal.

limitedperiodonly Tue 29-Jul-14 18:42:24

there is a rise in FAS and some gorm of action should be taken

Presumably against the gormless. What gorm of action do you suggest?

VFXdad Tue 29-Jul-14 18:42:28

I have a similar story knackered and very much agree with you.

KnackeredMuchly Tue 29-Jul-14 18:45:45

I should say Happy that even in light of them I still drink in my pregnancies. They cant prove a 'safe' limit so recommend zero. But I am happy with lots of anecdotal evidence that a unit or two occasionally will not cause harm.

limitedperiodonly Tue 29-Jul-14 18:46:22

I reacted without considering your post knackered. I apologise. What would you suggest?

KnackeredMuchly Tue 29-Jul-14 19:03:18

An enforced rehabilitation centre sounds good to me for the rest of pregnancy. If someone chooses not to go along with therapy etc then at least they are withdrawing in a safe manner. It would be upsetting but personally I think better than the alternative. Only in extreme exceptional circumstances of course.

But I guess there would need to be a court order so you would need to criminalise pregnant drinking in some manner?

grocklebox Tue 29-Jul-14 19:10:18

enforced rehab is basically prison. You can't lock a woman up because she's pregnant. We are not incubators and do not lose basic rights just because we get knocked up.

ilovechristmas1 Tue 29-Jul-14 19:18:47

if somebody wants to drink heavily whilst pregnant nobody is gonna stop them

and its getting ridiculous how people are not expected to be responsible for there own choices

KnackeredMuchly Tue 29-Jul-14 19:18:50

I understand your point, but disagree.

CatKisser Tue 29-Jul-14 19:24:11

I am genuinely shocked that anyone would consider enforced rehab as an acceptable option!

limitedperiodonly Tue 29-Jul-14 19:24:25

Then I wouldn't agree with you knackered and would agree with grocklebox

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SlicedAndDiced Tue 29-Jul-14 19:29:23

It's a contentious issue.

Personally I do think it should be criminalised. I understand there are women who decide to drink a few units here and there anyway and don't harm their babies.

But there are women who do drink so much they damage their children.

My neighbour for one. So mind numbingly slaughtered with her first child she'll have lifelong disabilities. And so pissed on cider in her current pregnancy she fell in the street unconscious and I had to call an ambulance.

I know people don't want to give up what they see as a right of theirs because SOME are stupid arseholes.

But back before drink driving was banned wasn't it the same thing? Most could have a couple then leave. Some got so wankered they couldn't see and killed/ harmed people.

It's nine months (well 10 technically) Is it really going to breech your human rights that much?

CatKisser Tue 29-Jul-14 19:31:28

It is dangerous to assume rights over a woman's body because she is pregnant. You cannot override her free will like that, however serious the repercussions to her unborn child.
This. A hundred times this.

WutheringTights Tue 29-Jul-14 19:32:22

Yes.

SlicedAndDiced Tue 29-Jul-14 19:36:08

Isn't that going a bit overboard?

I don't see it as the state assuming rights over my body just because I'm driving a car and making me wear a seatbelt or not drink.

I don't really see it as the state assuming rights over my body with all the other laws put in place, is it just because it involves pregnancy?

If anything that's less interference. It only affects us for a few months. the other laws affect us for the duration of our lives.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WutheringTights Tue 29-Jul-14 19:37:13

That was yes to Sliced. What next? Being locked up for not eating enough broccoli when pregnant? Not taking your folic acid? Convictions for not resigning from stressful jobs (studies suggest that the effects of stress on foetuses are worse than moderate alcohol consumption)? Why not just put all pregnant women in padded cells with strictly controlled access to any harmful substances, including car exhaust fumes, chemicals of all kinds and any foodstuffs considered unhealthy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now