Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Will anybody here admit to using vagisil?

(45 Posts)
CundtBake Tue 29-Jul-14 16:46:37

Or products of that nature?

Forgive me if I'm being incredibly naive but why do these products exist? Can't people just wash their fanjos? Don't they give you terrible thrush?

What if you want to get intimate with somebody, won't it become very obvious that you use fanny potpourri?

I've never understood it

shouldnthavesaid Tue 29-Jul-14 16:52:11

Yes, when I had severe thrush and was absolutely desperate. It didn't work. The sedatives that A&E gave me (in the abscence of any canesten) worked three hundred times better.

I'm pretty sure you aren't meant to wash at all save with plain water or something prescribed by a doctor (so says my gynaecologist).

shouldnthavesaid Tue 29-Jul-14 16:53:27

It was the one with lidocaine that I used, I forgot to say. It had a stupid flowery smell.

Do you mean the washes? If so, no I don't use them but I always have a tube of Vagisil in the house for irritations/thrush. I'm not embarrassed, should I be?

Sparklingbrook Tue 29-Jul-14 17:00:04

i did raise an eyebrow when I saw this advertised on the TV. Not sure spraying is wise.

I have some of the wash somewhere but can't remember why i bought it. It's hidden away as the DSs would use it as shower gel. grin

pissedglitter Tue 29-Jul-14 17:01:34

I used it when I had a reaction to scented sanitary towels hmm

It was a cream not the wash stuff
Don't know if it helped as I stopped using the towels too so could have been that

Sparklingbrook Tue 29-Jul-14 17:02:53

Oh you reminded me pissed, i had an awful reaction to Shea butter Andrex. sad OMG it was BAD.

PeoplesFrontOfJudea Tue 29-Jul-14 17:03:15

Sparkling brook, it is just shower gel. Just expensive, crappy, not fit for purpose shower gel.

Wetthemogwai Tue 29-Jul-14 17:05:35

I needed it DESPERATELY a few years ago after washing with a new shower gel that irritated.
It was so bad that although I had a tube at home I had to buy some whilst in town to apply in a public toilet as it was so bad blush

I have NEVER experienced pain, itching and relief like that!

shouldnthavesaid Tue 29-Jul-14 17:08:55

Best thing I have used for itching to be honest is pure witch hazel ointment. Better even than prescribed steroids cream!

Hakluyt Tue 29-Jul-14 17:11:25

If you're itchy you probably have thrush so you need an anti fungal cream. Otherwise you don't need to use anything but plain water or unscented soap. Everything else is a marketing exercise.

YY to change in shower gel/washing powder/wind direction...

Pandora37 Tue 29-Jul-14 17:51:13

Fanny potpourri grin

I use the wash sometimes. I have no idea if it "works" or not but I bought into the marketing ploy I guess. I don't use the sprays or anything of that ilk.

mumtosome61 Tue 29-Jul-14 17:56:23

I use vagsil - not all the time, but whenever I get very stressed for some reason I have the annoying side effect of just itching everywhere - including my vagina. I've ripped skin off and caused myself a right load of bother so I always have a tube at hand - it normally stops it before it gets too serious but like another poster said, full on thrush needs to be treated more seriously.

I use the wash occasionally - in the summer mainly. I have a very sweaty, manual job and am hyper conscious of fanjo smell. I don't use it all the time though.

KnackeredMuchly Tue 29-Jul-14 18:10:34

I use a fem fresh wash. It's none scented but mild enough not too sting. I am too sensitive for soap.

clareyfarey Tue 29-Jul-14 18:12:36

I used it when I was pregnant

yet another glamorous side effect was terrible itching, which definitely wasn't thrush!

Olbas Tue 29-Jul-14 18:58:56

When it first came out I used Vagisil talc. I quite liked it!

Redcherries Tue 29-Jul-14 19:28:57

I want to know why you can't buy special ball wash. Is it because only women are unclean?

TheCunkOfPhilomena Tue 29-Jul-14 19:40:37

I've seen it for sale in Poundland. I must say that until reading the posts on here I had no idea why people used it!

CundtBake Tue 29-Jul-14 20:02:44

I really should have clarified I didn't mean the creams for itching! Although if they are scented aren't they just likely to irritate more and cause thrush?

I meant the washes and sprays...like fanjo deodorant! I've always just used water and never felt the need to cover it in perfume

Like others I've used the cream but never the washes/sprays. I'm sensitive to most sanitary protection so sometimes get itchy vulva that is definitely not thrush (no discharge/smell etc) just itchy skin. I have quite dry itchy skin all over irritated by soaps shower gels etc but you can publicly itch your arm or leg. People might have something to say about itching in your knicker area.

GinAndSonic Tue 29-Jul-14 20:13:42

I dont, though i do use lavander oil for thrush so sometimes i have a fragrenced fanny. Im always hyperaware and embarressed about it though. I once had a right rant about fucking scented sanitary towels. Vaginas / vulvas are not flowers, and should not smell like flowers. They should smell like clean, healthy vaginas /vulvas.

The cream isn't scented Cundt, but I agree with you. Why anyone would use the wash/spray is beyond me. Body shaming at it's worst. Quick blast with the shower head as jobs a good one.

Shia Tue 29-Jul-14 20:25:03

I have nothing of great merit to add to this thread except my son when he was a young teenager thought the ad for it was highly amusing and thought it hilarious when we were in Boots to say loudly, "Don't forget the vagisil!"

He stopped doing it when he unwrapped a tube of it on his birthday!

CundtBake Tue 29-Jul-14 20:27:11

A poor girl at school got caught with a bag of fem fresh spray in her bag. She claimed she had picked it up thinking it was deodorant and it was actually her mums (I guess in the vain hope that would make it any better?)

She never lived it down

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now