Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

When did you realise you were an actual grown up?

(167 Posts)

I have been thinking about my life recently and I have started to realise that I am no longer a girl, I am a woman. An actual grown up.
I have been a grown up for ages too (early thirties)

But these things have really confirmed it for me..

*I am in another age category when I do surveys
*I was nearly hit by a ball that these young lads were playing with and one shouted to the other 'Wath out for that lady'
*I turn on the radio and I have no flippin idea who's on, or what they are on about

What did it for you? wine

I sometimes think that although I will be 46 soon, I've still never quite grown up grin

Even the DCs think so......

Jumblebee Tue 29-Jul-14 13:30:37

I haven't gotten to that stage yet!confused

I have a 1 year old and sometimes I still don't feel like a mum!

CMOTDibbler Tue 29-Jul-14 13:31:15

The pivotal moment for me was buying school uniform. Somehow, this defined me as a mother and proper grown up more than anything else

magichandles Tue 29-Jul-14 13:32:28

When I stopped bunking the train and would always make the effort to get a ticket. I guess I was about 26/27? I think it coincided with me thinking train tickets were an extortionate waste of money and being happy to pay for travel as I had a job that paid enough.

Jumblebee My eldest is 14 and I still have moments where I don't feel like a mum grin

weegiemum Tue 29-Jul-14 13:33:46

A grown up?

Boaty Tue 29-Jul-14 13:34:55

Some days I feel grown up, when I see something on tv or music was from 30 years ago or I hear myself sounding like my mother/grandmother! grin
Otherwise I don't feel grown up at all!! I'm 47!

misog2000 Tue 29-Jul-14 13:36:21

I realised I was officially old (or just a bit sad) when I told the girls at work how excited I was about my new Hoover being delivered today hmm

MrsRonBurgundy Tue 29-Jul-14 13:36:42

Mine was when I started keeping alcohol in my house just for some in stock. And it lasted more than a week shock

Fryone your kids are sweethearts, my son thinks I am really old!

Jumblebee that might change when you are referred to as __'s Mum all the time rather than your actual name

I am not yet at that stage CMOT! Soon though. That is very grown up too.

BreeVDKamp Tue 29-Jul-14 13:37:17

Still waiting for that!

Naughty magic!

Love some of these replies keep them coming!

Alcohol lasting longer than a week- was you unwell? grin

Missunreasonable Tue 29-Jul-14 13:39:38

I realised that I was a grown up when I moved into my first house and started paying the mortgage at 19 years old.

WaitingForMe Tue 29-Jul-14 13:40:11

When I joined the National Trust.

EvilHerbivore Tue 29-Jul-14 13:40:45

I've recently gone NC with my mother and haven't had contact with my father in nearly 15 years (his choice) so actually its starting to hit me how grown up I feel now - I have 2 young DSs (3 and 1) and its solely down to me (and DP), I have no one else to rely on or know that they 'have my back' should the proverbial hit the fan especially magnified I think by the fact that both DPs parents have sadly died too

ToriaPumpkin Tue 29-Jul-14 13:42:46

Looking at the bag of name labels for my DS starting nursery in October. Terrifying.

Aww Evil, I imagine that is a very grown up feeling

Another moment for me a while back was when I was managing a small team of 18-23 year old staff, now they made me feel super old! I never knew what they were on about.

Purplewithred Tue 29-Jul-14 13:47:50

When my best friend's husband was killed in an accident and I had to step up to the mark and help her, her mum and her kids while handling my own (much lesser) grief. And I did it.

EvilHerbivore Tue 29-Jul-14 13:49:15

Thanks comedy (sorry though, think you were looking for more light hearted answers!)

If it helps balance it out, I also felt very old when some of the kids I work with did not know who the spice girls were when dancing to "Wannabe" on the wii's Just Dance game! I was outraged, having been born late-80s I was a huge fan at the time! Girl power!

Small things, like taking dd1 to the dentist for a check up. It seemed a very grown up thing to do!

Also, a couple of days ago I was in the bathroom, looking into the mirror, and dd1 shouting 'mummy!' The combination of seeing my face and hearing the word really hit home.

MrsRonBurgundy Tue 29-Jul-14 13:51:08

comedy I must have been wine

Don't be sorry at all.

I was the one that told everyone about my Nan's death as I was notified first. It actually made it so much harder to grieve as I was trying to be strong for the others. I still don't think I have grieved, I am not sure when I will.

That's awful purple

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now