Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

How long to recover after an operation?

(45 Posts)
RainbowTeapot Tue 29-Jul-14 09:32:57

I had a jaw operation last week and have a few questions..

I'm still exhausted. Is this normal? I thought I'd be "back to normal" after 3 or 4 days. (I'm in bed at the moment while husband watches kids).

My jaw still hurts. I've had 3 days of cocodamol, and now onto paracetamol interspersed with ibuprofen. Is that all i can do?

I feel nauseous. Presumably the anaesthic is out (nearly a week) Is it all the soft foods and drugs? Its only normal drugs though? What can I do. I really want dry toast and marmite but i can't eat real food!!

Cocolepew Tue 29-Jul-14 09:50:33

I think it takes 2 weeks for GA to leave the body, especially if you were out for a while. It knocks me for 6 when I have it.
Were you told to come of the cocodamol? If it helped buy some more or ask your GP to prescribe you something stronger. Don't suffer.
I think you are expecting too much too soon, rest up and let your body recover flowers

JennyOnTheBlocks Tue 29-Jul-14 09:56:35

Two weeks minimum for GA to leave your system I was told, and then it depends on how your own metabolism is. Codeine makes you drowsy too, so that will have affected you too, but you should probably be medicating regularly rather than letting pain build up. I would take the strongest available and sleep it off for at least another week.

Can you manage soup, that might give you more energy, but agree with coco, it's still early days.

Cocolepew Tue 29-Jul-14 09:59:31

I agree with jenny about medicating regularly. Its best to take it every 4 hours, whether you think you need it then or not. You can medicate every 2 hours using diferent combinations if the pain is severe.

LetsFaceTheMusicAndDance Tue 29-Jul-14 10:18:47

Definitely get on top of the pain rather than just take painkillers when you're already hurting.
When you were discharged did they give you a number to ring if you're concerned?

RainbowTeapot Tue 29-Jul-14 10:22:42

THe packet says not to use cocodamol more than 3 days - I assume due to addiction? I have some though....

I was sent home with oralmorph but refused it as it makes me sick and paranoid. I had it in hospital as it was all they offered me but they gave me antiemitic too. The staff then realised it messed with my head! It killed the pain though...

I hadn't realised it took 2 weeks. My husband cant take long off work and I have 2 hyper small children he's been watching. My parents are of the "whats the fuss" type and already told me I should be ok now.

RainbowTeapot Tue 29-Jul-14 10:25:39

I've been taking ibuprofen and paracetamol as often as I'm allowed (alternating every couple of hours) from the minute I get up. No "letting the pain build up!" It still hurts. Not as in agony (that's only when I wake up and there's nothing in my system) but definite pain. The sort you'd normally just take a paracetamol for but I can't as I've already taken one!

Should I still feel nauseus? What's that about?

LetsFaceTheMusicAndDance Tue 29-Jul-14 10:26:27

Can you ring your GP and ask about meds? Ours does phone appointments. I've taken codeine for much longer than 3 days after surgery but that was under the direction of the hospital and GP.

thornrose Tue 29-Jul-14 10:29:26

Are you taking something to protect your stomach lining. My sis just had surgery and she is taking a pill with the word 'Gastro' in it, sorry can't remember the full name. It helps with the nausea I think.

RainbowTeapot Tue 29-Jul-14 10:33:48

Um, no thorn. That would make sense.

I could ring GP - I just get a receptionist though - I thought phone appointments were only for emergency appointments (I'm not sure, I'm rubbish with doctors).

If I just get the go ahead to take more codeine that would be good.
I hope I'm not hurting my stomach lining sad (I'm a bit panicky).

My diet so far is porridge, yoghurt, soup, mashed banana, smoothie, carrot and swede mash, cauliflowe cheese mush, and tea

Husband has kindly taken kids out for abit but he's getting fed up with having them 24/7. I'm feeling sulky.

LetsFaceTheMusicAndDance Tue 29-Jul-14 10:39:32

Good point thorn.
I was told to have ibuprofen with or just after food to protect my stomach lining but I didn't bother because it's like concrete.

I think you're best off talking to a medical person who can give you all the info you need. Also, that might stop your DH and in laws taking the piss-if you can turn round and say, well the doctor says....

LetsFaceTheMusicAndDance Tue 29-Jul-14 10:41:41

And it's worth bearing in mind that there s usually particularly difficult day / set of days after surgery and they don't always happen straight afterwards either.

RainbowTeapot Tue 29-Jul-14 10:45:51

Not even in laws - its my parents that are local! They've never been good with other people being ill though so won't make much difference (best one was when I was in intensive care but that's another story...)

Makes me wonder my own judgement though. I feel cross with myself that after a week I'm not up and about. Presumably I'd be back at work if I'd been working?!?

I might make a Dr appointment. Feel a bit silly as there's nothing seriously "wrong" I just don't like the pain/nausea and don't quite know how to pick up.

RainbowTeapot Tue 29-Jul-14 10:46:28

THanks for all the replies. I feel a bit less "malingery".

thornrose Tue 29-Jul-14 11:05:48

I keep harping on about my sis but she had her op a week ago Thursday, so almost 2 weeks. She felt nauseous and couldn't face food and is only now getting her appetite back and eating small amounts. Her best time to eat is the morning when she's relatively pain killer free.

If you were working you would certainly have been signed off sick.

I'm sorry if I panicked you about the stomach lining thing! My sis is on other drugs as well as paracetamol and ibuprofen which is probably why she has the stomach medication.

Definitely ring your GP tell the receptionist you have recently had surgery and are feeling unwell, they'll probably get a GP to ring you back.

RainbowTeapot Tue 29-Jul-14 11:09:14

Thanks Thorn. I have my phone in bed with me - will ring dr. Deep breath. He's not going to tell me I should just get out of bed and pull self together is he?

thornrose Tue 29-Jul-14 11:11:11

God no. You are being too bloody stoical. Don't play it down either, write it down before you ring if you have to.

RainbowTeapot Tue 29-Jul-14 11:14:04

The doctors going to call me - I get tongue-tied .. is this what I should say?

I had oral surgery a week ago with some complications - I'm still struggling with pain and nauseous - can i take more codeine? Or something else?
and should I still feel nauseous/tired?

thornrose Tue 29-Jul-14 11:19:14

Yes that sounds perfect and emember to say that you are alternating paracetamol and ibuprofen. Read it from the screen if it helps.

RainbowTeapot Tue 29-Jul-14 11:35:17

Ha - growing up I was always made to feel the oposite of stoical! I feel like I'm whining and "should" be coping better! Really appreciate your posts, thanks. I'll leave the computer window open for when they ring back/

thornrose Tue 29-Jul-14 11:42:49

You're really not coming across as whining, at all. I'll check back and see how you got on (in a non creepy/stalker way) grin

gobbin Tue 29-Jul-14 11:53:27

What are you like with Tramadol? I find it very effective at relieving pain and spacing me out slightly without getting the full weird morphine effect. If you get offered it, I'd take it over the co-codamol.

RainbowTeapot Tue 29-Jul-14 11:58:25

I'm not sure I've had tramadol.

I've got two more ops like this coming up - I'm going to need childcare aren't I? And time off work ( I only work one day a week so thought I could avoid that). I'm feeling panicky.

RiverTam Tue 29-Jul-14 12:01:48

it took me 3 weeks to recover from keyhole surgery last year, and even after that I wasn't 100%. The GA knocked me out for hours and hours, the day surgery unit was shutting for the day around me!

whereas my mum had a mastectomy, she was awake consuming toast within 30 mins of coming out of surgery and was up and around in no time. And she's pushing 80!

We increased DD's nursery days for the first 2 weeks, and I had help in the 3rd week.

RainbowTeapot Tue 29-Jul-14 12:13:33

Yup similar- day surgery unit shut around me and I had to stay overnight where I didn't respond quite as well as I should. Still was a state the next day to be honest. Why is that?!

I have a 5 year old and a 2.5 year old at home (summer holidays). Luckily husband is home at the moment but I'm really not managing this recoverying m'larky very well.

I don't think we can afford help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now