Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

how do I become a 'morning person'?

(314 Posts)
charlietangoteakettlebarbeque Tue 29-Jul-14 07:14:53

Is it possible?

Mostlyjustaluker Tue 29-Jul-14 07:18:06

What do you mean by a morning person?

What time do you go to bed now and what time do you want to get up?

MrsPresley Tue 29-Jul-14 07:24:20

What is a "morning person"?

I'm up early every morning, between 5 and 6 but I'm definitely not very sociable for at least 2 hours grin

I don't even put the TV on till everyone else is away to work or school (on the days I don't work) because i can't stand the talking!

Panzee Tue 29-Jul-14 07:25:34

Yep, it is possible. You just have to get up early every day and eventually you will get used to it.

PossumPoo Tue 29-Jul-14 07:25:44

Yes it's possible. I am now a morning person, what helped was just accepting the early mornings and not grumbling about it.

I nap sat and sun so I can stay up late and pretend I still have my old life! grin

You do get used to less sleep.

charlietangoteakettlebarbeque Tue 29-Jul-14 07:33:06

I'm such a grouch every morning, no matter how much sleep I have had. For example I had 7.5 hours last night. Should be enough? I ended up being a complete cow to dp. I just hate mornings. I'm okay after about half hour and then have to apologise to dp.

I just hate getting up. I wish I wasn't like this. My ds sees me in a mood and it's horrible. I want to change but don't know how.

even if I've had 10 hours sleep I'm still a bitch and I can't seem to stop myself.

Mostlyjustaluker Tue 29-Jul-14 07:44:17

I need at least 8 hours sleep but everybody is different. I love getting up in the morning but I mostly love it because only the cat bothers me.

It sounds like you and your do need to come to an understanding that you don't talk for the first half an hour you are up. Problem solved.

PossumPoo Tue 29-Jul-14 07:46:15

You have to pull yourself up on your bad mood, make a note the night before, like be happy for DS so even though you feel shit, you don't act it out.

It isn't easy but once I just accepted it was me who was going to do the early mornings it got better.

And I became a morning person in my mid 30s, prior to that I loved a good sleep in until lunch time!

Pointlessfan Tue 29-Jul-14 07:50:46

I am horrible in the morning and always have been. When I first moved in with DH my mum actually advised him never to wake me up without first placing a cup of tea on the bedside table and then moving to a safe distance!! However, I have learnt that if I get up and go to work early I can get loads done and then be home by 5 to enjoy my evening so that has helped with the getting up.

treaclesoda Tue 29-Jul-14 07:55:47

I think you probably need to come to an agreement that your dp doesn't try to start any major conversation with you in the morning. And you need to take control and not be horrible, just because you hate getting up. Count to 10 or something. Walk into another room. Anything except taking it out on your dp - it's not his fault that it's morning time.

bayrans Tue 29-Jul-14 07:58:25

Have a baby?

mrswishywashy Tue 29-Jul-14 08:02:04

I've always been a morning person but I also don't need much sleep, mostly I thrive on very little sleep.

If your partner is up could you get him to make you a cup of tea or drink and have fifteen mins to yourself. Or try and change your mind set even if for a start only a few days a week.

Bunbaker Tue 29-Jul-14 08:02:56

I agree with possum

Years ago I went into town with MIL and SIL for the day. We had made an early start and SIL was really grumpy and short with me. I asked MIL what I had done to upset her and she told me that SIL was always like that in the morning.

I'm afraid that I thought that giving in to feeling grumpy every day and being short with other people was very self indulgent and that she should have made more of an effort.

The only answer I can think of is that you just need to exercise a bit more self control. You can't change the way you feel, but you can change the way you behave. It isn't nice making other people feel bad about themselves just because you feel bad about yourself.

InSummer Tue 29-Jul-14 08:03:19

Coffee machine next to bed?

I'm an early morning person at the moment as between 6 and 8 has been the only time it feels cool enough to blow dry my hair!

Could you eat breakfast in the garden? Always makes me feel better about the morning.

treaclesoda Tue 29-Jul-14 08:07:57

it's also worth remembering that the vast majority of people hate the morning as much as you do.

GermyJamie Tue 29-Jul-14 08:15:46

Start the day telling both DP and DS something you love about them. Bo other discussion allowed until you have done this.

flipwit Tue 29-Jul-14 08:20:07

Glass of OJ as soon as you wake up, to rehydrate and boost blood sugars?

FunkyBoldRibena Tue 29-Jul-14 08:20:28

Get up earlier, have a coffee and shower and by the time everyone else gets up you will be pleasant to talk to?

Preciousbane Tue 29-Jul-14 08:24:24

I am not a morning person, neither is DH so it is fine. When I was working and used to leave by 8 am we would only say goodbye. DS is also not a morning person.

I got up at 7 today, DH joined me at 8, we may speak by about 8.30. By not having to talk there is no grumpiness.

Mrsjayy Tue 29-Jul-14 08:27:23

I get up fine early isnt a bind but god im a grumpy cow and dont feel awake takes ages to come round I dont know how to be a cheery morning person I just feel urgh, I dont really talk in the morning I think you have to accept it takes you a while.

JennyOnTheBlocks Tue 29-Jul-14 08:32:58

No matter what time the household has to get up, one of either DH and I get up 30 mins apart.

Can't do conversation first thing, not even to the dog.

It's not a mood thing, it's a processing issue. Give yourself time to see what else is going on before you slot yourself in.

SevenZarkSeven Tue 29-Jul-14 08:33:53

I'm not sure you can change its quite fundamental isn't it. I remember talking about this with a work colleague who woke every day feeling positive and enthusiastic, oh great a new day I can't wait to get up and at it! I wake every morning and think oh dear God no no no no... I'm OK once I'm up though.

For taking it out on others, that's no good is it. Can you get everything ready the night before for Ds etc so there's less to do, make a family agreement when you're in a good mood that the morning is not the time to try to talk about anything important or that needs a decision or that is annoying or unnecessary. And in return you will try and be less snappy

LumionaMoonsplash Tue 29-Jul-14 08:36:52

When I struggle to wake up it usually means that I'm dehydrated. If I have a pint of water before bed, I wake up easier. Plus I need the loo so I have to get up.

MaidOfStars Tue 29-Jul-14 08:39:07

I'm guessing you don't want info on chronotypes, circadian rhythms and the owl/lark phenomenon.

In which case, I recommend a quiet cup of tea or coffee away from anyone else (I do it in bed, tea provided by husband).

charlietangoteakettlebarbeque Tue 29-Jul-14 08:39:40

My almost 2 year old usually gets up at around 6.30. You'd have thought after 2 years of early starts I'd be used to it.

I've asked dp to not speak to me but it's not really possible as we often need to talk about stuff, and I don't think it's reasonable to ask someone to do that somehow?

Orange juice and breakfast Al fresco are good ideas. I wish I could buck myself up, it's so pathetic.

Telling them both something I love about them is also a good idea, although reckon I'd struggle to think of anything in my morning angry mist.

If I set my alarm get up before anyone else then I'd get even less sleep which seems like a horrendous prospect. But I completely understand the logic behind it. Might give it a go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now