Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

what is your "go to" book?

(66 Posts)

The one you always go back and re-read, no matter how many times you've read it? Why?

Has it been made into a film? Did they do it justice and do you enjoy the film as much as the book?

Mine is life of pi

I must have read it over 100 times. I love how it can be read in different ways, I love that I read it different every time, I love how it leaves you with so many questions, I love how its about religion but also its not, I love how every person who I encourage to read it has different things to say about it and how we can have great discussions about it!

The film is great too, even though they missed bits of the book out, it still works and it doesn't feel like they've ruined the story by not including it.

HumblePieMonster Mon 28-Jul-14 23:50:31

Hermann Hesse 'Steppenwolf'. Read annually since 1974. Deeply loved.
Not sure about the film. It runs in my head, whether anyone made it or not.

Femshep Mon 28-Jul-14 23:57:45

Harry Potter. I'm 27 blush

Sparklypants Mon 28-Jul-14 23:59:18

Jane Eyre.

I love how I can read it (over and over)and it still feels relevant to me. I first read it when I was 16, I'm now (much) older and It is always my go-to book if I'm feeling down, bored, in-between books, ect.

It has everything. Romance, intrigue, horror, suspense. Not bad for a 160 odd year old book!

I've not really liked any of the film adaptations, they just don't do it justice.

(Also the prequel, written by Jean Rhys in the 70s (I think) called Wide Sargasso Sea is excellent...it gives a real insight into why Edward Rochester is the way he is in Jane Eyre)

GrouchyKiwi Tue 29-Jul-14 00:02:47

A Room With A View. I love everything about it.

And most Georgette Heyer.

Sparklypants Tue 29-Jul-14 00:03:07

Femshep, I also love a bit of HP smile

The Handmaid's Tale (Margaret Atwood)

Every time I read it, I get something more from it and the quotes frame my life!

Sparklypants Tue 29-Jul-14 00:04:16

The excorsist by peter Blatty is brilliant. Much much better than the film.

Happy36 Tue 29-Jul-14 00:05:58

The Catcher In The Rye

all of the Adrian Mole books (I know most of them by heart after so many re-readings!)

PPaka Tue 29-Jul-14 00:06:22

World Class- about tennis circuit, I first read it when I was about 10 and fell in love with one of the characters, actually most of them!

Due for a re-read actually

Whiskwarrior Tue 29-Jul-14 00:06:33

The Stand/IT - Stephen King
The Dark Is Rising - Susan Cooper
The Box of Delights - John Masefield
The Shannara Trilogy - Terry Brooks
To Kill A Mockingbird - Harper Lee

I have more but those are the first to spring to mind. Bloody love 'em!

Loveneverfails Tue 29-Jul-14 00:07:26

bible smile

Footle Tue 29-Jul-14 00:10:12

Cold Comfort Farm.

mentaldental22 Tue 29-Jul-14 00:12:47

Jemima J by Jane Green, I've been dipping in and out of it for 15 years and I still love it. It's outdated now but I still love the story of the chubby girl becoming slim. Apparently there's a sequel in the offing, looking forward to it.

Four Quartets and the Cantos and H. D.'s Trilogy, then Brother of the More Famous Jack.

I love it, it's just so comforting.

I also re-read children's books by Rosemary Sutcliffe, Cynthia Harnett and Lucy Boston over and over.

LadybirdsEverywhere Tue 29-Jul-14 00:13:31

Brideshead Revisited. Lord Marchmain's death is perversely comforting.

Allalonenow Tue 29-Jul-14 00:14:09

The Alexander Trilogy ~ Mary Renault

Any or all of the Aubrey/Maturin series depending how sorry for myself I am feeling!

RustyBear Tue 29-Jul-14 00:14:48

To Kill A Mockingbird - one of the very few books where the film is as good as the book. It was free on Kindle for a short while a few weeks ago, so I now have it on my iPad too.

Castlemilk Tue 29-Jul-14 00:15:39

Loads, including To Kill A Mockingbird- but my current 'oh I'll just read a few pages while I eat my toast' is Margaret Drabble's A Summer Bird-Cage.

FatewiththeLeadPiping Tue 29-Jul-14 00:16:41

Any thing by PG Wodehouse

CheerfulYank Tue 29-Jul-14 00:17:27

The Stand

Anne of Green Gables (cry at the same two parts too)

Object Lessons by Anna Quindlen. I don't know what it is about that book!

All of James Herriot.

Petallic Tue 29-Jul-14 00:22:50

Elizabeth hand / waking the moon. I've been rereading the same book for 20 years (not continually!) at least once a year and I still love it. I also like that it's a small dense book so it feels nice to read - it's a nice shape, if that makes sense.

Queenofknickers Tue 29-Jul-14 00:22:52

Harry Potter. I'm 39 blush

OscarWinningActress Tue 29-Jul-14 00:25:28

The Common Years by Jilly Cooper. I don't know why...I think I just like how she writes and observes the seasons.

YY to James Herriot. So sweet and gentle and uncomplicated. I also love the TV program of ACGAS and am currently watching all the episodes again for about the 4th time. Happy sigh.

JenniferClarissa Tue 29-Jul-14 00:27:53

The Sheltering Sky.

I saw the film before reading the book. It's coming on holiday with me again this summer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now