Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

what is so wrong with pink?!

(62 Posts)

Redecorating DDS bedroom. She's 2.5 and knows her colours.

I said to her dad we'll paint it pale pink as she's into princessy things atm.

He said he doesn't want to make her too girly hmm but agreed to ask her what colour she would like it.

She said yellow pink purple (in typical toddler fashion) but said pink when we told her to pick one.

He's huffed and puffed but quite frankly can fuck off the miserable git I'm paying for it and doing it, so has conceded.

But what's so wrong with pink? Now, this is pale, almost white, type pink we're talking here, not garish neon or anything, but he really gets on his high horse about her wearing pink clothes or liking pink stuff. I like the colour green, he likes purple, so why is pink an issue?

I know pink is "girly" and whatnot, but surely if she likes it, it doesn't matter?

When my nephew was about 5 he decided he liked pink, so my sister let him have his room pink. (A year later her decided yellow was better, and has had a variety of colours in his 20 years in that room!)

So what is wrong with it? Am I committing some ultimate sin that I don't know about? An arrestable offence? Do I need someone to call the authorities about my terrible colour decisions?!

I'm not the one who painted a bedroom bright orange either

silverten Mon 28-Jul-14 22:33:51

Nothing intrinsically wrong with pink. It's just shoved down little girl's throats as soon as they're born, which is rather limiting...

EatShitDerek Mon 28-Jul-14 22:34:41

Nothing. Its just a colour

TinTinsSexySister Mon 28-Jul-14 22:37:14

It's all that it stands for that's the problem

Softlysoftlycatchymonkey Mon 28-Jul-14 22:37:42

Nowt I love pale pink . Dd looks lovely pink but even lovely-er in blue. She has massive blue eyes that really stand out when she wears if.

Dd room s currently one wall full of butterflies the other three pale pink

WarblingOyster Mon 28-Jul-14 22:43:45

No, I love it.

She didn't have pink anything as a baby, everything was white or patterned or neutral colours.
She's only liked pink for maybe the last 6 months... Since she's been able to identify and say different colours, so its not like its been forced on her.

If we go clothes shopping, I encourage her to choose her own clothes (within reason) and quite often she will choose pink or blue

SiennaBlake Mon 28-Jul-14 22:47:22

Nothing wrong with it unless you get sucked into all that YOU ARE BRAINWASHING YOUR GIRL malarkey.

I had a pink bedroom and it was nice <day dreams> now im stuck with magnolia sad

NotCitrus Mon 28-Jul-14 22:49:32

Will she be happy if it's almost-white pink, or is she expecting that slightly-yellow Disney/plastic ubibquitous shade of pink?

I've tried to give dd clothes etc that are all different colours, so pink should be about 10% of them (red, blue, green, yellow, orange, purple, brown, black, white, pink, grey), but so many clothes have some pink added to them just to make it look more girly. She likes pink - and has various cool clothes with various shades of pink - but is miffed about the lack of pink dinosaurs. She also claims her green dungarees and Spiderman socks and Hello Kitty pink crocs are her "princess outfit"... Meanwhile Ds would like more sparkles. Why can't he have green and brown clothes with glitter?

Dd's room used to be ds's room. It's cream with one green wall. I'm not repainting it.

Pink is fine, practically compulsory pink isn't.

Lally112 Mon 28-Jul-14 22:51:23

Nothing, My girl who is 7 (and had most of her brothers green and cream hand me downs because I had him at 17 and her at 19) loves pink - its her favourite colour. And I get some shit for buying her it too.

Doubtfuldaphne Mon 28-Jul-14 22:52:11

When I was little my bedroom was frilly pink and silver. It was absolutely beautiful, I remember it even now. I don't see what's wrong with pink at all. It's pretty and feminine.

MrsKoala Mon 28-Jul-14 22:55:54

22mo DS's favourite colour is pink and we will paint his room pink if he asks for it.

I love pink too and so does my DH (he wears lots of pink shirts).

tethersend Mon 28-Jul-14 22:56:33

Pink is just a signifier- by banning it, you are reinforcing and perpetuating the gender divide it signifies.

It is what pink has come to signify which must be challenged- I think this is best done by encouraging boys to have it, not banning girls from doing so.

Banning something that is used as shorthand for female in our society can inadvertently communicate the message to girls that 'girly = weak, bad, to be avoided', and that 'male' pursuits are somehow more valuable, when the opposite is true.

AuntieStella Mon 28-Jul-14 22:57:46

A liking for pink is quite different from mass pinkification (which is often driven by marketing as buying the same thing in gendered colours, instead of one thing that can be handed down, is just more profit).

BiggerYellowTaxi Mon 28-Jul-14 22:59:22

I think her choosing pink is, well, her choice. It's only an issue if people default to pink for girls and blue for boys. I'm sick of seeing requests on Facebook selling pages for pushchairs suitable for a girl or a bathseat suitable for a boy - wtf, functionally these are completely gender neutral items for babies too young to have a preference. Sorry, that's not to do with you, OP. Tell your DH to calm down, if DD liked pink you can't force her not to, to do so would be saying that pink is bad because it is girly - nothing wrong with being a girl.

BiggerYellowTaxi Mon 28-Jul-14 23:00:20

tethers made the point so much better than I did.

RunAwayHome Mon 28-Jul-14 23:00:29

People seem to hate pink because it's too associated with girls who end up feeling restricted to only choosing pink/princessy etc.

I get where they're coming from, kind of, but at the same time, it bothers me that something that is so automatically associated with girliness is so despised, because it seems to be putting down those things often associated with girls and bigging up the things that are thought to be 'for boys', rather than suggesting that either/both types of traits/activities/etc are perfectly ok for either/both sexes.

crazykat Mon 28-Jul-14 23:01:34

I don't see anything wrong with pink, both my DDs love pink/sparkly/princess things as well as climbing, play fighting and dinosaurs. I think the problem comes when girls are dressed in pink/have pink rooms because that's 'what girls should have/like'.

My DDs share a room and it was bright pink till two years ago when they wanted purple and they're pestering for pink again. I'll put it back pink when I've got the time/money. No doubt it'll be shocking pink again which looked lovely against bright white woodwork.

If she wants pink let her have it. I'd also say if she wants Spider-Man or dinosaurs let her have it.

VashtaNerada Mon 28-Jul-14 23:03:06

A pink room is fine but just be warned that if she does start to think it's 'for girls' she'll also start to associate it with being passive, pretty, domestic etc (by picking up on how the colour's used by toy manufacturers and others). At 2.5 it feels like it will never happen, but they can be so easily influenced by media and marketing images as they get older. Just get ready to repeat the mantra "colours are for everyone!".

HortenMarket Mon 28-Jul-14 23:03:49

There is nothing wrong with it if your daughter likes that for her room colour. There is a problem when manufacturers make everything perceived for girls in that bright plastic pink and there is no other choice. That's limiting. My DD2 loves pink and her room is a tasteful shade of it. DD1 can't stand it and refuses to have anything pink. I've never commented either way in front of them.

wigglesrock Mon 28-Jul-14 23:04:12

Absolutely nothing, it's just a colour. I wear lots of pink, one of my daughters insists on wearing it, the other two not so much. My dad has numerous pink shirts, and some ties.

catkind Mon 28-Jul-14 23:04:14

Personally speaking I just don't like the colour. Prefer strong colours, or neutrals that can go with strong coloured highlights. I certainly wouldn't want a room in my house painted pink. Unless your husband never enters your daughter's room I think he's entitled to an opinion on its colour too. I feel it would be kinder to find a colour all the family like.

Not saying I'd never let my child have a pink room but they'd have to be very persuasive and it would take more than a whim of a toddler who'd be just as happy with a nice sunny yellow.

And then there's the politics of little girls and the pink cult, which I do think tends to foist stereotypes on them in a way I don't want for my kids. Pink as one colour of many, available to both boys and girls, fine. Princesses as one play option, fine. As long as my little girl knows she can be a princess one day, a tiger the next and a steam train for the weekend.

Only1scoop Mon 28-Jul-14 23:05:54

Nothing at all wrong with painting lite girls bedroom walls pink for goodness sake.

My dd is 4 she loves pink and fairy stuff.... she also loves pirates....and Batman....

Own mind own style wink

wafflyversatile Mon 28-Jul-14 23:06:47

There is nothing wrong with pink.

The question should be what is wrong with all the other million colours that everything has to be fucking pink. I completely understand your DH's antipathy.

Only1scoop Mon 28-Jul-14 23:07:08

Ps have a look at dulux Jasmine shimmer....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now