Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Why are cavachons, cockapoos, labradoodles etc. so expensive?

(150 Posts)
CeliaFate Mon 28-Jul-14 16:04:56

Can someone enlighten me? Aren't they <whispers> mongrels?

I can understand if the lines have been bred rigidly to get hypoallergenic coats, but to cost £500+ for any two breeds is a tad excessive isn't it?

Googles "doberhuahua" grin

Timeisawastin Tue 29-Jul-14 23:54:09

I'd like to see all puppies microchipped and tattooed with the NI number of their breeder. If they're ever homeless the breeder has to take them back or pay for their keep until they're rehomed. They bred them, they should take responsibility for them for the rest of their lives if need be.

clam Tue 29-Jul-14 22:55:09

Whilst I'm obviously a biased cockapoo fan, I do think it's only reasonable to point out that the non-shedding, low allergy coat cannot be guaranteed.
I too am allergic to all cats and a fair few dogs (can't go near my sister's lab) but my cockapoo has caused no problem to me, nor have any of his mates, and we seem to know many similar types. Dh's cousin came round a while ago though, and virtually had to be stretchered out, such was the asthma attack he suffered.

deste Tue 29-Jul-14 22:07:24

LJHH we too have a Cavachon, everyone knows him and asks what breed he is. He is definitely non allergenic as my DD and myself are allergic to dogs. He is lovely.

seagull70 Tue 29-Jul-14 21:38:23

She's 3 Cormorant grin

We also have another dog, larger cross breed who is quite a bit older. They are best friends, it's wonderful to see and we feel very lucky to have them both grin

Lol seagull, how old is she?

Upandatem Tue 29-Jul-14 21:24:25

Apricot cockapoo here, just gorgeous, cost a fortune but she's exactly what I imagined the shaggy dog we wanted to be. She hardly moults. S2 has asthma but his clinic told us dog allergies are pretty rare.

Cost is supply and demand, both parents are pedigrees and tested, hobbyist but professional breeder, our neighbour has just ordered one from the same place.

Also we wanted a dog from young, I think she was 14 weeks, so we knew her history and she could grow around our young DC and we could train her.

seagull70 Tue 29-Jul-14 21:06:01

We have a Cockapoo. She's more Poo than Cock though and there's absolutely nothing designer about her.

She's a scruffy, stinky, bonkers little dog who is the funniest and most affectionate creature I have ever met.

I sat and picked a slug out of her fur earlier and fucking love her to bits grin and we paid £750 for her

impatienceisavirtue Tue 29-Jul-14 17:42:56

needastrongone - honestly, I think puggles were originally bred that way because they look ridiculously cute. As I mentioned upthread, it can be disastrous and cruel when it's the wrong mix - enough pug that they have breathing and overheating difficulties with enough of a beagle's boundless energy. Puggles with more squished wrinkly pug noses seem to be more sought after but health wise the longer the better in this case. You wouldn't guess mine is half pug unless you were familiar with puggles, and we are most frequently asked if she's a lab. We got very very lucky and she has had thorough vet checks - he is very impressed with her and she's in great health, but careless breeding of them doesn't go well.

I've always had large dogs like Rottweilers etc. We have three young dcs though and one with allergies to some dogs. We wanted a smaller dog with a big dog personality - and we got that and a lot more we didn't bargain for.

Sorry then, I am probably being daft smile Understand how a cocker originated as a breed. But, the breed still has its roots in spaniel heritage, and was bred for a specific working purpose, i.e to flush out smaller game (which workers still do). I am not sure how that's relevant to breeding, say, a Pug and a Beagle (just an example, no specific negativity attached to this combination), who have vastly differing gene pools and were bred for very different reasons.

Nigella - I also love my cocker smile, and you put loads of time and effort into finding a responsible breeder, as you have into turning your pup into a well mannered, lovely adult.

Wholeheartedly agree with having far more control for breeding and for dog ownership, you are spot on sisters

Finding a reputable breeder. He's what happened with our cocker (although I could use our springer as an example too). Others will add more I guess.

I found our breeder on the Champdogs website, where you can only advertise KC registered litters, obviously from KC registered dogs! The mating had produced 2 additional pups than he was expecting, the other pups were already booked prior to even the bitch coming into season to working homes of friends as he's a full time gamekeeper. He was keeping a pup himself, which is another reason he bred in the first place. So, a specific reason(s) to breed.

All health tests were done, breeder owns both parents, who are field champions, hence the demand for pups from this mating.

I had a 45 minute interview via telephone and then was invited over to have another interview face to face and meet mum and pups. House and whelping area was spotless. The pups were being reared in the house, among household noises, smells and coming and goings etc. handled daily. They had a routine and were bold and curious and playful.

Mum of pups was the softest, most gentle lump of lard you could meet, as was the father when we met him too.

After this interview, we had to bring across our springer. As most of his pups were going into the field and from strong working lines, our breeder was conscious that the puppy we got may need a lot of stimulation and exercise, so wanted to see what the springer was like. So, we brought him over and we went out with his adult cockers.

He must have been happy as we were allowed a puppy!

Ddog2 collected at 8 weeks, breeder phoned the day after, then a few days after, then a week after. If for any reason we can no longer keep him, he goes back to them.

Reasonably the same type of thing for ddog1, except both our dogs also go to her if we go away too, which isn't a 'service' offered by ddog2's breeder.

Breeder did say that he had received 3 phone calls wanting a black working cocker puppy as Kate and William had one smile

NigellasGuest Tue 29-Jul-14 14:01:13

aha impatience - that was it, pug and beagle. I had never heard of such a thing but he definitely was a character! All black sounds lovely!

We have not had our cocker neutered yet, the vet told us to wait til he was at least a year old and to see how it goes. We did have to sign papers to say we would not breed from him though. I doubt said papers would prevent us if we really wanted to breed though? Having said that, breeding from him is the last thing I want to do! and he's barely in long trousers, the little mummy's boy

SquattingNeville Tue 29-Jul-14 13:54:25

I think word of mouth will go a long way in helping find out which breeders are better than others.

I absolutely think that the reintroduction of a dog license wouldn't be a bad thing.

CeliaFate Tue 29-Jul-14 13:22:56

How do you know if a breeder is reputable or not? There are breeders in our area that breed about 15 different types of dog - that, to me, is no better than a puppy farm.

But how do you know if someone is legitimate?

impatienceisavirtue Tue 29-Jul-14 13:06:44

Yeah we are getting ours spayed next month, I agree definitely with that.

Yes, sisters I would love to see that too. May I add all dogs not used for breeding should be neutered too. ducks from flying objects. Really really don't want to start a neutering debate just agreeing with you.

Sadly when there are people like this safepetsuk.wordpress.com/2012/03/17/crufts-2012-winner-lhasa-apso-zentarr-best-in-show/ you know there will never be regulations.

impatienceisavirtue Tue 29-Jul-14 12:53:27

nigella my dog is a puggle. It's a pug cross beagle. Mine is almost all beagle though stubborn as all hell and the only bit of pug in her you can see is she's not as big as a beagle and she's black.

StampyIsMyBoyfriend Tue 29-Jul-14 12:51:52

Our doodle was bred from a pedigree poodle dog, and a pedigree lab bitch, we met both, and we've had no health or temperament issues.

I agree that people are diluting the breed, by breeding cross x cross.

Also agree it's ridiculous when people claim these dogs are KC registered, we had friends who swore blind their cockapoo had KC papers.

flipflopsandcottonsocks Tue 29-Jul-14 12:25:10

Sisters- I don't think that is radical at all, I think it is hugely sensible. Unfortunately though I can't see it happening.

I'd also like the Kennel Club abolished- but I doubt that will be very popular!

SistersOfPercy Tue 29-Jul-14 12:11:29

My personal thoughts on dog breeding are probably a bit radical.

I'd like to see everything controlled. I'd like to see a complete end to hobby breeders and have all breeding completely regulated whether that be a pedigree poodle or a labradoodle.
I'd like all breeders to have to be listed and inspected.
I'd like to see a complete ban on breeding Staffies and their crosses until the population numbers have decreased. Rescues are heaving with them, they are being bred for fun in back yards and sold for beer money down the pub.
I'd like to see licensing reintroduced, a dedicated owner would have no qualms about paying to own a dog and this would weed out the 'image owners' who want a staffy or a malamute on the end of a lead for no other reason than to 'look tough'.

Of course regulating the above would probably be impossible but it's a nice dream.

Dogsmom Tue 29-Jul-14 11:58:06

I'm a dog groomer and see a lot of the bad side of the new designer mongrel fashion, the prices people are willing to pay has bought out the worst in some because they simply put their dog with the dog down the road, give it the cute name and people flock to buy them. Often the dogs they use are a poor example of the breed and the poor pups have a lifetime of ailments. I'd say that easily 75% of the ones I do have skin/eye or ear problems.

I know SOME do have the relevant tests for both parents but they are the minority, one customer had a cocker who had taken her to the local breeder for mating, it was clear she had PRA by simply looking at her (eye condition) and so the breeder obviously refused so the owner put her with her friends poodle who had heart problems, two of the puppies were stillborn and the gorgeous 2 year old pup of theirs I groom already has a heart murmur and her eyesight is poor.
That's just one example of many that I have seen, I've also lost count of the amount of poodle or bichon crosses that are rehomed when they turn out not to be non-shedding.

I don't care how much people choose to spend on their dogs but please, please ask to see proof that the parents are fit and healthy and come from a line of healthy dogs otherwise you are making the problem worse.

stripedtortoise Tue 29-Jul-14 11:50:14

Don't care much what people chose to spend their money on, but it does irk me when people SWEAR blind that these dogs are pedigrees now and the KC are registering them. No they aren't. they are lovely dogs and spend what you want but they aren't pedigrees.

We have pedigree dogs. we did pay a lot for them from accredited breeders whom we have known for years and ONLY breed a litter when they have homes lined up for them. Normally homes they have used before and can trust. I could have gone to a shelter, but I didn't want to and had the money, so it doesn't bother me when others do the same. We have it drummed into us all the time about 'dogs around children' so with little DCs I wanted to know the mum, the dad, know the pup from birth and bring them up myself.

flipflopsandcottonsocks Tue 29-Jul-14 11:26:30

I looooove cockers! I would have one now, but DH isn't so sure sad

I will win the battle one day though!

NigellasGuest Tue 29-Jul-14 11:24:25

I think we paid £750 for our pedigree Cocker Spaniel. He is absolutely fantastic. We travelled quite a way to find him. I knew I wanted a cocker spaniel, thanks to helpful advice from the doghouse on here, including from Needastrongone!

I was a bit embarrassed he cost that much, but at puppy class the owners of crossbreeds paid even more ......so after hearing that, I didn't feel so blush
One lady paid a fortune for a "puggle". Can't remember what it was exactly, but obviously half pug!

I would recommend a cocker spaniel to anyone. <irrelevant to thread>

flipflopsandcottonsocks Tue 29-Jul-14 11:19:03

I have witnessed a totally unprovoked attack by a german shepherd (that one was on my labradoodle), and the aftermath of an attack by a cairn terrier, a shitzhu, a collie, a poodle and a staffie, so therefore proving that any breed is capable of an unprovoked attack! (I don't just happen to hang around with aggressive dogs btw- I used to work with animals!)

With regards to your hypothetical question running- Dog A in that situation is more appealing to me, but i'm not sure I understand how the question relates to this discussion? My labradoodle has an amazing personality. I am not saying that staffies don't, but they are not exclusive!

SquattingNeville Tue 29-Jul-14 11:19:02

Based on hypotheticals, if the two dogs were from a rescue centre then I'd be looking based on breed initially, and then narrowing it down from there. If Dog B was a breed that ticked my boxes, then age and temperament would come into it. I wouldn't just think "ooh a Labrador/Dalmatian/whatever!" and take it. If buying a dog from a breeder, I wouldn't just be rocking up to the first breeder I found online and buying a puppy. I'd need to be happy with all sorts of things before I'd commit to buying a puppy (not least the parents temperament, the puppy's temperament so far, reviews of the breeder, health checks etc).

I think Husky type dogs are gorgeous, but I'd never dream of owning one because of some of their breed traits. Similarly, I think greyhounds, border collies, springer spaniels all look lovely, but I wouldn't have one.

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Tue 29-Jul-14 11:13:04

Ref the breeding of the cocker spaniel. I think that's a bit of a red herring

I was referring to the fact that my boy has the build and shape of a springer but is a registered cocker. Before the two breeds were distinguished it would have been a hard job to decide what he was from looking at him in the litter.

Springer spaniels were the bigger pups, cockers were the smaller pups. You could have both descriptions in the same litter. They were classed by size and there was no recognised breed until the Kennel Club specified it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now