Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Golden Underpants

(43 Posts)

I know this is weird but... my 3.3 year old has finally, finally, after many brief failed attempts, managed to ditch nappies over the weekend. Not perfect yet but this is the first time he's actually been on board with the idea and motivated to use potty/ toilet, and mostly managing to do so...

Anyway, he is a bit of a loopy little person, and has somehow got it into his head that he will be rewarded with a pair of Golden Underpants if he doesn't have any accidents... I can only think this is because he likes the book 'Sir Scallywag and The Golden Underpants', although its a bit of a stretch as that is nothing to do with potty training...

Eager to encourage him, given he is already 3, I was happy to go along with the Golden Underpants reward idea when he started talking about it yesterday... BUT

I have googled and searched Amazon and can not for the life of me source any age 3 golden boys pants grin

Have I promised something that does not exist on the internet planet? Will I have to attempt to buy golden fabric and sew some (can't sew, not a good plan)?

Can anyone tell me where I can buy normal toddler boy's pants, but in gold colour... Ideally on the internet, but UK (or German) highstreet store also OK...

Surely some other toddler has expected to be rewarded with Golden Underpants for being dry before? Or not...?

BathroomTiles Mon 28-Jul-14 09:21:21

Child's dance / gymnast shorts here [[ www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00HERBSOE/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1406535569&sr=1-2&pi=SX200_QL40 gold hotpants ]] looks like the smallest size is 5-6 though.

BathroomTiles Mon 28-Jul-14 09:22:05

Thanks Bathroom!

I think age 5-6 will be too big (especially, ironically, without a nappy underneath) but that gives me another search term/ direction to look in, rather than just looking for actual underpants, as it does only need to be one "reward" pair... Hadn't thought of that.

Shall look about for other gym shorts type things in a smaller size then!

Thank you!

Samedaydifferentusername Mon 28-Jul-14 09:30:36

This made me laugh, as someone potty training their child I completely get the 'promise anything, worry about it later' school of thought!

Could you fabric dye a pair if white ones and get him to wear his own pants underneath? Or you could sew some gold fabric onto a plain pair of pants?

PinkSquash Mon 28-Jul-14 09:32:06

I was going to suggest dying some plain pants, you could make a whole batch of them for him too

Hmmm... thanks Sameday and Pink... have just been looking up gold spandex fabric, and looked for dye but stumbled across fabric paint, maybe that will work, don't know if dye would really produce a convincing gold...

Can't believe I have devoted most of my child free morning to looking for small golden underpants, rather naively thought Amazon or suchlike would come up trumps with a finished article (Even browsed lots of small superhero costumes, but none seem to feature golden pants...)

Might be taking his big sister to help me search local shops for suitable fabric or fabric paint in a minute, and use whatever we find first...

His siblings were so easy to toilet train, and much younger - they both initiated it, couple of accidents, single smarties as motivators for a few days, then queitly forgotten about, done, didn't get what the fuss was about when people sighed over potty training, but DC3 has been emotionally attached to his nappies and not willing to give them up til now - previous attempts he has insisted he absolutely is NOT a big boy, and that he is a boy who wear nappies, and made no attempt to use the potty even when bribed... but this time he was willing and motivated, though who knows where the Golden Underpants idea had come from in his mysterious 3 year old mind...

losersaywhat Mon 28-Jul-14 09:57:28

www.thedyeshop.co.uk/acatalog/Fabric_Dyes.html

I was going to say dye them too. Cheaper and he can have loads of pairs. Ive never dyed anything so no idea how good it is.

FruVikingessOla Mon 28-Jul-14 09:58:42

Try looking for gold swimming trunks - although I've no idea whether they make them for 3 year olds.

traviata Mon 28-Jul-14 10:08:37

if bright orange will do, I got a 3 pack including orange from H&M recently

traviata Mon 28-Jul-14 10:13:33

Thanks FruViking - I did try golden swimming shorts but they seem to be an adult only thing, on Amazon at least (alarming thought) shock

traviata thanks for the tip! Unfortunately I think he's going to be disappointed if they are not gold, he is very into colours, in a way perhaps only a toddler can be...

Thanks for the link loser dye or fabric paint are looking the most likely solutions.

Going out now so won't be able to reply for a bit, but many thanks for the suggestions!

AuntieStella Mon 28-Jul-14 10:15:54

Are the Golden Underpants plain golden fabric?

Because if embellished, you could get orange (yellow, white) ones and gold braid to stitch on (or get local dry cleaners with on-site repairs service to do it)

HappyHippyChick Mon 28-Jul-14 10:16:39

These are available in gold.

Does it really have to be wearable ones. Could you not make a little underpants shaped trophy on a plinth and spray paint it gold for his achievement?

TonyThePony Mon 28-Jul-14 10:21:08

Have you looked for gold bikini bottoms? DD has a gold bikini from her mermaid obsession days.

traviata Mon 28-Jul-14 10:22:42

I think HappyHippyChick has it - detailed link

EvilHerbivore Mon 28-Jul-14 10:23:32

Would these do in any way?!

SingSongSlummy Mon 28-Jul-14 14:28:47

Can you spray paint a white pair? Not sure if the paint might be an irritant to the skin though...!

This is ehat we are currently going with (we being his 8 year old sister, who did the painting, and I). Fabric paint... satisfyingly gold but rather labour intensive. "Luckily" he had an accident at Kindergarten so doesn't need them today, as the paint isn't dry...

Tony that might have been perfect, but the gold is out if stock (its hard to tell on a screen if it is gold- enough grin )

Thanks for the dance shorts link hippy - have book marked as a back up!

Thanks everyone!

Homebird8 Tue 29-Jul-14 01:48:01

Can we know what he thinks when you unveil them please?

Oh, and had you thought that he might want to show everybody?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now