Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Just found that we've brought a lizard home from our holiday!

(69 Posts)
Primrose123 Sun 27-Jul-14 22:31:34

Got home today, and while we were unpacking, we found a gorgeous little lizard, about an inch long, in the suitcase. I'm not sure what to do with him. I would like to let him go outside, but I think it might not be the right environment for him and he would just get killed. I could take him to a reptile shop tomorrow, but I don't like the thought of putting him in a tank as a pet either. Any lizard experts out there?

I can't believe he survived the plane ride home. Doesn't it get really cold in the hold of an aeroplane?

Needadvice5 Sun 27-Jul-14 22:33:13

I would let the poor thing go and hope for the best, otherwise it will be kept in a tank :-(

CeliaBowen Sun 27-Jul-14 22:33:36

Where did he come from? I mean what country?
A reptile shop probably won't have him due to disease risk but your local zoo might be able to help.

Would a zoo take it?

RitaConnors Sun 27-Jul-14 22:34:08

Where did you go?

I would keep him in a tank until you can get him to a reptile shop. A warm tank. Maybe put a photo on here to see if anyone can recognise him. Well, not him personally!

jonicomelately Sun 27-Jul-14 22:34:39

Seriously, don't let him outside. There are all sorts of diseases he could pass on to other wildlife. Plus, yes, he wouldn't survive. Pop him into a plastic tub (with ventilatin) and ring HM customs for their advice.

OddBoots Sun 27-Jul-14 22:34:43

One here is being cared for by the RSPCA until they find a suitable place...

CeliaBowen Sun 27-Jul-14 22:34:57

Definitely don't let him go. Same applies to disease risk in the wild, unfortunately!

hoobypickypicky Sun 27-Jul-14 22:35:30

The RSPCA would probably be the people to call. They'll have contacts with zoos etc and will know where best to place him.

NoTeaForMe Sun 27-Jul-14 22:35:32

grin at someone recognising the lizard personally!

Depending on where you went on holiday I think I'd speak to a zoo, or google reptile houses near you?

FitzgeraldProtagonist Sun 27-Jul-14 22:36:47

Where from? I mean I don't know much about disease control but releasing non indigenous species into Eco system seems a bit careless. Call RSPCA

hoobypickypicky Sun 27-Jul-14 22:39:37

I've just found this, OP, could it help?

RSPCA Reptile Rescue

If not the main 0300 number would I'd imagine result in an inspector coming to collect and sort him (her?) grin out.

In fact, the main number might be a good start tonight. They would surely either advise you how to keep him overnight or send someone out asap.

hoobypickypicky Sun 27-Jul-14 22:46:18

Releasing non indigenous species without a license is illegal, according to the DEFRA report I've just Googled. Plus he'd never survive here, he'd be way outside his comfort and habitat zone if he's from another country.

<waits for OP to say she's been camping in Devon!>

RudyMentary Sun 27-Jul-14 22:49:15

Yes - post picture

I bet it's 'Dave'.

NatashaBee Sun 27-Jul-14 22:49:26

Whereabouts are you?

FatherSpodoKomodo Sun 27-Jul-14 22:50:40

Illegal immigrant!

Post a picture, I want to see this daring lizard.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Sun 27-Jul-14 22:51:55

Keep it warm and safe in a tub with some food (flies?) and ventilation and call the RSPCA.

Where's it come from?

CuttedUpPear Sun 27-Jul-14 22:56:30

I love lizards!

Fluffyears Sun 27-Jul-14 22:56:52

I worked for a major supermarket, twice we had reptiles come in with banana deliveries, RSPCA came and took them.

Poor thing won't survive if released into wild here. Are you sure it isn't dangerous at all. That was main reason we got RSPCA to catch the lizards as we couldn't be sure they didn't pose any risk to people.

NatashaBee Sun 27-Jul-14 22:59:17

For now I'd put him in a Tupperware box with holes drilled in the lid. Spray water in there so he can drink (depending on species he may not drink out a bowl). Put something like a toilet roll in there so he can hide. Put it somewhere warm, but not in direct sunlight.

Primrose123 Sun 27-Jul-14 23:15:29

Ok, I'll take all this on board.

To answer your questions, we've just come back from a very hot part of America, and we live in Wales, so a very different climate!

I'll try to post a picture.

DontPutMeDownForCardio Sun 27-Jul-14 23:23:46

Please don't let him go outside! !!

TheWorldAccordingToJC Sun 27-Jul-14 23:27:06

He'll be a little gecko

Primrose123 Sun 27-Jul-14 23:33:11

Here he is!

I'm only here to placemark because the app won't let me look at cute lizard pics.

Maybe see if you can find a knowledgable sounding reptile forum or a reptile rescue place for some advice for tonight (food/water etc?) and ring the RSPCA for someone to come and pick him up tomorrow. Hope Stowaway Steve isn't too traumatised.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now