Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Please watch this. Palestine related.

(145 Posts)
TheCunkOfPhilomena Sun 27-Jul-14 15:10:17

Please take a moment to watch this latest video from Jon Snow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR1LGoNg5p4

RandomDiva Sun 27-Jul-14 15:11:35

I just came on to post a link to it myself.

TheCunkOfPhilomena Sun 27-Jul-14 15:13:41

How strange!

I have read a lot of what has been written on MN about the ongoing atrocities but really want to have a thread about what we can do to stop ALL the deaths.

Instead of looking at what has happened, maybe we could talk about what we can do to help those not in a position to defend themselves?

Morethanalittlebitconfused Sun 27-Jul-14 15:17:58

Have you just posted about this on Facebook?

Sorry if you haven't! I've just literally had a friend put it up and it's a great piece of journalism.

What's the answer though?

RandomDiva Sun 27-Jul-14 15:21:28

Someone put it on my facebook feed too a few minutes ago. And I shared it. <looks neevously over shoulder>

ChairmanWow Sun 27-Jul-14 15:22:54

That monologue was moving. Jon Snow has been very brave in his reporting of this. I also read a blog post of his that had me in tears.

Stuff we can do:

1. Contact your MP to ask them to put pressure on the government to stop all arms exports to Israel and to start sanctions against Israel
2. Donate to Medical Aid for Palestinians - they have an emergency appeal.
3. Go to the next demonstration you can attend
4. Boycott all goods from Israel (bar codes start with 729).
5. Raise awareness - share stuff with your family and friends.

RandomDiva Sun 27-Jul-14 15:25:52

Yes, very brave. I thought broadcast journalists were supposed to remain neutral - more so than print journalists need to - but it is very moving.

TheCunkOfPhilomena Sun 27-Jul-14 15:30:30

Yes, I just posted to FB too.

TheCunkOfPhilomena Sun 27-Jul-14 15:32:08

ChairmanWow I also stated most of those options as to what we can do too....

its about time someone in the media or government said this someone with an audience. its a very moving piece, I shared it on Facebook yesterday as did some of my friends. the world needs to act to stop this, its nothing to do with religion or land we need to stop the deaths and the deaths and suffering of those in need on either side on conflict.

saadia Sun 27-Jul-14 15:42:56

One thing I found chilling was when he said that such a high proportion of the population is comprised of young people and children. What does that tell us? What has happened to all the 'grown-ups'? I am now seriously terrified that Israel will literally wipe out a nation.

TheCunkOfPhilomena Sun 27-Jul-14 15:57:40

This is a great lecture that proposes non violent resistance may actually work.

https://www.ted.com/talks/julia_bacha

halfdrunkcoffee Sun 27-Jul-14 16:06:15

Thanks for sharing it. It was a very moving and horrific video.
I have written to my MP and donated to MAP. It is just so depressing that the region is locked into a cycle of violence.

Morethanalittlebitconfused Sun 27-Jul-14 16:08:11

It's not just Israel wiping the adults out. Hamas is a political party founded in terrorism that strongly advocates suicide bombing.

AnyaKnowIt Sun 27-Jul-14 16:14:57

Nothing about hamas need to stop firing rocket then?

What other country on earth would expected to put up with thousands of rocket attacks?

Nah, as usual blame it all on Israel (and I'm not saying that the are blameless) there is fault on both sides.

Whoever said about boycotting Israel products, good luck with that!

TheCunkOfPhilomena Sun 27-Jul-14 16:15:55

Morethanalittle Please watch the second video I linked to. It would be great to list ideas about what we can do now to help find a solution rather than have arguments about who's to blame etc. I think most people have made their own minds up regarding this so now is the time to find ways to stop the killing.

VFXdad Sun 27-Jul-14 16:18:05

It's not just Israel wiping the adults out

Oh it is. And the children. It's massively disproportionate . There aren't words really to describe people's disgust.

The saddest thing is that the Jewish people having suffered so much themselves are now having to embrace the actions of Israel.

ZebraZeebra Sun 27-Jul-14 16:18:51

Also saw and shared this on my feed this morning. Have written to my local MP but feel so powerless. I don't even fully understand the war going back years but I do understand how Palestinian citizens are not protected and are suffering. It's just dreadful that this is happening in full view of the world.

Shia Sun 27-Jul-14 16:24:09

Joan Rivers not happy with the BBC

www.tmz.com/videos/0_1t3hcwj3/

I don't support either side. Both sides as bad as each other, it's just that Israel has claimed more victims.

TickledOnion Sun 27-Jul-14 16:28:56
Shia Sun 27-Jul-14 16:33:18

Thank you TickledOnion, a nice balance to the thread.

I'm amazed that a lot of people have blindly believed all of Jon Snows report.

TheCunkOfPhilomena Sun 27-Jul-14 16:35:45

I did Tickled, I also read the comments underneath.

I am a member of the PSC so have very definite opinions about the situation but what I am asking for with this thread is ideas of ways that we can stop the violence on both sides.

Having online debates about who's to blame doesn't get us anywhere. I think that the majority of us can say that we would like to see a solution though.

ChairmanWow Sun 27-Jul-14 17:10:16

I trust Snow as a journalist. Given most of the media is following the Zionist line that Palestinian=terrorist I find it quite refreshing. And, y'know, he's actually been there recently.

Some facts:

1. There are reports that Israel Defense Force soldiers use human shields

2. But BBC middle east correspondent Jeremy Bowen saw no evidence of Hamas using human shields despite repeated claims of such from Israel.

3. Israel has a sophisticated defence system that neutralises the vast majority of Hamas rockets (which I'm not condoning before anyone weighs in). Palestine has no defence system whatsoever. It also has no warships, F16s and no long-range missiles, unlike Israel which receives huge financing from the US and arms exports from the UK.

4. This current crisis has flattened 55% of the Gaza strip. In 3 weeks. Staggering.

5. The UN compound that was bombed a few days ago was clearly marked on the map and the UN gave coordinates to the IDF 3 times before it was bombed.

6. The UN believes Israel may have committed war crimes, as it did during its previous operations (Cast Lead and Pillar of Defense).

7. As of today 1051 Palestinians have been killed, the majority civilians and around 150 of them children. Compare that to under 30 Israeli deaths, all bar 3 of which were soldiers (again, I am not condoning this - the loss of lives on both sides is tragic).

8. Outside of this offensive Palestinians their freedom of movement restricted, their olive groves destroyed and their land seized

9. Thousands of Israelis have protested against their country's actions in Gaza

Keep describing it as a Hamas issue if you continue to blindly believe that but you are supporting a state which breaks international laws daily and has done for years. The rockets are not acceptable but in comparison the the horrors being inflicted on Gaza, well, it's a massive David and Goliath situation. The world is horrified by the actions of Israeli forces - know that.

TheCunkOfPhilomena Sun 27-Jul-14 21:21:47

Giving this a bump for the evening crowd.

Bump

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now