Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Pregnant and bleeding and have to wait until next week for a scan.

(113 Posts)
Muddledandunsure Sun 27-Jul-14 14:01:45

I'm 9 weeks pregnant and have started bleeding. I've got period pain like cramps as well.

I rang my hospital out of hours number and they told me I will have to wait until some time next week for a scan. They don't scan on weekends apparently.

I don't know how I'm going to wait until then to know.

Sixpencenonethericher Sun 27-Jul-14 14:14:29

Oh no poor you you must be so worried
Fingers crossed for you xx

ROARmeow Sun 27-Jul-14 14:17:37

Would they scan you if you arrived at A&E? Surely they would?

It might be bad news, but on the other hand it might not.

With my first pregnancy I bled for a full week (red blood) at 13 weeks. Pregnancy continued fine and my 4 year old son is sitting in front of me now smile No one was sure what caused the bleeding, but it worked out okay.

Is there anyone in real life you can get support from? Your DP?

Sending you a hand to hold, hope all is well with you soon.

Muddledandunsure Sun 27-Jul-14 14:23:54

She said if the blood is so heavy it soaks a pad in an hour or if the pains are not eased by paracetamol to call back. I don't know if a&e would see me.

My Dp is here, currently trying to empty the paddling pool.

The nurse told me to rest. I've got to do my accounts for tax credits and time is running out.

MassaAttack Sun 27-Jul-14 14:25:16

Have a look here op. At many assessment units you can self-refer.

I know you're terribly worried, but bleeding in early pregnancy is very common cake

Muddledandunsure Sun 27-Jul-14 14:30:25

I've got an appointment for a scan Tuesday morning. That's ages away.

fledtoscotland Sun 27-Jul-14 14:32:20

Not sure where you are OP but it's the norm here for scans only to be available mon-fri 9-5. I had a bleed at 22wks with ds2. Seen in the ward and tracing done but no scan til next afternoon. Certainly none of the A&E units would be able to scan you. Sorry thanks

ROARmeow Sun 27-Jul-14 14:32:29

It's really not ages away, but I can understand how you're so fretful that you just want a scan now.

Try to follow their advice to sit easy until the appt. Whatever happens will happen with or without a scan.

Keep us updated please.

CrispyFB Sun 27-Jul-14 14:37:56

Depending on the A&E, they could well just send you away with a referral for a scan at the next available slot in the EPU. Which would be what you already have. That's what happened with me at the A&Es I've been to. However some do have ultrasound machines there.

Can you get a private scan today? Lots of places will do them with no notice, although you can expect to pay £60-£100 depending on location.

For what it's worth, bleeding around this time is actually very common because it's when your period might normally be due. Your hormones still try to cycle in the early months before the placenta takes over, so you might get a harmless half-hearted period attempt. Or it could be a subchorionic haemorrhage which are also usually harmless most of the time.

Basically yes, it could be bad news (I hope not!) but there are lots of harmless things it could be too. Good luck!

Muddledandunsure Sun 27-Jul-14 15:06:47

I've looked at private scans and the earliest I can book is tomorrow and it's £100.

I'm trying to keep hopeful but I can't help worry.

Morethanalittlebitconfused Sun 27-Jul-14 15:10:05

I was in your position this time last year and it happened on a Friday night. I rocked up to EPU at 7am on Monday morning (oddly enough another MNetter who is a regular and not long had the baby they were there to have scanned) turned up as I left.

Get there early tomorrow morning. Park your arse and insist on being seen.

It's a crying shame EPUs don't have people scanning round the clock but that's budgets for you.

Hand holding for happy news

Muddledandunsure Sun 27-Jul-14 15:19:25

The bleeding so slowed down now but the pain is worse.

Morethanalittlebitconfused Sun 27-Jul-14 15:21:54

You can still go down and get seen they will be able to do an internal examination to see if your cervix is still closed

HilariousInHindsight Sun 27-Jul-14 15:28:13

More is right .
They'll be able to examine your cervix.
If the pain is really bad is phone up again.

HilariousInHindsight Sun 27-Jul-14 15:29:30

More is right .
They'll be able to examine your cervix.
If the pain is really bad i'd phone up again.

angelohsodelight Sun 27-Jul-14 15:40:17

Why don't you just go to a&e if you are that concerned?

Muddledandunsure Sun 27-Jul-14 15:44:56

Because I phoned them and they told me they won't do anything and I have to wait for a scan.

angelohsodelight Sun 27-Jul-14 15:47:47

If you turn up crying and in pain surely they can't refuse to see you! Could you get your dh to be forceful with a&e, act like the overbearing parent in order to be seen? I think I would just go to be honest.

MrsPixieMoo Sun 27-Jul-14 15:53:47

I've had recurrent miscarriages and my experience in various A and Es out of hours has not been good. Usually there's a huge wait, none have scanned out of hours and although I've been examined on a Friday night and had a closed cervix that meant nothing as on the following Monday a scan showed a missed miscarriage. If A and E have said there's nothing they can do, I'd spare yourself a miserable journey and long wait with no answers and hang in there until Tuesday. It's really hard but you're more comfortable waiting at home. Good luck x

MassaAttack Sun 27-Jul-14 15:59:07

My local EPAU allows you to self refer, but scanning hours are limited. Unless you're talking about an emergency (namely an ectopic) there's little point in scanning out of hours.

I know it's hideous, Op. I've been there sad

Morethanalittlebitconfused Sun 27-Jul-14 16:02:01

I agree with mrspixiemoo and I also speak from experience. The only thing really you can do is relax for now and go down early tomorrow and insist on being scanned then rather than Tuesday. It's going to be a horrendous couple of days for you but the only people who can help are EPU and today all they can do is tell if your cervix is closed or open.

If you don't fancy going down and waiting ring them in the morning and say the pain has got worse and you really need to see someone.

As a warning with EPU you may have to wait if the dr is on delivery suite managing a difficult labour

callamia Sun 27-Jul-14 16:04:41

I had a weekend wait too. I did go to A&E in the Friday (after EPU had closed), and they checked for ectopic/infection etc. but if there's no emergency, then there is nothing that can be done - so the waiting it out is kind of all there is. I know it's horrible and anxious, I don't think I slept all weekend. I wish you well.

Bogeyface Sun 27-Jul-14 16:09:13

I had this and its horrible. The sad fact is that although it a horrendous situation, its not a medical emergency. When I finally got my scan everything was fine despite bleeding loads and being in pain, so keeping everything crossed for you x

Pico2 Sun 27-Jul-14 16:10:17

Is there something that they might be able to do, based on scan results?

angelohsodelight Sun 27-Jul-14 16:24:13

That's just awful. I hope all goes well for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now