Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

So I just spotted Peppa pig, daddy pig, George and mummy pig strolling down the road, I resisted the urge to knoc them all flying but they did get me thinking.......

(19 Posts)
HairOnMyChinnyChinChin Sun 27-Jul-14 11:10:44

It's absolutely boiling outside, what's it like in those costumes ?? Is it special, lightweight material ?? Has anyone ever passed out ?? And, do they stink ??

Were they on their way to the Test Match? confused

HairOnMyChinnyChinChin Sun 27-Jul-14 11:20:20

You can hire characters here to deliver presents on birthdays or whatever, particularly popular at Easter and christmas when they bring eggs or Christmas eve hampers.

I'm guessing it's some kids birthday, you'd have to pay me damn good money to go out triple wrapped in this heat tho, even i've got me ankles out !!

So someone has booked an entire entourage of porcine characters for their little treasure?

What strange behaviour. What happens if said child has a dreadful phobia of silent adults wearing grotesque giant foam pig costumes? If I had been approached by one of those Disney travesties as a child, I would have run for the hills.

shock

I saw Titan the Robot in a city centre a few years ago; a small boy he approached ran screaming off up the street, away from the safe sanctuary of his parents. grin

ShadowFall Sun 27-Jul-14 11:42:59

I always think that people dressed in those giant cartoon character outfits look a bit sinister.

They're way too big for starters. Obviously, nothing to be done about that until someone invents a shrinking ray, but still.

HairOnMyChinnyChinChin Sun 27-Jul-14 11:57:21

We love Titan, talc !!

From what I know present deliveries arent that expensive, something like �10 per character I think. I always think the 'not quite official' characters look a bit naff tbh but each to their own.

Sirzy Sun 27-Jul-14 11:59:33

I have dressed in a character suit for a few hours. Was horrendous. Never again.

Hair - I'm still trying to work out now how Titan really works. He was utterly spellbinding.

NinjaLeprechaun Sun 27-Jul-14 12:06:55

Some of those costumes - the ones at Disney or professional sports mascots, for instance - actually have built in cooling systems.

If they don't, I've been reliably informed, they can be rather horrible. I seem to recall an incident with a school mascot passing out from heat at some event I attended many years ago. It was in the 35C range outside the suit at the time, I can't even imagine.

Sirzy Sun 27-Jul-14 12:10:42

Your not supposed to spend more than 30 mins at a time in the big ones

TouchPauseEngage Sun 27-Jul-14 12:11:06

When I worked for a charity I regularly had to do stints dressed as their mascot. It was hotter than hell. Once I had to go in the suit at short notice wearing jeans- after 15 minutes I could ring the sweat out.

They stink. And the only way to survive more than 20 mins is be pretty much naked. Imagine being naked in a big duvet soaked in other peoples sweat. Mmmmm.

ballsballsballs Sun 27-Jul-14 12:23:54

Touch another charity costume survivor here. It smelled like a sweaty jockstrap, I had no peripheral vision and was hotter than Hades. I nearly passed out in an office because someone wanted a bloody film of the costume for her DN... And I'm claustrophobic, so that half an hour went very bloody slowly.

PureMorning Sun 27-Jul-14 12:27:45

I saw SuperTed in sainsburys in reading.

I was in the line behind him and the costume fucking stank. I was heaving

HairOnMyChinnyChinChin Sun 27-Jul-14 21:29:32

Oh, I love super Ted.

VinegarHair Sun 27-Jul-14 21:55:54

I worked for local radio in my younger days and did a roadshow on the hottest day of the year. I, and a few others (we did hourly shifts, a couple each) had to dress up in the mascot costume, which was very very heavily padded and covered in thick fake fur.

You wear only your undies in them, or you die! And the sweat pours off you and soaks into the padding. It's unbearably hot, and wet, and slimey. Then you go to the change station, whip it off (with the assistance of the next sap) and stand there in your undies drinking a lot of water. The sweat in the costume, meanwhile, cools - so the next person climbs in wearing just their underwear, into cold, manky sweat-soaked nastiness.

Had a lot of fun though!

VinegarHair Sun 27-Jul-14 21:57:18

touch didn't read your post originally, but yup!!!

DD used to work in a soft play centre. She had to take turns with her colleagues and dress up in a furry monkey suit and bring out the cake at birthday parties. She hated weather like this - the costume was usually damp inside. <vom>

Letitsnow9 Sun 27-Jul-14 22:42:29

I've worn the Peppa costume, it's not light weight and it's not cool! Think tight sweat inducing fabric and that's before you put on the Peppa dress, shoes and head! Very limited vision too, I wouldn't go for a stroll in it especially without a guide!

Letitsnow9 Sun 27-Jul-14 22:44:11

But the sweaty under costume does stop you making the dress wet and we wash it after every use and air the rest out!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now