Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Headache and vomiting, any advice?

(105 Posts)
Nirvana1979 Sat 26-Jul-14 21:25:25

My dd (7) woke up last Friday with a headache and shortly after started being sick. She was in tears with the headache and unable to keep medicine/fluids down. She was sick until tea time them perked up right as rain. She was fine all day Saturday but exactly the same on Sunday morning with headache/vomiting. No temperature or stomach ache.

I called nhs24 on the Sunday and advised to take her to out of hours. She was checked over by the doctor whom really didn't know what to advise. She seemed to pluck an ear infection out of the air and sent us home with antibiotics (5 day course)

The course finished yesterday and dd in the last hour has thrown up again and complaining of sore head again.

Sorry it's longer than I thought but sitting here on my tod mind running away. Any suggestions or advice greatly received. Would you call nhs24 again? I've given nurofen/calpol and anti sickness tablets the doc prescribed last week.

mumof5plusazoo Sat 26-Jul-14 21:32:19

My eldest dd gets like this when she has had too much sun and or heat.
I can be sick when I have a migrane.

I hope she feels better soon

HettyD Sat 26-Jul-14 21:32:35

Definitely call again and be prepared to go to out of hours...I wouldn't leave that til Monday, hope they feel better soon.

chinamoon Sat 26-Jul-14 21:35:44

Has she been out in the sun a lot? Could be sunstroke, though with that, as well as headache and vomiting you often get the shivers and feel freezing.
I'd nag for more investigations if you're not happy. Did they check for meningitis? Does she feel dizzy? (labyrinthitis possible) Does she have a temperature?

Blondieminx Sat 26-Jul-14 21:38:42

Ok, so from your posts:

- Your DD has had vomiting & headache on and off for a week
- She has taken the drugs given by OOH doc and symptoms remain unchanged

If it were me, I would be taking her to A&E. They will not mind checking her over given the history you have given here x

Nirvana1979 Sat 26-Jul-14 21:40:46

She has been in the sun the past week but not excessively and factor 50 and well covered. Also coming in during hottest part if the day.

No temperature at all or shivers. Only symptoms are the headache and sickness. She started complaining of the headache after running about and skipping with her rope. She says when she jumps her head hurts. Then the sickness started again.

Nirvana1979 Sat 26-Jul-14 21:42:10

X post Blondie. Yes I think you're right.

Thanks

AnotherStitchInTime Sat 26-Jul-14 22:02:28

Could be vertigo which has multiple causes and will need investigation. A&E is the best place as I don't think you should wait to see GP.

Nirvana1979 Sat 26-Jul-14 22:05:27

Just heading off, poor thing had fallen asleep.

A&E on a Saturday night, wish me luck!

Blondieminx Sat 26-Jul-14 23:49:38

Good luck & I hope your DD is ok.

My DB started getting this at about the same age.

Bad migraine, he'd lie in the dark for a couple of hours, throw up, feel better. Some weeks it happened most days and then wouldn't happen again for months. We lived in hot countries as kids so could well have been heat related.

He's 20 now and probably still gets it once a year or so. It was definitely worse when he was a child, less severe during puberty and once we were back in the UK.

I know that's not particularly helpful but thought I would share in case it sounds familiar.

Good luck at A and E by the way. thanks

Nirvana1979 Sun 27-Jul-14 00:09:41

Thanks, still sitting waiting to be seen. It's very busy.

I mentioned Migraine to the doctor at ooh last week and she looked at me like I had 3 heads. I suffer from migraine myself and it had crossed my mind.

It does sound very much like migraine. Perking up after a few hours and then it happening again the next day.
I could never keep painkillers down at this age. I used to get more relief from a cold compress.
Hope she feels better soon.

Oh, I'm a fool. I didn't even mention the outcome. He had an MRI and doc said just prone to migraine.

Let us know how it goes OP thanks

WaveorCheer Sun 27-Jul-14 02:57:34

Headache and nausea/vomiting is how my migraines started at age nine.

However, I completely agree that it's worth checking out as it's also how I presented with meningitis as a teenager. I'd be concerned about the symptoms easing with antibiotics and then restarting after the course was finished. I had something similar as I happened to be on antibiotics for something else at the time, and they sufficiently dampened down my symptoms to confuse the diagnosis. Could have been dangerous.

CharlieSierra Sun 27-Jul-14 09:32:50

How have you got on OP? The history you described with the morning headache/vomiting was somewhat concerning. I hope you got a thorough exam by experienced doctors.

Nirvana1979 Sun 27-Jul-14 13:38:44

Thanks for replies. Still in hospital, dd is a bit better. Managed to keep paracetamol down. Still waiting on the doctor coming round but the doctor we seen last night seemed to think migraine but suggested further tests today at some point. Forgot how much waiting around was involved in hospital. Feeling quite worried but glad I came last night.

AnotherStitchInTime Sun 27-Jul-14 21:56:32

Glad she is OK and they are investigating. Not much gets done on Sundays in hospital, more staff in the week so hopefully if you haven't been seen today then tomorrow the doctors will be on the case.

TheCunkOfPhilomena Sun 27-Jul-14 22:06:12

I hope they've managed to find some medication to help her Nirvana. I'm another poster that was thinking migraine from your OP.

Iownathreeinchferrari Sun 27-Jul-14 22:51:12

I'm really glad she's being checked over

Nirvana1979 Sun 27-Jul-14 23:49:33

Don't seem to be any further forward. Spent the majority of the day waiting as predicted. Some checks were done that have been done about 20 times. Temp/look in ears and eyes etc. I'm sure dd was about to be discharged until she vomited again. Hopefully tomorrow will bring some answers.

Thanks for replying.

Pancakeflipper Mon 28-Jul-14 00:10:08

Hope the morning brings some answers for you and DD. Poor thing.

And hope you get some rest.

Nirvana1979 Mon 28-Jul-14 00:22:04

Thank you. So hard trying to sleep, it's so warm and noisy.

BOFster Mon 28-Jul-14 00:27:42

I really feel for you- all the waiting just heightens your anxiety, and you're hot and tired and longing to get back home...awful. Keep posting if it helps- I'm up for a bit yet. FWIW, my dd1 started getting migraine at that age, with exactly those symptoms.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now