Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Anyone up for sharing great places for day out at a reasonable price?

(132 Posts)
MrsWinnibago Fri 25-Jul-14 21:26:21

Like the Christmas thread sort of where people can share days out which don't cost the earth.

If people know of special offers etc then they could add those too!

I'm adding the place we're going this weekend as I'm happy to have found somewhere under 50 quid for a family of four!

We're going to Monkey Forest at Trentham Gardens which is North West.

It's 7.50 for adults and 5.50 for DC aged 3-14. There's a park with Barbary Macaque monkeys roaming free as well as two adventure playgrounds.

It's next to or part of Trentham Gardens which has Italian Gardens, Lake and Aerial Extreme...some sort of zip wire thing...and a retail village. You can buy a ticket for both places for a bit cheaper I think.

Anyway...any more? grin

Dancingqueen17 Fri 25-Jul-14 22:28:14

Moors valley at Ringwood, just pay for parking. Fantastic woodland trails, cycle paths, massive play trail, adventure play grounds, train. Plenty of space for picnicing. Just a good outdoor day out where kids can just be kids!

alabasterangel Fri 25-Jul-14 22:55:54

Hi op, just wanted to say.....( and sorry for derailing) that the monkeys are okay, but all it really is is a walk with monkeys (all the same species of course) which you see as you are walking. You are not allowed to be too near them and are told to steer clear and not to jump about, be wild, run, etc as it might send them nuts. You can also walk, FREE, to the monument at the back of the monkey park and we have seen several dozen monkeys doing this as the walk boundary is against the edge of the enclosure. I'm sure you'll enjoy it, but just don't be expecting monkey miracles as I've taken people who have been a bit dissapointed by the lack of 'exciting' monkey stuff....

On the other hand, trentham gardens is fabulous, you could spend a whole day in there (we've managed three whole days this week but live here) with so much for children to do; brilliant playground, barefoot walk, fountains, gardens, lake walk, picnic areas, boat trip, pony rides, deck chairs....its lovely. Plus if grab one of the freebie newspapers on the way in there is 10% off voucher.....

Shops are lethal. Avoid unless flush ( lovely lovely one off shops, check out Yellowstone for local graduate artist work and really good prices).....

Coconutty Fri 25-Jul-14 22:58:58

Hmm, I would do the free walk and save your fifty quid OP after reading the last posters post.

MrsWinnibago Sat 26-Jul-14 09:13:13

Thanks for the monument tip Alabaster so how long does the monkey walk take? Should we do that and then go to Trentham gardens? Will definitely check out Yellowstone! Coco it's not fifty quid!

Spottybra Sat 26-Jul-14 09:15:59

Yorkshire Sculpture Park.

Admittedly I haven't been yet. It's lined up for next week with a friend.

Spottybra Sat 26-Jul-14 09:17:36

Oh, brimham rocks nr Ripon, north yorks. Brilliant. Pay for car parking, take a picnic and enjoy climbing the rocks. As long as little ones can climb up a slide in the park there's generally climbing/walking for all ages.

Middleagedmotheroftwo Sat 26-Jul-14 09:26:32

The best free days out are a day on the beach or a picnic in the countryside. When they were little my DDs would happily spend all day, every day on the beach.

Admiraltea Sat 26-Jul-14 09:32:48

Yorkshire Sculpture Park gets my vote too....wonderful day out...only pay for parking.

You'll love it Spottybra..(make sure you go in the deershelter is not what you might expect!)

todayiamfat Sat 26-Jul-14 09:35:02

Actually, OP, I really enjoyed the monkey park grin. There are 'keepers' in there feeding them etc. They often come right up to you. I don't thinkit was that expensive. I think we took about 45-1hr to walk around slowly.

iklboo Sat 26-Jul-14 09:43:10

We like the monkey park too. Just wondering what people who were disappointed at lack of 'exciting' stuff were expecting the monkeys to do? grin

Maize mazes are usually good fun & not massively expensive & farm days.

foxdongle Sat 26-Jul-14 09:47:37

We're going to the monkey forest, we've been before and DC really liked it. Didn't know about the aerial thing, so might have a look at that.
Surely the money you pay goes for the monkeys to be looked after so not bothered about that.

My DC have got Blue Peter badges so get in loads of places free all over the U.K. They sent in some art work, it took a few months, so perhaps a bit late for this year.
It as saved us an absolute fortune-(they have had them for 6 years and last until they are 16) we go to Alton Towers a few times a year for example as well as other places.

There's loads of places not far from us where you just need car park/ice-cream money;
Dovedale, Chatsworth river, Tissington, Black Rocks, Matlock Bath, Cromford canal, Goyt valley, Derwent dams, Bakewell park, Carsington reservoir, Foremark reservoir, Tideswell, Eyam and tons more.

MrsWinnibago Sat 26-Jul-14 09:48:15

iklboo lol. My sister went and loved it....it's obviously a simple day out...monkeys wandering free is a nice thing to see.

silverten Sat 26-Jul-14 10:42:45

I give you Stewart Park and the Captain Cook Birthplace Museum in Marton, Middlesborough.

The park is free (loads of lovely walking, fab playground, and interesting animals to see (llamas, goats, chickens...). The museum is mega cheap (£4 for a years ticket for a family of four!) and really very good. The cafe is excellent and also very cheap (we treated ourselves to lunch there as the museum was so cheap and our lunch cost £15 for three of us (the baby doesn't eat much!))

You don't even have to pay to park.

iklboo Sat 26-Jul-14 10:47:04

We had some very....erm....frisky monkeys when we went. Plus lots of really young ones that were so cute!! I'd recommend a picnic rather than the cafe (they make you check it in at the gate so you don't get attacked feed the monkeys).

InElectricDreams Sat 26-Jul-14 11:01:39

Cheshire Ice Cream Farm. Can't link cos on my phone but easily Googleable. Free to get in, they have farm animals you can see and pet, outdoor playground, games room thingy for older kids (haven't tried this; there's a charge but you can go in and out at will then) indoor soft play which is 3.50 and again, once paid you can go in and out all day. Cafe is middling, however the ice cream servery is amazing! Small kids only need one scoop - have seen many staggering under the weight of two..

StillWishihadabs Mon 28-Jul-14 11:15:08

The Olympic park free and fantastic. The swimming pool is ace.

Curlyweasel Mon 28-Jul-14 11:51:29

Matlock Bath is a family favourite. Very quaint/different. It's like a seaside town, but in land. Visit the Aquarium - don't be put off by its outward appearance. There are the cable cars up to the Heights of Abraham too (it's lovely up there and lots to do). Relatively inexpensive day out for the family.

The Strand at Gillingham in Kent is pretty good. Free parking, big sandpit, two adventure playgrounds, a Cafe, a mini train (small charge) and a mendering river type Lido (there is a charge for this however)

You can also walk along the front to the country park next door to it (approx 1 mile) or take the car if you prefer.

Take a picnic and it is virtually a free day.

OnIlkleyMoorBahTwat Mon 28-Jul-14 12:20:37

Whatever you do, I would always say take a picnic/packed lunch/drinks whenever you can manage it, even if it means buying cool boxes etc.

Bought food when out is almost always very expensive and poor quality - this will be where one of the biggest savings will be and can make the difference between a cheap and expensive day out - not so long ago one poster mentioned spending nearly �30 on lunch for 2 adults and a small child at legoland for example.

Liney15 Mon 28-Jul-14 12:21:48

National Coal mining museum near Wakefield which doesn't cost anything to go in - very interesting museum plus activities for children in the afternoon (last week clay pot making) and talks' from character's from 1930s/40s which were good too. Plus if children are over 5 then you can go down the mine as well.

Also Shorne Country Park - Cafe, trim trail, adventure playground, lakes, Geocaching, cycle paths, fishing, orienteering and a family fun trail where you follow the clues, complete the task and get a prize at the end.

Parking 2.50, take a picnic though as the eco cafe can be a bit pricey.

Just off the A2, about 10 minutes from the M25. You can even take the dog. smile

izzieph Mon 28-Jul-14 14:22:34

I love the Victoria park in widnis it is AMAZING and it is free. They have water play area (step on the floor sensor and the fountains turn on, and you run around and get soaked) and I think 2 big normal parks. There's lots to walk around and see. And I THINK there is a butterfly house there

Also we like shirdly park st helens it's got a little zoo and huge sand pit and lots to play on and areas to picnic.

Great budworth ice cream farm (search on book of faces) have a maze which is a fraction of the price of normal mazes. The owners are amazing and kind and always happy to see people

Keep an eye kn Knowsley safari parks facebook site as they did a half price annual membership last yr. We got a yrs pass for £55 when a day pass is £44

allmycats Mon 28-Jul-14 14:26:03

Another here for the Yorkshire Sculpture Park - and not expensive because they charge per car - not person.
It is suitable for all age groups and not just for 'arty' types. Loads of space to run, play, hide, climb and have picnics.

High Lodge, nr Thetford. Loads of play areas, bike trails - £11 parking for the day - a bargain if you fill the car!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now