Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

So… I rescued an old photo album .Anyone (UK) want to see if they can identify any places?

(292 Posts)
alltoomuchrightnow Fri 25-Jul-14 21:04:40

I'll put just a few up to start.
Wouldn't it be lovely if, for example, a MNetter recognised their own home! All these years on.
I don't really know what to do with the album so am keeping it intact for now . Even if someone else wanted to throw away memories, I feel I can't! what a hoarder
I have NO idea who this belonged to.
I rescued it from a bin.
Have always loved looking at old photos and worked in photographics myself for years. But I love seeing old buildings, fashions etc too.
I hardly watch tv or films , old photos are fascinating to me! before I'm accused of having too much time on my hands
If you recognise any of the scenery, please let me know! in the book they seem to go in time order from early 40s to late 50s but not all are dated so it could start with 1930s

alltoomuchrightnow Fri 25-Jul-14 21:06:26

And any ideas of what to do with it.
Not worth selling as not worth anything to anyone.
Was thinking of cutting it up e.g. for collage /decoupage or other crafty type things but then i think, no! I can't cut it up! but then again.. it was unwanted!

NickNacks Fri 25-Jul-14 21:10:19

Give it to an old people's home?

LEMmingaround Fri 25-Jul-14 21:11:15

I think a collage would be a great idea

alltoomuchrightnow Fri 25-Jul-14 21:12:03

This one for starters. Cookham bookshop. Cookham in Berkshire?
Google image don't show any photos of this shop

TurboWithAKick Fri 25-Jul-14 21:12:06

Roughly where is it from?

TurboWithAKick Fri 25-Jul-14 21:12:24

X post

Rosa Fri 25-Jul-14 21:14:12

Post some more could be fun trying to identify places... Where did you find it ?

Itsfab Fri 25-Jul-14 21:15:54

Please don't cut it up, it might have been binned by mistake and even if someone didn't want it a relative might.

alltoomuchrightnow Fri 25-Jul-14 21:16:16

wonder if this still stands

alltoomuchrightnow Fri 25-Jul-14 21:20:30

ahh ok not allowed to post more than six a day (images) sigh..,. will be back tomorrow! (had already posted some on another post)

TurboWithAKick Fri 25-Jul-14 21:21:16

Awww

There's a windmill road in cookham

alltoomuchrightnow Fri 25-Jul-14 21:21:44

well , here's hoping. would be lovely if power of MN could find a relative. One photo does have (first)names on.

GoEasyPudding Fri 25-Jul-14 21:22:26

I love old photos. I would have saved this too and I would keep it with a note of where and when it was found. Just so my family don't get confused when I am gone thinking this is their family history!

Orangeanddemons Fri 25-Jul-14 21:23:00

Isn't there a Cookham in Norfolk somewhere? Doesn't Norfolk have windmills? < disclaimer I have been to Norfolk only twice>

sinisterfish Fri 25-Jul-14 21:23:18

does cookham have a facebook page? someone there may know who it belongs to!

306235388 Fri 25-Jul-14 21:24:01

Try here OP

Cookham

alltoomuchrightnow Fri 25-Jul-14 21:24:15

BTW < I explained v badly,
No one connected to this album binned it.
It came to a charity shop I was managing. I had a team of elderly volunteers who were ruthless ('who'd want that old tat?') I was always hauling things out of rags and bin and telling them off.
After a very rare day off I came back to find this in bin. It wasn't an item we could sell..but I couldnt bear seeing it binned..so I took it home. It was only recently I found it.. I'd forgotten all about it for a couple of years.
It could have been donated to charity by mistake or on purpose. (e.g. loft or house clearance? we got a lot of those)

alltoomuchrightnow Fri 25-Jul-14 21:25:17

hmm you see all this intrigues me.. it's like putting together pieces of a puzzle. I can only post 6 images a day so it will be in dribs and drabs. there are also photos of soldiers and scenery abroad but most i think is UK

Shia Fri 25-Jul-14 21:26:25

Can you get them uploaded on here

www.francisfrith.com

They have a share your memories

alltoomuchrightnow Fri 25-Jul-14 21:26:30

I think the windmill is at seaside

alltoomuchrightnow Fri 25-Jul-14 21:27:08

if people are really interested, i could post all the photos given time and interest.. there are babies in the book.. would be amazing if one was a Mnetter now

Can you scan the pics into a photobucket thingie then lnk to it? (Techno thicko)

Shia Fri 25-Jul-14 21:27:11
alltoomuchrightnow Fri 25-Jul-14 21:27:39

there are some actual house ones so who knows

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now