Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

What job couldn't you do?

(221 Posts)
inabranstonpickle Wed 23-Jul-14 11:52:39

I just couldn't work in an abattoir or slaughter house or even butchers. I would find it horrendous. I hate even driving past one.

I don't think I could work in a funeral directors either; it would be so upsetting.

I think I'd want to jump off a cliff after a day of it, but I suppose I could work in a call centre. I'd hate it, though.

Is there anything you just couldn't bring yourself to do?

gamerchick Wed 23-Jul-14 11:56:05

Work in a call centre grin I can't stand talking on the phone to people I know never mind strangers.

The funeral trade I could quite happily... I toyed with it for a while.

I would love to work in retail (I know, most people who do would say Noooooo ) but I couldn't work in the Primark in Lakeside, it's like a tropical hothouse.

I couldn't be a midwife, nothing against the blood'n'fluids but the screaming.............sad

bayrans Wed 23-Jul-14 11:57:59

I couldn't do a 9-5 office based job.

I'm happy with 12hour day and night shifts, honest!

Chottie Wed 23-Jul-14 12:01:36

I couldn't be an astronaut, deep sea diver, coal miner or submariner.

I could work in a funeral parlour or assist during an operation though.

Squitten Wed 23-Jul-14 12:02:10

Couldn't be a doctor/nurse. Couldn't stand injecting people, dealing with physical problems and all the bodily "stuff". I'm way too squeamish!

flatmouse Wed 23-Jul-14 12:03:42

I couldn't be a teacher (of any age) - no patience!

Flappingandflying Wed 23-Jul-14 12:03:48

Couldn't do anything involving eyes as I think yuck and am very very squeemish. Wouldn't particularly want to be a midwife. Nothing to do with feet - yuck. Bodies I could probably manage.

I couldn't be a scaffolder or tree surgeon because not good at heights.

Most of all I couldn't be the police people that deal with child abuse and have to trawl through images. I don't know what that would do to your mind and I admire people that somehow have this skill to shut off.

I couldn't be in the police. I wouldn't have the patience to deal with dickheads all day. Also, they get so much abuse even from people they're trying to help.

KingJoffreysBloodshotEye Wed 23-Jul-14 12:03:58

Anything in an office.

They look grey. Might have to use a dirty phone. Swively chairs look dangerous. Filing cabinets are really sinister. I'd have to wear proper shoes. I'd get paper cuts. Don't know how to load a stapler. Biscuits are probably really dull. Would get a bad chest from the dusty fake plants.

Etc.

RobinHumphries Wed 23-Jul-14 12:07:30

Couldn't do anything to do with the feet or be a gastoenterologist

Wishfulmakeupping Wed 23-Jul-14 12:10:30

Nurse or doctor- the blood and gore.
Vet- as above and I'm not an animal person
Teacher- I did it as work experience and does not appeal to me at all

PlumBear Wed 23-Jul-14 12:13:31

I couldn't work in palliative care, but take my hat off to all who do.

SignYourName Wed 23-Jul-14 12:16:33

Scenes of Crime Officer. I knew a couple when I worked for the CPS. My job involved viewing the photos that they took, including murder victims in situ etc, and I coped with those okay but it's the smells I couldn't deal with.

BackforGood Wed 23-Jul-14 12:16:42

Chiropodist - feet are yukky

MrsMonkeyBear Wed 23-Jul-14 12:17:32

I couldn't do a job which risked someone puking on/near me. Rules out all emergency services, theme park worker etc

I would love to be an entomologist, but hate centipedes and millipedes.

Robin I am (and have been for 26 years) an NHS Podiatrist/Chiropodist.
Tomorrow I am having a coloscopy and endoscopy.

D'you think they'll say "Couldn't do your job" as they shove the 'scope in ? grin grin <<ouch>>

I'm with you op not being able to work in an abattoir, the distress and smells urgh.

Couldn't do telesales or door-to-door sales either, I'd find that totally soul-destroying. I'd hate to be a tv presenter or being in front of a camera, I'd hate everyone looking at me.

Most other things I think I'd be fine with, even cleaning toilets or street sweeping if it meant being able to feed my kids.

Dream job is woodsman, or failing that a professional beach bum grin

foxdongle Wed 23-Jul-14 12:37:18

I couldn't work in an old peoples home- too depressing

agree with op - no slaughter house/butchery type jobs

no office jobs - yawn.

I would love to be a writer, travel agent or work with animals in a conservation type way. and would love to give the scene of crime officer a go.

queenpea Wed 23-Jul-14 12:37:29

Anything 'formal' which requires a trouser suit and heels.

Production line. Anything repetitive would send me mentally unwell I think.

hollyisalovelyname Wed 23-Jul-14 12:41:48

Pest eliminator. I just couldn't do it.

Ooh yes fox agree with you re crime scene officer. Bet it's not nearly as interesting as they make out on CSI not that I watch too much telly or anything grin

MummyBeerest Wed 23-Jul-14 12:43:40

Dentist-people's teeth freak me out.

Teacher-Holy hell, no. No patience.

Accountant-My clients would be broke.

ExcuseTypos Wed 23-Jul-14 12:44:28

Nurse, dr, butcher- basically anything involving body parts!

I admire those who can do it.

chockbic Wed 23-Jul-14 12:44:45

Anything involving shit. Or hair.

Hairy shit grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now