Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Aargh the NHS are still demonising saturated fats and promoting low fat diets!

(176 Posts)
RiffyWammal Tue 22-Jul-14 18:51:10

Why are they still so behind with their dietary advice? It's patently clear that it is SUGAR that is causing the obesity epidemic, that low fat diets usually don't work, that saturated fat doesn't cause heart disease and that industrialised vegetable oils are more unhealthy than natural fats. Foods containing saturated fats (and protein) are more satiating than low fat food so you're less likely to keep eating; carbs like potatoes, pasta and sweetened low fat foods have the opposite effect by putting you on a blood sugar roller coaster that makes you hungry again soon after eating them!

I was in a NHS hospital today and there were two posters in the corridor promoting healthy eating. Both said that saturated fats are bad for you and advising that you eat vegetable oils and low fat foods instead. This makes me so angry, and sad for the overweight people who might read this advice and try to follow it - only to probably fail because they're not eating food that will satisfy them or will taste nice. sad

The only reason I didn't deface the posters was I didn't have a pen. I might take a big red Sharpie with me next time! grin

Some links if anyone wants to read more:

www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/mar/23/should-i-go-back-to-saturated-fats
www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2695030/I-wrong-feasting-FAT-says-The-Fast-Diet-author-DR-MICHAEL-MOSLEY.html

Nomama Tue 22-Jul-14 18:58:28

That's a great concatenation of 2 thoughts.

Other fats are available!

It is true, saturated fats are the least healthy. And it is protein that has the highest satiation factor - meat or plant based.

As for the Michael Mosley factor - and I say this as an intermittent faster who has lost 3 stone slowly and easily (but prior to his telly programme or books) - it doesn't mean that saturated fats do not have the propensity to wreak more havoc. Low fat is utter hooey, reducing saturated fat is not. But mostly it is all in the calories!

Re-read the last couple of paragraphs....

RiffyWammal Tue 22-Jul-14 19:18:39

Why are saturated fats the least healthy? I understand that trans fats and processed polyunsaturated fats are the most unhealthy.

Yes it's all basically calories; but if you're just eating stuff that soon makes you more hungry then you're more likely to want to eat more and to not do so then takes tremendous willpower, especially when you feel you're depriving yourself by eating dry tasteless chicken breasts etc. If people cut sugar and ate fat in the form of meat and so on they would feel satisfied and be more likely to stick to the diet long term and lose weight, I think.

Viviennemary Tue 22-Jul-14 19:24:56

I agree they have lost the plot. And it's all driven by low fat products I was disgusted at the promotion of products done by weightwatchers and slimming world. It's all about one thing and that's money. I agree sugar is the culprit not fat.

Sleepytea Tue 22-Jul-14 19:32:17

I don't think it's that simple. I think for a proportion of people, a high fat diets is unhealthy so we had the campaign in the 70s to eat lower fat diets. However, since then the food industry have worked this to their advantage creating low fat foods with high sugar content which obviously isn't a healthy diet.
For me personally, I think we should try and stick to natural foods so we tend not to eat processed foods. When I buy processed food, I try and ensure that there is no trans-fatty acids and no glucose-fructose syrup.

Imliketotallyummm Tue 22-Jul-14 19:32:33

I can't believe they are still pushing the low fat diet too.

I found Zoe Harcombe's research very interesting. She believes that it's not necessarily a case of counting calories. It's more about the combination of carbs and fat causing us to put on weight.

lowcarbforthewin Tue 22-Jul-14 19:35:12

It makes me furious too. I followed it for years, and felt wretched (and looked dreadful). My life and health would be different if I had known the truth. It really makes my mind boggle; there's my massive obesity epidemic. When the NHS really feels the full effect of that it's going to be catastrophic. And yet the advice given out is only exacerbating the problem. They're just announced people with a BMi over 30 might be eligible for gastric bands and I want to bash their heads together. Fat = satiety.

Low fat is bad, we're better off buying the real stuff and enjoying them;

Eggs
Butter
Cheese.

Just not every day and avoid carbs, they're a twat.

Bin carbs, true fact.

Darkesteyes Tue 22-Jul-14 20:14:34

I go to SW and they kept telling us to eat mullerlight yoghurts because they are "low syn" I disagreed and I dropped them.
And the week I ate full fat Greek yoghurt (just as a topping on some blueberries I lost 3 pounds)

sainsburys low fat greek yoghurt is 12 g sugar per 100g
their full fat greek yoghurt is 5g of sugar per 100g.

RiffyWammal Tue 22-Jul-14 21:27:17

Saturated fat has just harmed me after all. I've really burned my arm on hot coconut oil while frying a steak sad

lowcarbforthewin I followed the low fat life for years too, Rosemary bloody Conley was my leader. I never lost much weight or if I did it soon went back on, I was constantly hungry, and I'm sure it caused my gallstones and contributed to my MS (brains are 60% fat).

Now I eat lots of vegetables (apart from white potatoes), non-low-fat meat (steaks, pork belly, fried liver, chicken legs with skin etc), oily fish, fruit and nuts. I fry in coconut oil or lard. I'm never hungry, I feel happier and think more positively, have tons of energy and have lost over two stone. I really think I won't go back to my old way of eating again because the old beige sugary stuff just doesn't appeal now - I enjoy my new food too much!

expatinscotland Tue 22-Jul-14 21:28:14

They are also promoting artificial sweeteners that are known neurotoxins.

DrJuno Tue 22-Jul-14 21:30:15

Eh what? Low fat is bad??

I missed that memo.

God it's all so confusing!

thecageisfull Tue 22-Jul-14 21:32:22

dc's have brought all kinds of nonsense home from school in change for life leaflets. Artificial sweeteners and marge are promoted.

ThatBloodyWoman Tue 22-Jul-14 21:34:30

I think certain fats, processed foods, sugar, and refined carbs are bad for you.

I aim for as unprocessed and as plant based as possible, choosing vegetables over fruit, extra virgin olive oil over vegetable oil.

DrinkFeckArseGirls Tue 22-Jul-14 21:34:38

Argh, it gets my goat they are still peddling out this shit.

DrinkFeckArseGirls Tue 22-Jul-14 21:35:25

Change fir life is so offensive and actually harmful

Mintyy Tue 22-Jul-14 21:36:25

Carbs and sugar are not making us fat, we are just eating too much of them and not moving.

Completely agree that current NHS dietary advice is bonkers, but a high fat and high protein diet which bans fruit is not proven in the long term to be healthy.

Until then I will watch this space.

EverythingCounts Tue 22-Jul-14 21:45:22

I am reluctant to say sugar is the only culprit, but I am annoyed at how low fat products are now being recommended for kids. DS only has whole milk but I know plenty of his friends have skimmed, plus low fat yogurts etc. Plus you have to be Inspector Morse to find full fat yogurts in the supermarket! The range has really shrunk .

sebsmummy1 Tue 22-Jul-14 21:47:54

Darkesteyes that is do interesting re. SW as I have followed the diet and plateaued for three weeks. This week I have upped the protein, swapped low fat products for high fat ones and added nuts and seeds and 3 pounds have disappeared!!!

DrJuno Tue 22-Jul-14 21:51:06

The problem I found with SW is that they sell low fat but don't bother what other crap is in the products they are recommending.

For instance, jelly rammed with sugar, Splenda sweetener and loads of convenience food packed with chemicals.

You might lose weight but it can't be healthy.

Fav Tue 22-Jul-14 21:52:40

Carbs and sugar are making us fat, as they make us crave more carbs and sugar.

Much as I love the NHS, they are in the pay of the companies who benefit from us eating low fat and high carb, it is in the drug companies' best interests to keep us on low fat/high carb, as that way more of their drugs are sold.
Isn't change4life now in partnership with Nestlé?

Coumarin Tue 22-Jul-14 21:54:20

According to my sister, gps are now recommending fasting for three days then eating for two?

Surely she's wrong. All my instincts say that's the wrong way to lose weight. How on earth could you sustain that for the rest of your life for a start.

But she, or the other three nodding in agreement, wouldn't listen. Despite all of them yo yo dieting for years so I left it. If Doctors are saying these things are right then people will believe it's right.

Coumarin Tue 22-Jul-14 21:55:12

Appalling grammar there. Apologies.

Mintyy Tue 22-Jul-14 21:58:18

I'm not convinced by that argument Fav as I was around in the 60s and 70s when carbs and sugar were not demons and we generally were not fat. It is all to do with quanitity, frequency and lack of exercise.

BridgettRousselot Tue 22-Jul-14 21:58:27

I have changed my diet recently, to restricting carbs until later in the day, it is helping. I am eating a lot of protein for lunch and I agree with OP, I am not feeling hungry as a result.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now