Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Glasgow is amazing today!

(76 Posts)
DesmondIsMyConstant Tue 22-Jul-14 18:33:09

Yeah there's some traffic problems etc but the city centre is buzzing. It's busy, it's sunny and there is a really good vibe about the place.

Even the buskers seem of a better standard! wink

Going to the opening ceremony tomorrow and can't wait! smile

thefirstmrsrochester Tue 22-Jul-14 18:42:36

grin
It's going to be great, isn't it?
The cycling time trials come through our village and I've seen some of the teams out doing a recce last night! Was jumping with joy.
I don't have tickets for the opening ceremony but will be at Glasgow Green soaking up the atmostphere grin grin grin
Excited and very proud Glaswegian, moi?

dickiedavisthunderthighs Tue 22-Jul-14 18:47:32

I've always fancied a trip to Glasgow and now I've seen all the coverage plus some really fab articles in the weekend travel sections have decided to book a long weekend smile

DesmondIsMyConstant Tue 22-Jul-14 19:15:13

Yeah, I'm really excited for it all to begin!

Glasgow Green will be great tomorrow night, there will be an amazing atmosphere, I'm going there to see the closing ceremony.

Exciting that you'll be able to see the cyclists going past. grin

Oh when are you coming for your long weekend Dickie? I don't think you'll be disappointed! Hopefully you'll be able to enjoy some sunshine!

TheFantasticMrsFox Tue 22-Jul-14 19:20:55

<sob>
I have tickets for the hockey on Friday but won't be going as they were the only ones we were allocated (after recklessly applying for about £500 worth) and we live on the south coast sad
Mind you, at least the suns out here smile

DesmondIsMyConstant Tue 22-Jul-14 19:58:08

Oh no, that's a pity. Have you been able to sell them on at least?

Yes, at least you have sun, that makes everything seem a bit better!smile

Am so excited! grin

I have seen the baton 5x!

roughtyping Tue 22-Jul-14 20:18:27

We were down at Botanics and west end today, it was really quiet! Amazing how much a difference the sun makes smile

AmIthatHot Tue 22-Jul-14 20:20:22

I was at the first dress rehearsal for the Opening Ceremony on Saturday. It was pissing down with rain, but the crowd loooooooved it.

You will all enjoy the ceremony, definitely worth watching

RJnomore Tue 22-Jul-14 20:20:33

Ooh I'm hoping it's a nice day Saturday, me and dd2 are heading up for a pootle round the live zones.

My friend ran with the baton <proud>

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 22-Jul-14 20:22:16

It was absolutely mobbed in town today. Loads of people queuing for tickets in George Square. Am volunteering at games and was actually quite excited at seeing real athletes!

I know its cheesy, but I really am quite ridiculously proud of my city...

thefirstmrsrochester Tue 22-Jul-14 20:29:06

My aunt is one of the dancers in the opening ceremony. She is of bus pass age. Wave to my aunt Jill tomorrow won't you. Ridiculously proud grin

SantanaLopez Tue 22-Jul-14 20:32:05

The sun is just the cherry on the cake, and the city has been spruced up beautifully!

AmIthatHot Tue 22-Jul-14 20:32:18

Itsallgoingtobefine where are you based?

squoosh Tue 22-Jul-14 20:32:59

Can't wait to see the Scottish athletes outfits tomorrow in all their glory.

Anyone been doing the Clyde trail? Clyde is a great mascot - kids love him!

RJ - do you know if there is a list somewhere of stuff you can see/events without tickets?

We were at the ticketed party t Victoria Park last night - was fantastic and all free!

BlueThursday Tue 22-Jul-14 20:38:40

That band at the Hard Rock Cafe were a bit lively. I did get a little annoyed when people just came to a halt blocking the street

Pregnant lady hormones don't do hot days and crowds well!

WildThong Tue 22-Jul-14 20:38:50

Aaagh, the trains were off at Central, it was roasting and it was mobbed....won't you think of the poor office workers angry ( My face) was like a tomato by the time I ran down Union St and caught a bus instead AND it had its heating on!
<curmudgeon>

squoosh Tue 22-Jul-14 20:41:17

What happened to the trains? That's a bit of a pain.

MrsHende Tue 22-Jul-14 20:41:47

I was at the baton relay today and had a great time!

I was wondering too if there is a list of free things to do? I'm planning to watch the cycling road race but are there things on at Glasgow Green everyday that you can just drop into?

We're going up this weekend to visit PIL, can't wait! Getting through town to get our train back Sunday morning should be fun as apparently the marathon is on, oops! grin

SantanaLopez Tue 22-Jul-14 20:43:44

What happened with the trains? My DH was miserable today too though.

BlueThursday Tue 22-Jul-14 20:43:47

I'd imagine there's nothing to stop spectators for the marathon and road cycling?

Sqoosh it was a signal failure - came at the worst time of the day

Summerholsfun Tue 22-Jul-14 20:45:25

We are coming up at the end of the week for nearly two weeks, can't wait!! Any tips?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now