Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Is it possible to just be 'big boned'?

(69 Posts)
Inselaffe Tue 22-Jul-14 12:39:43

Genuine question. Browsing MN in my lunch break and the myfitnesspal threads (have recently restarted to lose some weight and to motivate myself to get fitter - less worried about the food aspect but I like seeing how much extra cake I can have if I got to the gym completely misses the point grin)

I was a fat child (11 stone aged 14) and DM always consoled me with 'you're big boned'. However the older I get the more convinced I am that I'm unusually heavy for my frame - I'm just under 5'3" and at my very lightest, when I had an eating disorder and you could see my bones, I weighed just under 9 stone. Now I weigh 10 stone and reckon that my healthy weight is probably around 9 1/2 stone. People are often surprised at my weight and see me as 'slim' so I don't think it shows - I'm a size 10 mostly.

A lot of the women on the MFP thread were trying to lose a stone and were the same height as me but weigh less than I do now.

I'm now wondering whether 'big bones' is actually a real thing? I thought it was a lie made up to console fat children confused Are there other people out there who find the same thing? It can't be muscle mass as I don't have any!

eurochick Tue 22-Jul-14 12:41:55

You can definitely have a large frame. My handspan and wrists are as large as my husband's! I just try to make sure I don't carry too much chub on top of them.

wubwubwub Tue 22-Jul-14 12:41:58

Not 'big boned See this search result GOogle Search fo Big Boned X-Ray

BUT, it is possible to be naturally chubbier/fat - I know a girl who is 17, is fit as a butcher's dog, plays for hockey teams, badminton etc, looks overweight and will always be that way.

wubwubwub Tue 22-Jul-14 12:42:35

And you can be wide framed and be much stickier - but no real thing as 'big bones'

Perfectlypurple Tue 22-Jul-14 12:43:11

I think people hold weight differently. I am overweight but I weigh more than you would think to look at me. I wouldn't worry about what other people weigh. You are a size 10 and if you are happy with that it doesn't really matter what the scales say.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Tue 22-Jul-14 12:44:30

My skeleton definetly weighs more than other peoples. I have been rake thin, with size eight clothes loose on me and 5'2 and still never under 9stone. I am now a size twelve, and just so heavy!

tmae Tue 22-Jul-14 12:49:23

When my youngest sister was about 5 she looked half the size of other children and was about twice as heavy, people would go to pick her up and be really shocked at the effort required and we'd pick up her friends and they would nearly fly over our shoulders because we expected them to weigh more than her!

She is incredibly strong, abnormally strong! She has always been slim but incredibly muscular. When she was around 4 and I was around 16 we went to a science museum and I tried to pull a weighted rope and it took a lot of energy, she then came over and was able to just pull it with ease, I've never really lived it down!

CoolCat2014 Tue 22-Jul-14 12:49:24

Yes totally. I'm very similar to you in that I was always chubby as a kid (though I don't think chubbiness is excused by big bones. I then had a major eating disorder (BMI of 14, but I look anorexic from the low end of normal weight). I'm 5'10 but if I get to the middle part of healthy weight I look too skinny. I look much better with a bit of extra weight from what the recommendations say (the difference in boobs helps), and DH agrees.

I have a big frame - my shoulders ribs and hips are larger than some others, and I know ladies who are 5'10 who are very slight and whose shoulders are way smaller than mine. I'm not worried, I think how your body looks & feels is more important than size or weight. You know if you've got too many rolls around your midriff, and that's more indicative of health than weight alone IMO.

lurkingfromhome Tue 22-Jul-14 12:51:02

I've often pondered this kind of thing - how some women can be a size 10 at the same weight as I would be a size 14. I'm 5 ft 7 and really really struggle to get below 10 stone 3 - it's a weight where I look ok, am size 12 and am pretty happy with the way I look; to get below that I would really need to go some as the weight just does not want to come off. My BF, on the other hand, is exactly the same height but at 10 st 3 she feels pretty flabby - her fighting weight would be 9.5 stone or so. I think we all carry weight differently.

scandip Tue 22-Jul-14 12:52:18

I think so. I am just under 9 stone and am five foot 2. I look a teeny bit chubby.

ChunkyPickle Tue 22-Jul-14 12:55:39

People definitely carry weight differently - somewhere there's a website with pics of people with their height and weight and different people at the same heights and weights can look radically different.

I know that people are always surprised at how much DS1 weighs (he's not even slightly chubby, but feels really heavy) and I'm always shocked at how light my nephew is (looks totally normal, but is light as a feather)

Dwerf Tue 22-Jul-14 12:56:35

I have a large frame, I'm not tall but I am wide. Even when I was rake thin as a teenager I had wide hips and shoulders. And a wide chest.

My daughter and granddaughter are the same, not even chubby, but weigh heavy.

Mordirig Tue 22-Jul-14 13:00:06

It's your frame, it effects how you carry weight.
I have broad shoulders, wide hips and large (size8/9) feet since I was about 13.
Even when I was underweight I didn't look very sick just skinny dispite needing to be hospitalised.
I am 5ft6 and at 9 1/2 stone I was a 10/12.
I am now more than double that weight at because I am broad people even my GP didn't believe I was the weight I said as it is almost evenly spread so looks in proportion.
I would be happy to get down to a size 14/16 as I think it is realistic.

goodasitgets Tue 22-Jul-14 13:00:20

Definitely you can have a larger frame - I have huge shoulders!
I think you can be dense if that makes sense, I weigh a lot but don't look like it, but I do have a lot of muscle on places like my thighs and big boobs
Crap photo but I'm probably 15 stone ish on this one
instagram.com/p/jv7XCNNdzt/

PoppyAmex Tue 22-Jul-14 13:01:03

I've been pondering about bone density/weight lately.

Both my children (2yo and 8mo) are in the 98% since birth; they're both ridiculously tall, VERY heavy but look super lean and you can see their ribs.

And yet, it's like carrying two ginormous sacks of potatoes.

Where does it all go? confused

jasmine1979 Tue 22-Jul-14 13:05:29

This website is quite good at showing just how much people can vary in shape despite being the same weight and height. www.mybodygallery.com/

There's another even better site somewhere, but I can't for the life of me remember what it is called. smile

Can definitely have a larger frame. I am 5'9" and at one point weighed 3 stone less than my sister who was a clothes size smaller. She was overweight but a totally different build to me although the same height.
She can be a size 10 I look skinny at a size 12 and can't ever get into a size 10 even at my skinniest. I have wider hips, broader shoulders and a larger rib cage.

Madcatgirl Tue 22-Jul-14 13:09:57

My sons are the same poppy. Ds1 is 5st 9! He's 8! To look at him though there nothing there and we always have to have a belt on him or adjustable waists or his trousers are round his ankles!

He's very broad through across his shoulders, like me and dh and tall, but not massively so.

People definitely do carry weight differently.

I'm 5'8" and 13st, but a very definite 12.

BiggerYellowTaxi Tue 22-Jul-14 13:12:28

goodasitgets I'm built a lot like you! I'm 5'7" and 5 years ago I was a 12, sometimes 10 in tops at 11.5 stone. I did a lot of weight training though so was quite muscley and compact. On way back there now smile

SageYourResoluteOracle Tue 22-Jul-14 13:19:23

Goodasitgets- your figure's gorgeous. If I could be as toned as you then I'd be very happy even if my weight didn't drop much.

OP - I'm 5'6 and am a 14/16. I weigh over 14 stone which I hate but I don't look that big. I have huge hands and even when I was a svelte size 12 (probably a size 11!) I just couldn't get below 11 stone.

Openup41 Tue 22-Jul-14 13:26:17

I know of women who have never been slim as children or adults. They have a larger frame. In general I find these women are more likely to struggle losing or maintaining their weight.

I have a slim frame and when I put on weight it is distributed evenly across my body. I fluctuate between a size 10 and 12 depending on the shop.

Boudica1990 Tue 22-Jul-14 13:27:15

Im 5 ft 2 a size 10 and I weigh about 10stone at a size 10!

My bones are not bigger, I don't have a large frame however what I do have is heavy bones, my bone density is pretty big, I also carry muscle from various sports.

I'm currently pregnant and in size 12/14 jeans so not huge my baby is not huge he is average, but I weigh a whopping 90kg!! They think I've passed on my bone density to bump because his bones always take the sonogropher by suprise they are bulky bones.

Some people just weigh more.

INeedSomeHelp Tue 22-Jul-14 13:35:52

One of my friends posted that x-ray thing on Facebook a while ago and it really annoyed me. Yes, some people use "big boned" as an excuse but everyone's frame is different.
I am 5'8" with broad shoulders. A few years ago I slimmed down to a size 12 but I still weighed 11 stone 8 and was over the recommended weight range for my height. If I had lost any more weight I would have looked ill and no amount of dieting is going to reduce the width of my shoulders. I am never going to be stick thin because I'm just not built like that.

PeppermintInfusion Tue 22-Jul-14 13:36:05

I always wonder this myself- I'm always heavy on the scales but people (even docs) are surprised I weigh that much compared to how I look. I'm 5'7/8 and about 14st 10, but I'm a size 14-16 (16 mainly to accommodate my upper thighs/hips. According to bmi etc that is obese, but whilst I will openly admit I need to lose a few Lbs I certainly don't look that weight. I attribute it to my wide frame and large chest. I am not particularly flabby.
Even when I lost a lot of weight last year and was down to a size 12 I was still 12st 7 at my lightest.

scarletforya Tue 22-Jul-14 15:11:12

I'm sure a radiologist could answer this properly. But I definitely believe some people would have denser bones than others.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now