Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

well on a scale of 1 to utter shit, last night was a turd sandwich.

(1000 Posts)
MrsKoala Tue 22-Jul-14 09:02:29

Im 33wks pregnant. At 10pm went to do last check on ds before bed. Sat on the edge of his bed and felt suddenly all hot and wet between my legs. Looked down and blood everywhere. Ran to the loo and called dh to call an ambulance. (sorry tmi) Sat on the loo while blood pouted out and lost a clot the size of a satsuma. Ambulance car took 25 mins then he was only in a car so then had to order another ambulance to take me to hospital.

dh was trying to be organised but i could hear him sobbing in the hallway. Got to hospital at midnight. Ive had 2 really painful canulas put in (they had 6 different attempts to find a vein) and steroid injections to strengthen the baby's lungs. Just waiting for more scans and injections today.

baby is kicking and has a strong heartbeat but i am terrified. I have no idea what may happen if it has to come this early
i have no baby things.

my parents had to drive over to watch fs so dh could follow on
but dad had been drinking, so mum had to drive and she has never been on a motorway (m25) took them an hour and a half and i don't think my poor mum is ever going to get over it!

sorry,if its garbled - never posted on my phone before.

i would really appreciate some company and any advice on what i can expect. Dh has just left to sort work out. Please send positive thoughts. It'll be okay, wont it?

diddl Thu 14-Aug-14 13:06:51

Hopefully you'll be looking back on all of this soon.

enormouse Thu 14-Aug-14 13:05:14

Try and rest as best you can MrsK. I know it's easier said than done. I would put out the message that your DH will deal with anything house/car/other related.

How did the monitoring go?

wingcommandergallic Thu 14-Aug-14 13:04:03

I think you're going to need a new thread Mrs K!

MrsKoala Thu 14-Aug-14 13:01:13

Yes, my dad doesn't deal with things very well, particularly frustration. He just gets shouty and aggressive to everyone. He talks to my mum like shite too. I have just had to tell him a few times to calm down and stop talking to people like that - especially in front of DS.

It's hard when you are relying on people. Normally i have very clear boundaries with my dad. But when i need him for something the boundaries start getting pushed.

MrsKoala Thu 14-Aug-14 12:56:48

After the stressful visit i have just had from my mum and dad i'm sure my BP is thru the roof now!

I have had some lunch, but i still feel very tired. No one has come to check my BP again so i guess they aren't worried. I'm due a baby monitoring soon so will ask then. I feel a little light headed and shaky today. i didn't sleep well so i think that is it.

CarbeDiem Thu 14-Aug-14 12:55:35

Also if you've just eaten before having your BP done, can show a low reading. Something to do with the extra blood needed to assist digestion. It's why many feel sleepy after a large meal.
My DH often uses it as an excuse for not washing the dishes, I'm quite the whip cracker and like need them done quickly after a meal smile

I also think that your Dad is maybe feeling a bit helpless with what's happening atm.

Hope you're ok.

AnotherStitchInTime Thu 14-Aug-14 12:31:21

Tiredness can lower your BP, but also low blood sugar so eat something if you can.

Dwerf Thu 14-Aug-14 12:22:44

I've been following this but haven't posted yet. I've not had a section but my sister's had three, her tips would be... don't look in the lights during the surgery unless you want to see the actual doings (she said it was all reflected in the light casing!) and boxer shorts to wear afterwards because they are comfier than knickers.

Netflix is an online on-demand place you can watch films and boxsets. They usually do a free trial month. Lovefilm is similar I think. So you could sign up, have a couple of free weeks and then cancel it.

My dd1 was in and out with her second with bleeds, they thought he was going to have to be delivered at 29 weeks, but he hung on until 39 in the end up. It was a complete faff for those ten weeks, every week she'd have a bleed, then either me or her partner would accompany her to the hospital and the other stay at home to look after her toddler. It was a very frustrating, expensive and stressful time. But all was well in the end.

Good luck!

HungryHorace Thu 14-Aug-14 12:17:06

I don't know if tiredness will reduce BP to that level, but it is low, yes (no idea what it means though :-/).

ItHasANiceRingWhenYouLaugh Thu 14-Aug-14 12:09:28

Thinking of you MrsK.

Have you had your BP checked again? I hope its come back up a bit.

Sirzy Thu 14-Aug-14 11:29:17

Is it something your dad could sort for you to make him feel useful?

Looks like your going to need a new thread soon!

ItHasANiceRingWhenYouLaugh Thu 14-Aug-14 11:24:58

Are the doctors and nurses aware of the drop? I found I had to send my people along to tell the nurses the automatic readings shock they just kept an eye out when mine got that low, and they were up again at next reading. They should at least take another reading in 15 minutes.

MrsKoala Thu 14-Aug-14 11:12:29

Yes. The men in my life are always difficult and sadly need a lot of 'managing'.

My blood pressure has dropped very low, 90/40. is that bad? i'm very tired, could that be it?

HungryHorace Thu 14-Aug-14 11:09:32

MrsK, my ELCS cut is low transverse but my EMCS cut is about an inch lower, right in the pubic hair. That's because I'd laboured and DD was trapped in my pelvis, so they had to go in lower to get her out.

As DS was oblique breech he was much higher up inside me, hence the standard position for the cut.

Between them, your dad and your DH do make things more stressful than necessary, don't they?

AnotherStitchInTime Thu 14-Aug-14 10:02:31

That sounds tiring MrsK. I expect it is a control reaction to the lack of control he feels over your situation. My DH and my DM both went a bit bonkers at points during my hospital stay.

If the key meter works then all you need to do is top it up, the vendors can leave the key for you. If there is no key you can get one plus emergency top up from certain shops anyway. There is a number to call to find out suppliers, will see if I can find it for you. You can then arrange an appointment for a change over to a credit meter once you move in. It can take weeks for an appointment as we found out when we spent two weeks after moving into our flat with no gas, heating or hot water after our landlord forgot they had removed the gas mater.

MrsKoala Thu 14-Aug-14 09:50:46

Oh dear, things appear to be getting stressful at Koala mansions. Was speaking to my mum who was writing a list of bits i'd like brought in this morning. Dad is one of those people who actually can't stand not being included in something (so phone calls when he is around are always difficult as he thinks of something reaaaally important he must ask you right then and sort of hovers in front of you following you from room to room - the best way to describe my dad is a toddler or a puppy), so he starts saying to mum has Koala sorted out removing the electricity key meter from the new house? (i know, astonishingly pressing at 8am when we are weeks away from completing the sale). So i tell mum no, i've emailed the name on the meter and they say they aren't the supplier so nothing to do with them. I say i'll tell him about it later. Mum then resumes her list making and chatting to me. Dad starts bellowing 'THIS IS REALLY IMPORTANT YOU BLOODY IDIOT' at mum. And i tell him to stop shouting, it is NOT important at this moment in time. He then is screaming 'YOU WONT HAVE ANY ELECTRICITY WHEN YOU MOVE IN, THIS HAS GOT TO BE SORTED RIGHT NOW' and other ridiculousness. <sigh> i love him and he is being really brilliant at the moment, but his rages and outbursts are just so tiresome.

PrimalLass Thu 14-Aug-14 08:51:41

Ooh I forgot that last time I wanted to fall asleep so they gave me a shot of adrenaline. Amazeballs is all I can say grin

bearfrills Thu 14-Aug-14 07:35:57

Nope, no g&a, I was gutted!

I react badly to morphine, makes me high as a kite and itchy as all get out, sickly too but it doesn't seem to affect me in a spinal. Either that or the anaesthetist put something h in it to counter the negative effects. Tell the anaesthetist, even if it's something that seems insignificant tell them, they have all sorts of drug and alternative drugs available smile

slithytove Thu 14-Aug-14 00:45:39

You don't have to have morphine I was just a bit too fond of it
Maybe they will give you g&a for the spinal?

MrsKoala Thu 14-Aug-14 00:04:32

I'm a bit worried about being given morphine. i hate it. it gives me the most foul taste in my mouth and projectile vomiting. Is there an alternative?

Oh no, i've just thought, does this mean no gas and air? That's the only reason i had this bloody baby!!

AuditAngel Wed 13-Aug-14 23:54:56

I forgot, with DD1 I was warned to drink lots, so from late afternoon to the morning I drank 3 jugs of water, they removed my catheter at bout 6 am. I then asked to go to the loo, but was told I couldn't as a MW hadn't mobilised me. I explained it was somewhat urgent. I stood up straight, gritted my teeth and got on with it as I was desperate to go home.

With DD2 DH begged me to demand more pain relief. They fave me IV paracetamol. Ask again and you'll get the good stuff grin

AuditAngel Wed 13-Aug-14 23:51:01

You were asking for CS stories. The worst part of mine with DD2 was them getting the extra cannula into my hands. After 2 unstable PP pregnancies my veins now collapse if you say the word "needle". This is really disappointing as I used to be really easy to stick, and used to let the trainee MWs practice on me when I was in with DD1!

With DD2 I had an EMCS , but it wasn't a huge rush. I had a big bleed starting at 3am on the Tuesday morning. They kept me on monitors all day, nil by mouth, then at 6 decided they didn't want to section me then as my enormous placenta was going to need to be cut through. The next morning, Wednesday, I convinced them that waiting until the following Tuesday when my ELCS was due wasn't a good idea.

The consultant scanned me using a mobile scanner, while my mum tried to hurry DH to the hospital (he us not a morning person).

It was really relaxed in theatre. DH is half Spanish and so was the male MW assigned to care for DD2 as she was born. The three of us were having a full blown discussion in Spanish whilst at the same time speaking to the other staff in English (good technique for distraction as I need to think to speak Spanish or be drunk ). The MW used the clippers on me in theatre.

They had the blood recycling machine all ready to hook me up to. They were expecting huge problems. My placenta went from posterior, all the way down, back up almost to my bra line at the front.

DD2 was born at 36+1 weighing 5lb 13oz. She needed about 19 minutes in a warmer. I couldn't hold her as I was really shaky, but DH held her on me, then held her.

It actually went better/smoother than my ELCS with DD1.

I do have an overhang, but it had a bit of one before having DS.

I have never regained the feeling in my belly. From about 1inch below my belly button it is like I gave had an injection at the Dentist. It was like this from having DD1, following DD2, the numb patch is now a bit higher, but basically the same.

dunfightin Wed 13-Aug-14 23:11:10

They do try to do it as neatly and as low as they can. I had two emcs - one under ga - but not too bad to look at; fortunately with both it was too late for them to get the razor out.
MWs always tell you the sewing up is like someone doing the washing up in your tummy; but to me it felt like they were trying to stuff clothes into a suitcase. Surgeons yacked on in their own world which was bizarre but anaesthetist who was at the top end was brilliant and lovely.
Having a nice pillow or cushion from home is a great idea. Peppermint tea great for the wind. And practice a wibbly/wobby sideways walk rather than trying to take huge strides forward - like you are trying to walk with your tights round your ankles and go sideways step by step up the stairs. CS under GA was worst or maybe having to do all the usual stuff with DC1 meant I didn't notice as much with the second; it was much less of a rush. You do notice discomfort more if you try to do too much. Catheter goes asap and MWs you up and walking as soon as possible - whip the bedclothes off and point you in the direction of the shower. Big, big granny pants are a must for a while afterwards as scar is sensitive or itchy for a while.
Hope you don't go too stir crazy Mrs K

bearfrills Wed 13-Aug-14 23:01:45

Sneak your waxer in, don't let them do it. Sterile clippers? I did mine myself, in my bath the night before, with DHs Wilkinson Sword blush I was 40+8 with a 9 lb - er so it was quite the acrobatic trick!

This thread is not accepting new messages.