Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

How long should it take for a scar to go?

(21 Posts)
CocktailQueen Mon 21-Jul-14 22:35:51

Dd (10) was injured at gym about 3 months ago. She still has a scar on her leg.

Is she likely to be scarred for life now, or will the scar still improve?? Is there anything I can put on it to help?

I haven't put anything on it as I thought it would go by itself .. Am a bit worried. It was only a shallow cut but about 5 inches long.

Barbie1 Mon 21-Jul-14 22:40:36

At her age the skin has a pretty fast turn over rate and will renew itself within a few months. A deeper scar can take 6-12 months to start to fade.

Bio oil is good for scarring but I'm not sure if it's suitable for that age range

Another product I swear by is dermologia multi vitamin power recovery mask. I use it on my children for multiple reasons, burns, bite and scarring to name a few.

It faded a very angry and large scar within weeks.

TheAwfulDaughter Mon 21-Jul-14 22:51:36

It's really not worth worrying about or buying special creams for. She is young, it will fade.

I was facially scarred at the same age, which imo is a lot bigger deal when it comes to teasing and low self esteem as it cannot be hidden. Members of my family specially buying me creams to slather over it didn't really help and made me really self conscious.

My own scars 11 years on are barely visible, even without make up, and they were deep red scars.

BreadForBrains Mon 21-Jul-14 22:54:57

I've got scars that I've had for years. One was a very superficial scratch on my hand that I did on a box about 4 years ago. It's a very fine scar but has never faded.
I also gouged my leg on a razor and had a cut about 5 inches long and an inch wide going up my shin that bled and wept for about 4 days which has faded massively.
Must depend on the thickness of the skin and how many layers were damaged? I always imagined scars would stay forever. Dp still has a couple of chicken pox scars on his shoulder that are over 30 years old!

Takver Mon 21-Jul-14 22:58:21

Is she bothered by it? I ask as I had two quite substantial scars from when I was a young child, one on my forehead from running headfirst through a plate glass door (don't ask . . .), and one on my knee. I was always rather proud of them, if anything, and was quite sad when they faded to insignificance. I'd say both took a few years to get to that stage, to be honest.

I think in both cases my DM was so relieved things weren't worse the scar was the least of her worries so that probably made a big difference to how I saw things.

Takver Mon 21-Jul-14 23:00:25

Having said that, dd had a scar on her forehead from running into a brick wall age around 5 or 6 (obviously inherited my careful genes) and that faded out of noticeability very quickly, a matter of months, can't think how many but less than a year. It was quite a shallow wound, so probably more like your dd's.

sheeplikessleep Mon 21-Jul-14 23:04:34

Interested in this too.
Ds2 who is 4, fell over about 3 weeks ago, cut to his forehead and glued back up (nurse told us it would scar as small, but deep).
I wonder if it is worth trying bio oil or something else? I've read castor oil, as well as aloe Vera gel can help? I've read good stuff about mederma too.

CocktailQueen Mon 21-Jul-14 23:10:28

Dd is worried about it. It's right above her knee and quite noticeable. She likes to wear shorts and short skirts and feels self conscious with the scar. Hmm, maybe should sue the gym!!

KingJoffreysBloodshotEye Mon 21-Jul-14 23:11:26

I have several scars that have faded well and are mostly invisible, including a large surgery scar on my hand.

My tattoo artist told me that skin takes a good six months to recover from trauma.

inlectorecumbit Mon 21-Jul-14 23:35:39

Try not to let the scar take a sun tan. The scar will turn brown like the rest of the skin but when the tan fades very often the scar retains the colour. that said l worked with plastic surgeons who told patients it takes up to 18 months for a scar to fade but many will still be slightly noticable. It wont happen overnight.
Any good mosturiser rubbed into the scar x 2 daily does help a bit

I've got two half-moon scars on my finger where I was bitten by a dog and nearly lost the finger. They're quite small scars, considering, but six years on I'm still waiting for them to fade.

I wonder if some people have skin that makes scars fade better than others? Because few of my scars have faded - I have one from a fairly superficial dog bite when I was 5 that is still a dent in my arm.

WhatsTheEffingPoint Tue 22-Jul-14 14:33:45

I had a bad accident that resulted in me now having a 7" huge scar down the middle of my knee and a few other scars from the pins that were put in my leg and keyhole surgery. I used to be a bit conscious of them as people would always ask how i got them (it was good fun thinking up the most stupid stories). My scars have faded but are still visible after 5yrs but they are part of me and my history.

Bowlersarm Tue 22-Jul-14 14:37:29

It will fade, but it won't disappear.

I've got loads on my legs from my tree climbing childhood. I rather like them, but I appreciate it's not great for your dd if she's self conscious about it.

mousmous Tue 22-Jul-14 14:39:23

some never go.
an asthetic suregon told us (dc has scar in face) to wait a year before you can think about scar minimising treatment.
until then keep the scar out of uv light and keep it moisurised using vit e oil (break open vit e capsules).

bikermouse1 Tue 22-Jul-14 14:58:19

The rest I don't know but a thumbs up for the vit e capsules like wot mousmous wrote. Worked for me with my mastectomy scars.atb.

Vit e and suncream over it when out in the sun. Don't let it tan or burn.

sheeplikessleep Tue 22-Jul-14 15:52:43

I thought vit e was a bit controversial as to whether it works or not?

gobbin Tue 22-Jul-14 15:56:20

After recent op my nurse told me that Bio Oil is great for scars but if I didn't want to go to that expense then ANY cream e.g. E45, baby lotion is better than nothing.

I got the Bio Oil and, after picking myself up off the floor in Asda at the £8 cost, I have to say it's good. You only need a few drops on your fingers and it spreads/soaks in beautifully. I'd give it a try with your DD.

spiderlight Tue 22-Jul-14 16:00:51

I've been doing a lot of reading about this in the past few days because DS split his forehead to the bone last week and had to have six stitches, and the thing that seems to be most consistently recommended by doctors is Dermatix silicone gel or sheets, which you can buy online or get on prescription. Last time he cut his forehead (he is supremely skilled at landing on his head - the current cut is #4), I used Bio Oil as soon as it was healed and the scar turned from a very noticeable red to a faint white line within a couple of months. I've used rosehip oil and snail gel on it since (4 years) and not seen much of a difference, although it's barely visible unless you're looking for it.

I used Almond oil on DS's kidney surgery scar but that was more to keep it supple than to try and fade it. Used it after it had healed fully but was still 'new' but only for around a month so so. Don't think it really had a 'fading' effect though

InternetFOREVER Tue 22-Jul-14 16:08:49

I burnt my leg as a child and had a noticeable scar for years. Then one day it had gone! So don't assume that because its still visible it will always be.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now