Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

How long can I realistically hide my pregnancy?

(68 Posts)
PeppermintInfusion Mon 21-Jul-14 18:44:06

For various work related reasons, I need to conceal my pregnancy for as long as possible, ideally until when I legally need to inform my employer, though I understand that is highly unlikely blush

When will I realistically be showing beyond doubt?

I work mostly with men who are unlikely to pick up until it's obvious btw.

I am quite large framed/wide hips and carry a bit of weight round my stomach anyway; size 14-16 if that helps.

I know everyone is different but just looking for an idea.

TIAsmile

MinutesOfMeetings Mon 21-Jul-14 18:46:14

Pregnancy 1 was obvious my 14 weeks
Pregnancy 2 i could have hidden until 24 weeks
Pregnancy 3 was the same as number 2

RabbitSaysWoof Mon 21-Jul-14 18:47:10

I worked with men, they never noticed I told them at 26 weeks.
Desk job though so sitting down alot and first baby, I think firsts hide better.

DuckandCat Mon 21-Jul-14 18:47:19

Probably around 20 weeks, maybe a bit longer depending on how your bump grows. I'm 23 weeks now and people have started to notice over the last week or so.

Rainicorn Mon 21-Jul-14 18:47:21

Totally depends on your body.

With my first pregnancy I didn't have a noticeable bump until 26+ weeks, my third pregnancy I started showing practically at the moment of conception.

Is there a reason you need to hide it for as long as possible? They cannot fire you for being pregnant.

SiennaBlake Mon 21-Jul-14 18:47:34

You could get away with it for ages if you are already carrying weight on your belly. I was size 16 when pregnant and I just looked fat until around 29 weeks.

ShitStickSugar Mon 21-Jul-14 18:47:47

I am a 18-20, im now 4 months and I dont think you can tell. Dh was saying he thinks im starting to look a little bit pregnant.- but I think that is just because he knows!

RabbitSaysWoof Mon 21-Jul-14 18:48:13

Haha crossed there. Maybe I'm wrong about the first being better at hide n seek.

HindsightisaMarvellousThing Mon 21-Jul-14 18:49:38

I was the same size as you before I became pregnant and my team noticed something was up around 13 weeks I think - I caught the odd glance at my stomach from the women in my team. The men, not so much.

To be fair though, if I hadn't had time off for docs and midwives etc then they might not have guessed so early. I wasn't sick at all, and didn't really go out drinking anyway. I told the team at 15 weeks-ish and only the men were surprised.

I might have been able to carry on in secrecy if it had been winter (more scarves and baggy jumpers) till maybe around 18-20 weeks?

NannyPlumIsMyIdol Mon 21-Jul-14 18:49:47

I did hide DD1 for 5 months, until i had taken my final exams. Baggy clothes, coat/bag carried in front of me etc.

DS i could have hidden all the way through if i'd wanted, tiny bump and 5lb weight gain.

DD2 would have been difficult to hide beyond around 18 weeks.

Every woman is different but each pregnancy is also different so not much help.

Hope it works out for you.

NannyPlumIsMyIdol Mon 21-Jul-14 18:50:59

Oh i was a size 10 before each pregnancy if that helps.

BornOfFrustration Mon 21-Jul-14 18:51:19

I worked with all men and got to about 22 weeks before someone asked if I were pregnant. I was standing like his wife does when she's pregnant apparently, whatever that means.

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

IdrisElbaIsMyHusband Mon 21-Jul-14 18:51:23

I've had six kids and didn't tell anyone apart from close family until I was about 30 weeks.on my last pregnancy no one new until I'd actually had the baby.

wigglesrock Mon 21-Jul-14 18:54:51

I didn't tell anyone in work until I was 21 weeks pregnant with dd1. I told them after the 20 week scan. I worked with mainly women but I just don't think they realised.

startwig1982 Mon 21-Jul-14 18:54:57

I got away with not telling work until I was 23 weeks with this pregnancy. My closest colleagues knew and were amazed that no one had realised!

LuluJakey1 Mon 21-Jul-14 18:55:55

I am 16 weeks and 3 days. No one has noticed yet. Not a skinny lizzie naturally. DH can't believe no one has noticed but they don't see me naked or spend time touching the bump or talking to it. smile

HavanaSlife Mon 21-Jul-14 18:58:17

The 4th I hid until 16 weeks but could have gone longer, the 5th I didn't. Tell anyone until 22 weeks

TeWiSavesTheDay Mon 21-Jul-14 18:58:58

When I left for ML at 35wks in my first pregnancy, not everyone had realised I was pregnant! I had the look of someone who'd got a bit of bloating going on until I was due really. My close colleagues knew because I had such raging morning sickness.

Subsequent pregnancies much more obvious physically but much less sickness.

Luck of the draw really.

tomatoplantproject Mon 21-Jul-14 18:59:41

Everyone at work had guessed by the time I told them at 13 weeks. My boobs had gone up about 3 sizes very early on and they all noticed I had changed shape. I work with mostly men (who all had 3-5 kids each so switched on about all things child related).

DefiniteMaybe Mon 21-Jul-14 19:02:16

I'm 23 weeks with my third and people don't know I'm pregnant till I tell them I just look fat.
I'd imagine I'll be 30 weeks or more before I actually look pregnant.
A very very skinny friend has recently hidden her pregnancy from family until 22 weeks just by wearing looser tops and she did have a bump.

hamptoncourt Mon 21-Jul-14 19:04:29

I would advise against this. What if something went wrong (collapse etc) and nobody at work knew you were pregnant?

If you leave it until you have to tell which is 15 weeks before due date - so 25 weeks - then they won't be able to do a workplace risk assessment for you either. You won't be able to take advantage of time off for appts too.

Can you tell someone you trust in the workplace? Is it because you are on a fixed term contract which you want cemented before you tell them?

slithytove Mon 21-Jul-14 19:04:37

Will you be safe at work and able to attend antenatal appts if you don't tell them you are pregnant?

hamptoncourt Mon 21-Jul-14 19:05:22

Great minds slithy

JazzyThistle Mon 21-Jul-14 19:05:44

With dc1 I was 5 months before I was showing and I was a size 8. Dc2 I was 16 weeks when I looked visibly pregnant but I had hyperemesis so work knew from 6 weeks, then with dc3 I think I looked visibly pregnant at 15 weeks. I've gone up a size with each baby, but I really do think it depends on your shape and how your body carries.

That was my plan. I didn't really look much different until about 26 weeks and even up to the end I could hide it. I put very little weight on and had just small bump.
Unfortunately I was in hospital at 8 weeks with hyperemisis and so everyone found out rather too soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now