Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

What's your opinion on this? Dad in Florida beats up man who he caught abusing his son? *trigger*

(166 Posts)
Nokidsnoproblem Mon 21-Jul-14 17:50:33

www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/police-chief-no-issue-dad-3886813

What's your take on this?

My immediate thought was that the dad would have been arrested, but I was surprised to learn that they have no intention of arresting the father.

My only concern is that they seem to just be taking the dad's word for it, even though they haven't done an investigation yet.

CripesItsTheGasMan Mon 21-Jul-14 17:52:57

The man abusing his son has admitted to doing it since the poor boy was 8. I read the police said they wont arrest him because he done what any other dad would do in that situation.

SantanaLopez Mon 21-Jul-14 17:56:30

That's quite horrifying. The photo is quite disturbing- that man has been severely beaten up.

I agree with you about just taking the dad's word for it too. What if he had killed him?

HairOnMyChinnyChinChin Mon 21-Jul-14 17:59:20

The guy's admitted to it.

Personally think the dad should have comforted his son first - but then we don't know what he walked into.

There will be forensics etc involved too.

The only victims in this are the boy and his family.

Ilovenewts Mon 21-Jul-14 18:00:30

I don't think they are taking the dad's word for it. Guys admitted it and the son has given a statement.

I don't think it's right but I can't say as I'd do different if I walked in on someone doing that to my child either.

Suzannewithaplan Mon 21-Jul-14 18:01:29

Of course it is what every parent would feel like doing but still I don't think it is a good idea to condone and encourage vigilantism.

Doesn't the US have the rule of law, isn't this regarded as an advance away from vigilantism?

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Mon 21-Jul-14 18:01:37

I think what the dad did was understandable but wrong. It certainly looks like disproportionate force may have been used, but we do not have the whole story.

BruthasTortoise Mon 21-Jul-14 18:02:15

I would've stabbed him. And I'm not saying that's right but it's what I would've done.

Suzannewithaplan Mon 21-Jul-14 18:03:50

Even if he is guilty isn't civilization about being above 'eye for an eye' style of justice?

RoseberryTopping Mon 21-Jul-14 18:05:04

Well, he didn't do the 'right' thing but honestly, I don't blame him and probably would have done similar myself.

GirlWithTheLionHeart Mon 21-Jul-14 18:05:20

He should've shoved something sharp up his arse as well.

They have a law in the US , not sure whether it's in every state, whereby you can defend your home, yourself and your family from an intruder up to and including death.

I read the article the other day but don't remember if this was an invited person, or an intruder to the home. Not sure if the above law would apply to the case or not. I don't know what I would do if I found someone hurting my child, I would hope I'd kick the living shit out of them, but we don't know until we are faced with a situation.

Greenwayslide Mon 21-Jul-14 18:06:33

He caught him in the act I think most parent would attack a person they caught abusing their child.

Greenwayslide Mon 21-Jul-14 18:07:07

Heroyal the law is called stand your ground

magicstar1 Mon 21-Jul-14 18:09:03

He caught the guy with his pants around his ankles in the middle of abusing his son...I admire his restraint in not killing him.

Suzannewithaplan Mon 21-Jul-14 18:09:15

I would of course want to execute him on the spot but in the long run would that in any way mitigate the damage done to the child?

Would it just compound the awfulness?

MaidOfStars Mon 21-Jul-14 18:09:38

I can't condone vigilantism but not sure this would fall under that charge? The Dad caught the perpetrator with his son, no? So reasonable to take defensive action on behalf of your son?

and I'm not going to cry too many tears if Dad put the odd extra boot in

Suzannewithaplan Mon 21-Jul-14 18:10:43

Oh I didn't realise he caught him in the act

Cocolepew Mon 21-Jul-14 18:11:32

I would have knocked 7 shades of shit out of him too.

Viviennemary Mon 21-Jul-14 18:12:20

I think it's fair enough.

Idontseeanyicegiants Mon 21-Jul-14 18:12:21

I was wondering if it would he covered by the stand your ground laws, wasn't sure if that only involves guns though.
In all honesty, we can all imagine we'd be above exacting revenge but the truth is I think most of us would react in the same way under those circumstances.

Shame he didn't do more damage.

ToffeeMoon Mon 21-Jul-14 18:16:07

The bastard admitted it to police. Child abused for years. It seems there's a strong familial link - it happened in the family home at 1am. Dad had gone out to a shop and left attacker babysitting. I hope to god he wasn't a relation but I did read there was a family connection.

I find blame the dad for a moment.

Gruntfuttock Mon 21-Jul-14 18:17:06

the article I read about this mentioned that there was a close family connection between the victim and the perpetrator, which made me wonder if there are in fact brothers and therefore the father beat up his own son.

ToffeeMoon Mon 21-Jul-14 18:17:09

I don't blame the dad, not find.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now