Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

What inexplicably odd things have you seen parents do?

(127 Posts)

A seemingly sensible woman at my local playgroup got shirty today because other children played with her son's toys. Those precious toys that she brought along to a toddler group and laid out on a table.

She yanked one of said toys out of my 2 year old DD's hand, prompting much tears. The other adults present just looked on, bewildered.

I didn't say anything by the way. I didn't want to start a row over a sticklebrick as life's too short. I just ushered her towards some plastic sheep. My DD, not the loon mum.

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Mon 21-Jul-14 16:53:27

Yep, loony. You put toys in sight of small children, you are asking for them to be played with.

Can't think of my own example at the moment. Probably means I am the guilty party. grin

KingJoffreysBloodshotEye Mon 21-Jul-14 16:58:24

Dropping a child's dummy on the floor, licking it and then putting it back in their mouths.

I don't mean toddlers (grim, unhygienic buggers anyway) but tiny babies.

WTF?

I did see someone chew their toddler's food for them once but I think this may be a done thing in some circles and not at all crazy.

MilkandCereal Mon 21-Jul-14 17:00:10

I am grin at the thought of you trying to pacify shirtymother with a toy sheep.

grin

Mum kneeling on the floor at toddler group desperately coaxing an uninterested child to eat a Fromage Frais yoghurt and spooning it into his mouth as he plays.

It's 11am and he's playing creatively, why not just let him eat it when he wants it?

MilkandCereal Mon 21-Jul-14 17:11:18

Allowing their toddler to go fifty plus yards behind/in front of them in a very busy city centre. I see this regularly,and I don't get it.

Yes I'm wearing my judgey pants today.Why do you ask?

Also parents who stand safely on the pavement while waiting at traffic lights,but who have their buggy/pram pushed out in the road.

Morethanalittlebitconfused Mon 21-Jul-14 17:12:26

Parents who stand at the crossing fag in one hand mobile in the other buggy on the road waiting to cross

HauntedNoddyCar Mon 21-Jul-14 17:15:05

Someone picking up her maybe 6month old off the floor by the back of the babygro and carrying the child across the room like that. Like a holdall. Baby had been lying on its front.

BertieBotts Mon 21-Jul-14 17:16:55

I suppose the child going 50 yards before/in front isn't a bolter. I used to let DS walk in front/behind but he has always had good road sense (yes really) and he never ever ran off either. But we didn't live in a city so it was never that busy.

I'm sure I've seen some odd things but I can't remember any now!

BertieBotts Mon 21-Jul-14 17:17:43

Oh there was the dad who turned up to playgroup and proceeded to put his toddler DD into one of the toy dolls' prams and run around the room pushing her confused

MilkandCereal Mon 21-Jul-14 17:20:05

This is a toddler,in a very busy city centre,where you'd struggle to see your child at that distance, because people are literally jam packed,and with very busy roads. It is a little different.

KingJoffreysBloodshotEye Mon 21-Jul-14 17:21:12

My ex-SiL would always stride on ahead leaving her 2/3 year old to wander behind totally unable to keep up.

I see tiny kids scooting across roads/driveways without looking and the parent ages behind. Luckily at school drop off time traffic is pretty much at a stand still but oy's still dangerous.

Scraping spat out food from your baby's face and re-feeding it makes me heave.

And an ex-colleague sucked mucus from her baby's nose when he was ill. I didn't eat for about a week after that.

Bertie grin

BertieBotts Mon 21-Jul-14 17:21:47

Fair enough Milk. No, would have used a buggy in that situation.

kingjoff did colleague do this in the office per chance? An ex colleague of mine on mat leave brought her baby in and changed shitty nappy on a desk. (There are baby change facilities in the public areas of my workplace so no need to do that at ALL).

FoxSticks Mon 21-Jul-14 17:28:31

We had a similar thing happen to us last week at a toddler group. A lady and her two kids had a pile of books in front of them, she got up to speak to another mum her kids were playing with other toys and my dd wandered over and picked up a book and bought it to me. Her son had a screaming fit and she came over and insisted that she took the book for him. I wouldn't have minded if my dd had snatched it but it wasn't being looked at so was fair game in my opinion. Like you I didn't say anything though, I just looked surprised/miffed I think!

CharlieSierra Mon 21-Jul-14 17:29:30

Don't know about odd but saw the most unbelievably precious thing yesterday at a christening. Mum of baby being christened was interrupted whilst feeding by another mother complaining that her precious DD was being refused a ballon by older child. She marched right up and stood and waited for Mum to stop feeding baby and go and sort it out. My DH noted that some adults are worse tell tales and more childish than children.

KingJoffreysBloodshotEye Mon 21-Jul-14 17:29:53

No, this was in her house.

MummytoMog Mon 21-Jul-14 17:30:01

I have been known to chew my own food for small toddlers (DS I'm looking at you) when they desperately wanted to try it but had no teeth. Only in private though.

FoxSticks Mon 21-Jul-14 17:31:49

I've remembered another one thanks to your last story! A woman changing her babys nappy on a table in the food court ina shopping centre. You could see the toilets from where we were sat - bleurgh.

Primadonnagirl Mon 21-Jul-14 17:32:04

One general observation..parents who dangle buggies over the pavement of busy roads to entice cars to stop
One specific observation..the stupid woman travelling on the train tonight with another Mum and several kids who said ( to entertain them) " Let's have a competition to see who can shout the loudest!".....

MilkandCereal Mon 21-Jul-14 17:33:00

shock at having a shouting contest on a train.

Primadonnagirl Mon 21-Jul-14 17:36:05

I was so tempted to join in myself!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now