Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Who finds dark, brooding, mysterious men attractive? Anyone?

(34 Posts)
PostHocErgoPropterHoc Mon 21-Jul-14 14:27:49

I was watching Bridesmaids the other day and realised I found Jon Hamm so much more attractive in that than in Mad Men, even though the character in bridesmaids is a total dick (they both are really).

It's because he smiles and laughs. I never saw the point of Angel either, it was always Spike for me, until he went all lovelorn and brooding too.

Really, I don't get it. Does anyone go for that type? Or is it some mistaken male idea of hidden depths and intelligence and mystique. It's bollocks is what it is.

AMillionNameChangesLater Mon 21-Jul-14 14:29:27

I found Don Draper massively attractive

MaidOfStars Mon 21-Jul-14 14:32:00

Batman.

Nuff said.

PostHocErgoPropterHoc Mon 21-Jul-14 14:34:18

Urgh. To both. Except Christian Bale in the dark knight rises, where he spends much more time being Bruce Wayne and not Batman.

emotionsecho Mon 21-Jul-14 14:34:45

Dark and dangerous over pale and interesting every timegrin

PostHocErgoPropterHoc Mon 21-Jul-14 14:35:30

What is it about Don Draper then? I only liked him when he showed flashes of warmth and humanity. But the general way he smouldered around the place - no thanks.

PostHocErgoPropterHoc Mon 21-Jul-14 14:36:30

I liked Roger. Much more fun.

Yes.
In fantasy-land.
No in real life, they tend to be arse-holes. grin

SarcyMare Mon 21-Jul-14 15:07:49

i always liked the vampires in "lost boys" and defo spike, that first scene with him and buffy, you know the really destructive one mops her brow.
Interview with a vampire, yummy.

but would never actually date one, agree with scottish mum.

Deluge Mon 21-Jul-14 15:11:21

I like funny men.

Dark and brooding in reality means moody, monosyllabic and not very bright.

Alpacacino Mon 21-Jul-14 15:19:49

Yes to Batman - but only Adam West, ever.

In fantasy land, I tend to like the slightly-unhinged type. Dangerous, clever, dark, secretive, brooding...

In real life I like friendly and open types.

PostHocErgoPropterHoc Mon 21-Jul-14 15:48:50

Perhaps my fantasy life is lacking grin but I see dark and brooding and think sullen and sulky, and hard work. What's the appeal?

I dunno, someone called my DH perky the other day smile

DownByTheRiverside Mon 21-Jul-14 15:52:52

I married dark, mostly silent and clever. smile
He married the opposite.
It's worked out well for us, but then lifeandsoulofthe party or deeply needy men who don't let me breathe and need to do everything as a couple are a nightmare for me.

chockbic Mon 21-Jul-14 15:52:58

Sort of Heathcliff kind of guy? All jaw jut and attitude.

Not if he didn't answer my texts grin

squoosh Mon 21-Jul-14 15:53:05

I like 'em dark and brooding with a quick wit and a dry sense of humour.

Throw a talent into the mix, music/acting/writing, and oh my!

DownByTheRiverside Mon 21-Jul-14 15:55:09

What's the appeal? I like being one of the few people he can tolerate for more than a week or two, I like my rarity value, and the fact that over the years I've got to see and learn stuff that other people don't know or even guess about him.

PostHocErgoPropterHoc Mon 21-Jul-14 15:57:53

I like being one of the few people he can tolerate for more than a week or two Hmm, DH is once of the very few people I can tolerate for more than a week or two. Perhaps I'm the dark, brooding, hard work one in our relationship...

SarcyMare Mon 21-Jul-14 16:05:18

" DH is once of the very few people I can tolerate for more than a week or two. Perhaps I'm the dark, brooding, hard work one in our relationship..."

oh dear me as well

DownByTheRiverside Mon 21-Jul-14 16:06:46

Put it this way, he's never yelled at me in anger, never sulked and whined that I ought to do something that he's capable of and never wanted me to be his mummy.
He can be self-centred and forget about things, and he's not telepathic but he suits me.

Downamongtherednecks Mon 21-Jul-14 16:25:59

My DH appears dark, brooding, and taciturn. He is in fact in IT and therefore only occasionally in the same space-time continuum as most people. Put him on the floor with a bunch of children and a box of lego, however, and he is the life and soul of the party!

TiggyD Mon 21-Jul-14 17:07:49

Look in the Relationships forum and you'll see loads of women complaining about their dark brooding men.

Women, just start picking men who aren't obvious arseholes.

Morethanalittlebitconfused Mon 21-Jul-14 17:09:19

I like a broad shouldered man with an equally broad easy smile

SiennaBlake Mon 21-Jul-14 17:10:15

I like them funny and friendly. Like any character Seth Rogen plays. None of this sulking for me thanks!

PostHocErgoPropterHoc Mon 21-Jul-14 17:11:35

Women, just start picking men who aren't obvious arseholes.

Men, just stop being arseholes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now