Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Oh fuuuuuuuuuudge! Speeding camera question

(42 Posts)
Lozzapops Mon 21-Jul-14 14:15:08

Aaaargh! Have just been driving on a 60mph road, driving at or below the speed limit for the duration, I genuinely had no belief that I was speeding, when I got flashed by a speed camera! Looked at the speedo and saw that the needle has creeped to just over the 60 (61, 62 absolute maximum).

Am I really going to get a ticket for this?! I am gutted, I don't really "do" speeding (although, yes, clearly my post proves otherwise), I don't have any points on my license, and I'm too skint to pay a fine! Waahhh!

ObfusKate Mon 21-Jul-14 14:16:37

Are you sure it's a 60 limit there? Most speedos read a little higher than reality at 60 AFAIK.

ObfusKate Mon 21-Jul-14 14:17:22

By which I mean that if my speedo read 62, my satnav would most likely tell me I was doing about 59.

Lozzapops Mon 21-Jul-14 14:17:51

That's what I am worrying about now! Because I was sure it wouldn't pick me up at just 2mph over, but I feel fairly sure it is a 60 road. Without me going back to the scene of the crime, is there any way of checking?

MaidOfStars Mon 21-Jul-14 14:18:09

Very surprised if a camera flashed you doing 62 (speedo) on a 60 road, especially given that your speedo will likely read high.

MaidOfStars Mon 21-Jul-14 14:19:13
Tory79 Mon 21-Jul-14 14:21:15

I think they normally allow 5% margin of error so you should be fine if it was a 60 road. Like pp's my speedo also reads 4-5 mph faster than my satnav, and I think satnav is supposed to be the more accurate.

If you google the road or look up speed cameras on that road you'll probably be able to find out what the speed limit is.

Lozzapops Mon 21-Jul-14 14:24:54

MaidOfStars thanks for the link, can't get it to play ball on mobile, but will try on the computer.

Really will be gutted if I now find it was a 50 road, I have no idea how I would have overlooked that one. I'll report back!

gobbin Mon 21-Jul-14 14:25:04

There are no '60mph' roads. There are National Speed Limit roads, some of which are 60mph.

If you didn't see the NSL sign then it was probably a 50mph and your goose is cooked...sorry.

3 points and £100 fine.

ObfusKate Mon 21-Jul-14 14:25:40

If it were a 50 I'd expect there to be signs - no signs, and I'd expect 60 or 30.

MaidOfStars Mon 21-Jul-14 14:25:50

Which road? If you want to share....

ElephantsNeverForgive Mon 21-Jul-14 14:29:34

62 should be fine, unless your in my county where the cunt of a council likes to put 50 limits everywhere just to avoid actually maintaining the roads.

Lozzapops Mon 21-Jul-14 14:31:43

Gobbin when I say 60mph road, I do mean national speed limit, not that it had a specific sign saying "60".

I have looked up the road, and, as I suspected, it is a national speed limit road. It definitely flashed me, but I am absolutely 100% certain that I was going no faster than 62mph. I will hold my breath every time the post comes now!

ObfusKate Mon 21-Jul-14 14:32:11

My county likes to apply 30 limits by the simple technique of removing the signs saying 50. Then for three weeks, they ticket people who assume the signs have just fallen off again.

(My details may be incorrect but I swear they've done this several times near us.)

ObfusKate Mon 21-Jul-14 14:33:13

If it's a 60 road and you were doing 62 by your speedo then I I think you're unlikely to get done. Good luck.

tiokiko Mon 21-Jul-14 14:37:17

Could be a faulty camera. I've been flashed when definitely at or under limit and nothing happened.

slithytove Mon 21-Jul-14 14:37:20

Could it have been flashing someone driving on the other side of the road?

SweetsForMySweet Mon 21-Jul-14 14:38:35

My friend got a speeding notice for doing 3mph over the limit and was able to do a road safety course to avoid getting penalty points (I pressume he had a previous clean record before this and his job is reliant on him having a licence so maybe that had some bearing on the situation?)

MissSmiley Mon 21-Jul-14 14:40:54

I got a ticket a few years ago for 32 in a 30 limit.

BumpAndGrind Mon 21-Jul-14 14:42:00

Was someone passing you going the other direction?

BackforGood Mon 21-Jul-14 14:44:30

If they did catch you, then doing the Speed Awareness course will cost you in the first instance, but be a LOT cheaper longer term as it keeps your licence clean and therefore your insurance as it is.

ThatWasNice Mon 21-Jul-14 14:55:36

Was it sunny? Are you sure it wasn't just the sun catching the camera?

62 on your speedo would not normally get a flash.

They have to send the tickets out quite quickly so you will know soon enough.

On my speed awareness course (34 in a 30 zone blush ) there was a woman who claimed to had done 74 in a 70 zone which makes the 10%--urban myth-- rule a bit questionable However, I didn't actually see her ticket so she could have been fibbing ???

Good luck, I'm sure you will be ok.

Rosebug258 Mon 21-Jul-14 15:06:50

In the county I live in they have removed all speed cameras and have the mobile unit out everyday.

Where I work (insider knowledge) only 2 of the speed cameras in the county actually work, and they are all set to the 10% margin. But the ones which don't do flash on quite a bit. I think the 10% margin varies from county to county and its discressional to the police who inforce it.

Pot luck IMO

Lozzapops Mon 21-Jul-14 15:24:18

So, bit of a mixed set of experiences then.

Not a particularly sunny day, so wasn't the sun reflecting. There were cars coming towards me, but none of them seemed to be going particularly fast.

I will sit tight, and hope it doesn't come down to going on the speed awareness course. Don't think my "62 in a 60 zone" story would gain me much street cred! (Sorry, I know it's not funny really, nothing street cred-worthy about speeding!)

NickNacks Mon 21-Jul-14 15:29:01

gobbin I don't think that's strictly true. We have a dual carriageway local to me (and many will have been on if visiting Legoland) which is a 60mph limit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now