Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

HALP! Chcken in my garden and IT WONT LEAVE!

(140 Posts)
HopAlongOn Sun 20-Jul-14 22:38:42

Posting here for traffic.

As above. There is a chicken in my garden. Been there since dinner time. I asked around my neighbours and someone thinks it belongs to a house in a cul de sac at the back of our garden, but when I knocked on doors no one knew anything except that three of them sort of come and go in their gardens too and just sort of... make their way home eventually.

We tried to shooo it away under the fence to the back of us, thinking it might have got stuck. But it came back! It's now asleep on my back door step. Right next to the bloody cat flap.

My cat is a beast, he catches magpies and squirrels. He's indoors with us at the minute and mostly seemed ... confused (?) by the chicken. I don't think he would attack it because it's got massive claws, but he is quite stupid. I don't have a litter tray and he is going to need to go out at some point tonight.

What do I do?! What if it's still there in the morning? Should I feed it? It's warm here still so I guess it will be OK overnight?

libra101 Fri 25-Jul-14 17:20:28

We have two hens (called Clara Cluck and Victoria Peckham), and a bantam. We would offer to take the chicken off your hands but they would fight or peck angrily! And chickens are known to use such foul language!

If your adopted chicken likes jokes, you could ask him if he knows why the chicken dating agency went bankrupt. Because they couldn't make hens meet.

It might make him chuckle... then again, maybe not!

Good luck!

hellymelly Fri 25-Jul-14 17:24:30

She looks like a young Pekin Bantam to me. Her comb is too pink for her to be laying yet, I imagine she is only a few months old. They are a very friendly and cuddly breed. Or she may be a crossbreed i suppose. I hope you get to keep her, the owner seems rather slack. Here is my cockerel , Charles.

hellymelly Fri 25-Jul-14 17:26:41

And one of my ladies.. my favourite, she is 6 now. I love bantams.

hungrymaneater Fri 25-Jul-14 17:50:58

I am now eagerly awaiting the conclusion of the chicken saga. Does Pock Pock go back to her original flock, or does she stay with HopALongOn at the chicken hotel her place and start a new flock of her own?

cdwales Fri 25-Jul-14 18:59:19

From the piccies she is a cross between a Slikie (feathery legs) and possibly Light Sussex (or something more exotic). Is she in lay (laying eggs?) or moulting (changing her feathers and hence looking rather tatty). she may be young and yet to start laying - if so her first eggs may be rather small and may not have a yolk - they soon settle down! When she is in lay she may try to brood so keep an eye out for the nest. Don't take all the eggs or she will find a safer place! If she is not a broody she could be quite careless about where she lays...They are happier with other birds as they feel safer. They are real characters and I am very fond of mine. Here is our Buff Orpington cockerel Mr Rochester! He is a real gentleman with his hens...

Ericaequites Fri 25-Jul-14 21:15:11

If it lays an egg in your yard, you're entitled to keep the egg under English common and Mosaic law.

Egghead68 Fri 25-Jul-14 23:38:55

I think she could well be a young pekin too. If you are going to keep her please buy her some proper chicken food from a pet shop or garden centre (by the look of her I think she needs growers' mash/pellets). They will enjoy eating muesli but it's not a balanced food for them.

Egghead68 Fri 25-Jul-14 23:39:20

P.s. She will also need chicken grit, greens and water.

foofooyeah Fri 25-Jul-14 23:59:46

Please, update on pock pock !
I have loved this thread

Zazzles007 Sat 26-Jul-14 00:41:42

OP just caught up with your thread, and am gutted there is an owner! sad I have heard of cats and dogs choosing and 'adopting' an owner, but had never heard of a chicken doing it. If you return it to the owner, and the chicken comes back to you, then I reckon said owner should set it 'free' as Pockpock really seems to want to adopt you grin.

HopAlongOn Sat 26-Jul-14 20:19:04

Hello. Apologies for not updating.

Pick Pock has gone. The owner never came to get her, but she escaped into my neighbor's garden and then took her to a friend who has a little farm. So she is now safe from cars and has some chicken friends. I'm a bit sad but we couldn't keep her, not really. Chickens need too much looking after for us at the minute. I'd love to have some in the future though, she was lovely. I'll work on DH I think, and perhaps in a coult of years.

Thanks for all the chicken advice, and I love all the pictures!

Egghead68 Sat 26-Jul-14 20:42:08

I am glad she has gone to a good home. Thanks for updating and for looking after her.

foofooyeah Sat 26-Jul-14 20:50:46

Thanks for the update, glad she is in a nice new home with friends

grin

WallyBantersJunkBox Sun 27-Jul-14 12:02:27

Bye Pock Pock !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now