Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

if started on balsnce bike, did your dc ever do bike with stabilisers?

(22 Posts)
anothervisittothepark Sun 20-Jul-14 21:51:15

Or just miss that stage out? My ds wont attempt a pedal bike with stabilisers. Wonder if the stabilisers might actually be putting him off.

ChazzerChaser Sun 20-Jul-14 21:52:54

You don't need to do bike with stabilisers if you've done balance bike. They've learnt how to balance so it's straight to a pedal bike for them to then add in the easier skill of pedals.

hippo123 Sun 20-Jul-14 21:52:56

Just missed that stage out.

mousmous Sun 20-Jul-14 21:53:04

neither used stabilisers.
I think they hold the dc back as the balancing is very different.

BikeRunSki Sun 20-Jul-14 21:53:24

Nope
Balance bike for second birthday, then straight to pedal bike in about half and hour at 3 y 8 m. No stabilisers.

anothervisittothepark Sun 20-Jul-14 21:54:43

Thanks. I knew that was the theory. But thought he might need bike with stabilisers to get used to the pedals first.

MrsHoolie Sun 20-Jul-14 21:56:01

Both mine went from balance bike to pedal bike and no stabilisers.
You could always get him so knee/elbow pads for confidence.

toomuchrubbish Sun 20-Jul-14 22:11:35

We used stabilisers as an interim step but only because after a year of being pretty good ona balance bike re discovered that 4yo ds couldn't pedal and kept watching his feet and losing his balance and crashing.

We've had dtabilisers for 2 weeks, it's boosted his confidence and he' desperate to ride all the time now. Next step is to get rid of the stabilisers before he gets too reliant...

No stabilisers. Just create lots of time for him to play on the bike. We went camping. A long picnic might do it.

No pressure and lots of repetition.

chocisonabikinidiet Sun 20-Jul-14 22:30:01

No stabilisers either. But I knew that my DC were fine with pedals (used trikes at nursery).

myotherusernameisbetter Sun 20-Jul-14 22:32:00

No stabilisers but they could already pedal as they had diggers and dumper trucks.

StandardHeight Sun 20-Jul-14 22:32:27

My ds went straight to riding a pedal bike after his balance bike. He took to it in about 2 minutes. He started riding his balance bike at about age 2. He was riding a bike without stabilisers when he was 3.
They work, defo.

GoogleyEyes Sun 20-Jul-14 22:35:24

If you have a look at the Islabike website they have a page on teaching a confident balance biker to ride a pedal bike without stabilisers. It comes down to holding the child (not the bike). Took dd1 about 10 minutes, if that, and she is not a sporty child. And the bike was a bit too big (but balance bike was too small).

littlemisssarcastic Sun 20-Jul-14 22:35:49

Another that went straight from balance bike to bike with no stabilisers. Not me, DD. They didn't have balance bikes when I was little. grin
Took DD about 20 minutes to get the hang of pedals. She didn't fall off, the 20 mins was to learn how to get going via pedals.

choceyes Sun 20-Jul-14 22:39:30

My DD got on a balance bike at 3.5yrs and used it for 2 weeks before cycling on a bike without stabilisers. Never used stabilisers. DS used a bike with stabilisers and he was nearly 5yrs by the time he would give up on the stabilisers and ride without them. But caught up very quickly and is now a very good BMX rider a year later!

Yamyoid Sun 20-Jul-14 22:45:49

Interesting to read that you hold the child rather than the bike, that's exactly how a grandparent succeeded with ds where we'd failed, now I know why.
Ds never learnt to pedal so had stabilisers but it took ages to get used to them. It would've been better to skip them but I think it was a confidence issue, ds isn't very sporty.
The balance bike was great for him, easier to ride than a scooter but didn't really seem to help with riding an actual bike.

bakingtins Sun 20-Jul-14 22:52:03

No stabilisers, both cycling by 3.5. They had pedalled trikes at nursery. Very quickly (one circuit of the park) got the hang of cycling, starting independently took a little longer to master.

erin99 Sun 20-Jul-14 23:41:41

No no no to stabilisers. With the balance bike they learn to react to the feedback from the bike in the right way, stabilisers will only confuse and give them the wrong feedback. My DC did pedal trikes etc at nursery though, and we did take the pedals off their first pedal bikes at first so they could get used to "balance biking" the bigger, heavier bike.

DD tried on stabilisers for a whole summer. For the last week of the hols we took the stabilisers and pedals off, and let her scoot round like a balance bike. Then put pedals on and she got it in half an hour. Of course children can learn to ride with stabilisers but if they can already balance bike it's a backward step.

mawbroon Sun 20-Jul-14 23:52:45

DS1 was super duper cautious when he was younger and he was not interested on going on the pedal bike without stabilisers. He had been great on his balance bike, but he wasn't willing to try. He had stabilisers for a few weeks then we took them off and he had no problems at all riding the pedal bike. He was 4yrs 10months or so.

DS2 went straight from balance bike to pedal bike (same bike that ds1 refused!) it took him a couple of goes then he was off. He was 4yrs 2 months approx.

Yes but not well! Sabilisers made them wobbly and unsteady and tip going round corners! Took them off and learned to ride no probs

HicDraconis Mon 21-Jul-14 00:39:39

DS1 - straight to pedal bike with stabilisers. Took years to get him confident enough to remove them.

DS2 - balance bike first, then one day he got on DS1's bike, sailed down the hill and started pedalling at the bottom.

Definitely if your DC has got the hang of a balance bike, don't bother with stabilisers. Just to straight to pedal bike.

GhoulWithADragonTattoo Mon 21-Jul-14 00:57:49

My DS had a balance bike. His first bike with pedals arrived with stabilisers on so got him to try it like that and he couldn't pedal it as not used to not being able to get his own balance. Took the stabilisers off and he could pedal it. The only thing is to make sure they can touch the ground as they are getting used to pedalling.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now