Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

How did you stop smoking?

(182 Posts)
rockpink Sun 20-Jul-14 20:15:39

Advice please, I've tried patches, gum etc and hypnotherapy (which worked for 8 months)
Broke up with long term boyfriend and started again in March, basically cos he hated it.
Mad eh?
Had hypnosis again on Wed to stop, was fine until tonight, but have shouted at DS all day and felt such a rotten cow. Took myself out to the yarden and had a fag. Couldnt say it was nice but couldn't say it was horrid either sad
I'm so angry with myself as I managed 4 days.
I so want to stop, I feel I'm being dragged down again.

rockpink Sun 20-Jul-14 21:01:48

Thank you xx

ineedausername Sun 20-Jul-14 21:11:11

e cig here too smile
18 year, 20 a day smoker.
Bought an starter kit online, bought loads of different flavoured liquids and off i went!
DH wasn't intending to stop with me, he tried vaping and hasn't looked back either. Good job my starter kit came with 2 batteries!
I use sweeter dessert flavours, he uses just a plain tobacco flavour.

this is a good starter kit, myepack.co.uk/review/product/list/id/909/category/11/ i think lots of people start with something like this. and yes £30 isn't cheap, but in terms of buying fags everyday it is a n,lot cheaper!

you should pop into the stop smoking thread, lots of different people using different methods msmile

ineedausername Sun 20-Jul-14 21:11:35

stop smoking thread:

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/stop_smoking

Mintyy Sun 20-Jul-14 21:13:01

Cold turkey. 20 Sept 2008.

rockpink Sun 20-Jul-14 21:19:50

Ooo I have just bought an e-cig thingmadoodle. With a menthol add-on.
Please let it work

ps....do you "hide away" with it like you would with a cigarette?

fishybits Sun 20-Jul-14 21:28:31

Finally dawned on me that smoking is a very stupid thing to do and that actually I must be very thick to know what it's doing to me and still carry on. confused

Cold turkey and just get on with it.

Pangaea Sun 20-Jul-14 21:38:16

E cig here too. Currently 'chain smoking' my spearmint one right now.

Frogisatwat Sun 20-Jul-14 21:44:39

I am watching this thread with interest. Sick of being broke. ..and finding out my neighbours who could turn smoking into an Olympic sport have not smoked for 8 weeks using an ecig. I bought one. Day 3. For day one I alternated and yesterday found the real cigs yukky. Today I am on ecig only. I have no cigarettes in the house and no desire to buy any!
Good luck.

Frogisatwat Sun 20-Jul-14 21:46:28

I used to smoke in the garden but I am now 'smoking' in bed. With a keen ear in case a child catches me!

rockpink Sun 20-Jul-14 22:03:10

Forgive me for being thick, but an e-cig is vaping isn't it? Can be done inside?

Frogisatwat Sun 20-Jul-14 22:04:25

Yes it is. ! No smell at all inside. I have never smoked inside. Tis a novelty!

rockpink Sun 20-Jul-14 22:11:58

Thanks! I don't think I would want to smoke inside, I did that in my teens and twenties for long enough.
So do you publicly vape or hide, like I do with the tabs?

LastTango Sun 20-Jul-14 22:12:42

ECig all the way -stopped 21 months ago. I vape inside, yes.

squoosh Sun 20-Jul-14 22:17:21

Alan Carr

Frogisatwat Sun 20-Jul-14 22:18:01

I always hid...

Peaceloveandbiscuits Sun 20-Jul-14 22:19:03

I had really shitty flu and couldn't get out of bed for a week, so just stopped (I only smoked outside). When I got better I tried to smoke but it hurt and tasted like shit, so I thought I'd give quitting a go. A week or so later I found Allen Carr's Easy Way To Stop Smoking at a car boot sale for 20p and it just cemented the decision for me! I also attended a couple of local NHS stop smoking groups which were fairly useful, but as I'd already gone weeks cold turkey I decided against Champix, though it seemed to work really well for everyone there who used it.
Good luck, it's the best decision you'll ever make! I'm three years smoke free now smile

StandardHeight Sun 20-Jul-14 22:29:55

Rockpink, I tried for years to give up, I tried everything possible from patches to hypnosis, from will power to acupuncture. Nothing worked.
Then I read the Alan Carr book 'The Easy Way'.
I gave up for a week the started again.
Then I booked myself on the Alan Carr course. It was booked so far ahead that I thought why not, and it was a money back guarantee what was there to lose.
The week before the course I absolutely did not want to give up. But I wouldn't get the money back unless I attended so I did.
After the first session I started smoking again after a week. They said you have to try a few times with us before you get your money back. So I did the follow up course.
THIS WORKED!
I can absolutely say, seven years later, that I will never ever smoke again - confidently.
Try it, you have nothing to lose.
I do not work for Alan Carr's giving up smoking courses grin

Nancery Sun 20-Jul-14 22:36:36

I got sick of it basically! It was when I wanted to stop, rather than because I knew I ought to stop. I got left some money by my grandfather to 'spend irresponsibly' but went against his wishes and used some to go on an Alan Carr course. I think it worked, but I also think I was ready and wanting it to work first. Before that I wasn't
(I spent the rest if the money travelling round Vietnam, so I did spent some of it as instructed!)

0pheliaBalls Sun 20-Jul-14 22:37:29

DH and I gave up six years ago using those inhalator things. We got them on prescription and were exempt from paying for them at the time (tax credits exemption card) so it was free, but even if we'd had to pay it only would have been two prescriptions a month. DH smoked a lot more than me - I really only smoked with alcohol or when madly stressed, so never more than 20 a week (though in the past I've been on that a day). DH was on about ten a day. As we both liked to smoke with a drink - and that had been our downfall on previous attempts to give up - we stopped drinking too. For a month initially but when we did have a drink we almost caved so we didn't drink agaib until we were safely fag free! Was about three months.

Tbh it wasn't that difficult - DH found it harder than I did but that's because he smoked much more than I did. It does take discipline and focus and doing whatever you need to do to get through the first months - eg avoiding alcohol for us - but by god it's worth it. How we were finding the money to spend forty quid some weeks on fags is a mystery. And just last week I found an old diary of mine from 7 years ago and it STILL stank of stale smoke!

Will NEVER smoke again.

Nancery Sun 20-Jul-14 22:37:59

Ps I'd previously flicked through the Alan Carr book but it made me want yo throw it across the room!

rockpink Sun 20-Jul-14 22:42:10

Thank you. I'm going to try everything. ..

Chest pains on a Monday morning (I was a bit of a weekend binge smoker) coupled with being on the pill meant the fear of thrombosis overrode my desire for a fag. I gave up there and then. The rest was will power, helped with avoiding the triggers - mingling with smokers, going to the pub (pre-ban days) - until the cravings went away. Thankfully I didn't find it too bad but do think I have pretty good impulse control and will power which is a massive help.

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Sun 20-Jul-14 22:50:19

Another Alan Carr graduate here. Stopped 2nd Nov 2006 or 2007, can't remember which - and never smoked again.

HulaHoop12 Sun 20-Jul-14 22:52:10

Ecig - I loved smoking but my DP hated it with a passion. I thought I'd give ecigs a go, they totally surpassed my expectations and it was actually very easy to give up. I then got pregnant and giving up the ecigs wasn't hard at all. Good luck!

FrogStomp Sun 20-Jul-14 23:02:16

I had to give up, surgery related.

Had a fantastic smoking advisor who put me on the patches and inhalator. This combination worked well for me.

Now almost four years smoke free.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now