Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

How did you stop smoking?

(182 Posts)
rockpink Sun 20-Jul-14 20:15:39

Advice please, I've tried patches, gum etc and hypnotherapy (which worked for 8 months)
Broke up with long term boyfriend and started again in March, basically cos he hated it.
Mad eh?
Had hypnosis again on Wed to stop, was fine until tonight, but have shouted at DS all day and felt such a rotten cow. Took myself out to the yarden and had a fag. Couldnt say it was nice but couldn't say it was horrid either sad
I'm so angry with myself as I managed 4 days.
I so want to stop, I feel I'm being dragged down again.

Perfectlypurple Sun 20-Jul-14 20:16:50

Champix. Go to see the stop smoking nurse at the doctors.

HaroldLloyd Sun 20-Jul-14 20:17:27

Champix is good stuff. If you've tried everything def, worth getting.

FidelineAndBombazine Sun 20-Jul-14 20:17:40

Two patches at a time. And Ice cream.

Against medical advice obviously blush but it did work.

trendytoes Sun 20-Jul-14 20:19:03

Hi Rock
Watching with interest because I'm the same. I have bought two(!) ecigs. Gave up with hypnotherapy, then went back. I just feel so weak willedsad

Thisvehicleisreversing Sun 20-Jul-14 20:20:32

I got pregnant. Put me right off them.

Maybe a bit too drastic though. grin

PrivateBenjamin Sun 20-Jul-14 20:20:55

I gave up in December with Alan Carr's easy way to stop smoking book

I also downloaded an app tracking how much money I had saved by quitting (I have been putting that money aside since then and now have almost €2000 saved) . The book really helps you look at smoking as something that is actively hurting you, not an old reliable friend like you consider it.

Good luck smile

KnackeredMuchly Sun 20-Jul-14 20:21:34
HaroldLloyd Sun 20-Jul-14 20:21:47

I had the patches once and got a bit drunk and smoked loads of fags and forget to take it off.

Up all night I was. All I needed was a glow stick and I would have been well away.

Mandy2003 Sun 20-Jul-14 20:22:41

You will get there if you really want to!

I'd smoked for about 30 years then about 4 years ago I got snowed in and could not get to the shops. By the time I could get out again the horrors of withdrawal had passed and I'd made up my mind that smoking was disgusting and illogical. After all, no other creature in the world does it do they?!

So when I did get to the shops I bought Nicorette Minis (like Smint with nicotine) to keep any cravings at bay. The Toyboy is using a e-cigarette with total success.

Build on the feeling you had that it wasn't horrid but wasn't nice!!

So basically if you can break the link in the supply chain (maybe in the absence of snow, convince yourself you can only buy cigarettes at one shop, a distance away, which you have to walk to?) then go cold turkey for a day or two and use replacements? Good luck anyway!

FidelineAndBombazine Sun 20-Jul-14 20:24:46

Really Harold? I must be highly resistant to the stuff blush

LadyLemongrab Sun 20-Jul-14 20:25:27

Ecig.
Been a smoker for 15 years and got the cig thinking it would help me cut down. I literally stopped smoking instantly.
It didn't feel quite as rewarding (iykwim) at first and the difference in weight and way of holding were a bit niggly but only right at the start but the pay off of not stinking of cigarettes was more than enough to spur me on.
I've attempted to smoke an actual cigarette twice since (drink and fellow smokers were involved!) but couldn't take more than two puffs. It just tasted and smelled so dirty. Wanted to stand Unser a shower with my mouth open!
I've gradually moved through progressively lower strength liquid (been 9 months) and feel confident I could give up the ecig...I don't actually want to right now but aim to and even if it was a struggle I know 100% I would go back to cigarettes ever.

LadyLemongrab Sun 20-Jul-14 20:27:20

Wouldn't go back to cigarettes!

rockpink Sun 20-Jul-14 20:29:23

Thanks all.
I did stop using Alan McKenna's book in 2004 as I was having difficulties conceiving and fertility clinic quite rightly told me to sod off and stop smoking. As a result DD came along smile
And I didnt smoke for 8 years, til DH left in 2011 and I've been on (and off) ever since.
Am I allowed to blame him?
What kind of e-cig have you got LadyLemonGrab

HaroldLloyd Sun 20-Jul-14 20:31:18

Totally allowed!

Mefisto Sun 20-Jul-14 20:31:36

Another Allan Carr user here. I used to try and give up all the time and was a pretty heavy smoker. I wasn't at all keen at first but the book is very down to earth and not at all "self-help" style IYKWIM.

In particular I liked his idea that rather than seeing yourself as giving something up (and therefore denying yourself something enjoyable) you are liberating yourself from something that binds you. It made me feel very angry about smoking and I can honestly say, 10 years later, I've never looked back.

Good luck OP, it is something so worth making the effort for.

Letthemtalk Sun 20-Jul-14 20:31:42

E cig here too. After 30 years of smoking, and never managing to go a day without a cigarette I bought an e cig and haven't had a cigarette since (I have had 2 draws on separate occasions, but couldn't have any more, yuck yuck yuck!). It's been just over a year now.

PetiteBateau Sun 20-Jul-14 20:37:30

I went cold turkey. Ate loads of sweets. Gained weight.

Chocrock Sun 20-Jul-14 20:39:18

Paul McKennas book and believe me I had tried EVERYTHING!

LadyLemongrab Sun 20-Jul-14 20:40:18

Well I initially bought one of those you get in supermarkets which looks like an actual cigarette and that was a bit shit.
I then googled and found I had an ecig shop near me went that afternoon and got a starter pack.
So a battery with charger, tank and liquid. Bough sooooo many liquids at the start, so many flavours! And that was fun but after novelty value wore off I realised I only actually liked menthol and have stuck to that since.
I know most ecig users get their kit online, I don't as am lucky enough to have the shop nearby but I know there's long running threads on the stopping smoking section on here which have tons of links and advice about what and where to buy. I doubt I could even tell you the name of my tanks and batteries beyond the fact they say ecig wizard, I just point and say 'one of those please'.

I get a new tank about once a month @£4 and 3 bottles of liquid for £10 which tbh lasts well over a month, so the saving is huge.

BoldBlackCherry Sun 20-Jul-14 20:41:31

I was really sceptical of E cigs and thought they were another silly fad and a waste of money.

Finally gave in and bought a starter kit 2 weeks ago and I haven't smoked since. I will never smoke again. I can't afford to and I never realised how bad the smell was. I can smell it on my clothes that I haven't washed yet and even the dcs clothes were smelling of smoke blush

I can't believe I was happy spending £80+ a week on cigarettes. Never again.

rockpink Sun 20-Jul-14 20:47:21

Right, having just downed -4- a glass of wine I'm ready to do Internet shop....
I don't want my kids clothes smelling of smoke, I dont think they do.
I'm just too stubborn.
Hypnotherapist was (I think) talking about how powerful I was and that I was a role model.

BosieDufflecoat Sun 20-Jul-14 20:47:23

I use e-cigs - I buy them from Apollo, they're really good - and when the battery runs out, I don't go and buy real cigarettes. I do recommend them. They do flavours like coffee, and one called RY4 that tastes of caramel, that are so much nicer than the taste of ashtray in the throat. I was a happy non-smoker until DP got an e-cig and I had a go; they're really good.

When I gave up real cigarettes, I just stopped, cold turkey, but I gave myself a long run-up to it. I set a date.

If you repeat anything often enough, you end up believing it. "From 1st October, I will not smoke" was what I told myself for three months, and by mid-September I believed it so hard that I was actually impatient to stop smoking and found it absolutely foul and pointless. Kept stubbing them out halfway down.

The way I see it is like a massive, massive switch in my head, a huge lever, the kind that you see at railway points, with YES on one side and NO on the other. I threw my switch to NO.

My reasoning is that it is the indecision, the wavering between YES and NO that makes me reach for the fags. Because it's stressful. If I visualise throwing that massive switch to NO and it staying there, it cuts out the stress and the internal dialogue with the nicotine monster. NO. No smoking. "Shall I give up?" or "Shall I just have one more?" or "Shall I give up after his packet runs out?" are all agitating, indecisive, and stressful. Stress makes you smoke. Throw the switch.

You will get some incredible arguments from your internal nicotine monster. "You haven't had one for three days! You can have one as a reward." NO.

Very best of luck.

LST Sun 20-Jul-14 20:49:13

E cigs all the way. It's been 5 weeks.

Letthemtalk Sun 20-Jul-14 21:01:28

Bosie, I agree that the difficult bit is actually making the decision to stop and believing that you really can stop. I can't believe how easy it has been for me, should have done it years ago.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now